South Park City Colorado - Jens Moller

While researching for a possible trip out west October 2017 I stumbled upon this article by Jens Moller.

I'm thinking that it will be a good way for us to get a Ghost Town experience, even if it is a bit sanitized. We aren't likely to get out on many out of the way trails.

Jens said:
If you are traveling on highway 9 or 285 west of the Front Range (Denver - Colorado Springs - Pueblo) odds are good that you will drive by or thru Fairplay. On the northern end of Fairplay as highway 9 leaves the city going towards Alma you'll find South Park City. South Park City as you see it never existed as itself, its actually the work of many people who went to ghost towns and moved entire buildings here and placed them along side existing structures. Now everyone can stop in and see for themselves how people lived. They not only brought back buildings, but they also took artifacts and placed them in the places that they would have appeared over 100 years ago. If you are interested in seeing what an early mining city might have looked like in the 'good old days', this is an easy and pleasant afternoon adventure.
There are pictures and more information in his well written article here.

http://www.colomar.com/ColoradoPlaces/spark_city.html

Thanks goes to Jens yet again.

Unfortunately Jens has recently passed. With his passing we lost a great contributor here and apparently a good family man. RIP

What I believe is his last post.

My 2002 T1N Sprinter is not much more expensive to maintain than my 1992 Jeep Cherokee. It gets about 8 mpg better fuel economy than the Jeep. My T1N is a workhorse (hauls quite a lot - often it has 1 1/2 tons of hay in it, plus a trailer with another 2 tons of hay behind it. It does this getting 22 mpg (I average 24 mpg when empty). I maintain it myself. It would be too expensive to take it to a dealer for fluids (engine & transmission), belts, brakes, hoses and general work. If you can't do any of your own maintenance, it could get expensive to own.

My wife is handicapped and I always have a few hundred pounds worth of battery powered mobility gear in both my Jeep and Sprinter. I bought the Sprinter because some of this is big and I need to have it along (often 1000 lbs worth of Mobility gear for multi day trips) to take my wife around. We get out a lot. I have put over 90,000 miles on the Sprinter since spring of 2010. The carrying capacity is why I bought it (My sisters horses appreciate the hay and feed I haul in it).

No new vehicle is cheap to maintain if you have to pay someone else to get it done.
vic

Top Bottom