Foxwell NT622 code scanner tool review

Colorado_Al

I saw a thread here about the Foxwell tools and decided to give one a try and report back. I ended up ordering the Foxwell NT622 from aliexpress.com as I could not find one available in the USA. There are a few sellers who have the Foxwell NT624 which is the same hardware but for all makes and models. The Foxwell NT622 that I purchased is for European Makes and models, excluding French & Italian. Since I only have a 2003 T1N Sprinter to work on, it saved me over $150 to get the European only model.
This is where I ordered it from:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014...Scanner-OBD2-Code-Scanner-All/2042221085.html

I purchased it for $256.50. The price fluctuates but you can usually get it for $270 or less, shipping included.

It arrived via DHL Air Express 11 days after placing the order. No customs problems, good tracking and good communication from the seller. Once I have a chance to test it out, I will report back.

Attachments

Last edited:

RileyC

2002 140 shc, 2005 158 sh
Thanks for biting the bullet and buying the scanner. I was looking at the Foxwell nt 612 which is cheaper but similar with scanning for only 4 systems; as opposed to all systems on the 622. Iwas unsure of what I need and how many systems are present for my recently purchased 2005 t1n.

Colorado_Al

Here are some resources that I found online regarding Foxwell:
The update is not great. If you have a PC with more than one HD or other USB devices, it will fail. After trying it on my Desktop to no avail, I got it to work on my Laptop. Also, it turns out updating was absolutely unnecessary. My device shipped with the latest available software updates already installed. Big :thumbup: to Dayle @ Foxwell who answered my tech questions right away and was very helpful!

USA website & tech support
http://foxwell.tools/
646-583-2152

Foxwell Pro Series Manual:
http://foxwell.tools/pro-series-operation-manual/

Foxwell Pro series PC software (Install on Windows PC to enable software update of the scanner):
http://foxwell.tools/foxwell-software-updates-pro-series/

Instructions on how to register the Scan tool in order to receive updates:
http://foxwell.tools/foxwell-scan-tools-update-registration/

Foxwell Scan Tools Software Update Procedure:
http://foxwell.tools/foxwell-scan-tools-software-update-procedure/

The gist of it is (at least as far as I can tell without having the device already):
1. Install the software on your Windows PC.
2. Plug the scan tool into your PC by connecting the USB cable (it appears that this is only to give it power, not sure if there is any data transfer capability via USB)
3. Using the arrow keys on the scanner, navigate to "setup", "about" and record serial number and the registration password
4. Open the PC software and enter your registration info including serial # and password from the scanner
5. Remove scanner from USB
6. Remove SD card from scanner and insert into SD card slot/reader on your PC (you might need to buy one if your PC does not have one)
7. close any windows that popup on your PC after inserting the card - DO NOT FORMAT CARD LIKE WINDOWS MAY SUGGEST!
8. Login to the PC software using your e-maill address and password that you made in the registration
9. Select the updates that you want to apply and run them - this downloads and applies the updates to your SD card
10. When updates are complete, exit software, remove SD card from computer and install in scanner

Last edited:

Colorado_Al

OK. So far, so good. The initial, 1 paragraph review is that it seems to work well as a OBDII and Sprinter specific scanner. It has 2 separate modes. 1 as OBDII and can scan for generic codes there. The other as a model specific scanner and can scan extended data there.
It was able to scan all modules automatically and produced stored codes, and clear them much more efficiently than DAD or Autoenginuity scanners. Live data, however is not as comprehensive. For example, checking the common rail system, it did not report any live data available. My Autoenginuity has much better live data. I was hoping this would be a good handheld replacement for the Autoenginuity system. Instead, it seems to be a good compliment. Very fast at scanning and detecting codes, and at clearing them. Not great for live data. Pictures and more in depth review to follow when time allows.
Thanks!
Al

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Among the critical tests that might cause a buying stampede: can it lift the 82 mph speed governor?
Can it bleed the brakes?
Can it set the injector codes?
Can it change the tire sizes?
Can it change/clear/read the "driving style" from the Transmission control module?
Can it change the rear end ratio?

thanks
--dick

Colorado_Al

Among the critical tests that might cause a buying stampede: can it lift the 82 mph speed governor?
Can it bleed the brakes?
Can it set the injector codes?
Can it change the tire sizes?
Can it change/clear/read the "driving style" from the Transmission control module?
Can it change the rear end ratio?

thanks
--dick
Hi Dick.
It is not a programmer, just a reader. You can buy an upgraded model the NT642 that can activate the EPB system to bleed the brakes for $370.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Prof...II-EOBD-Scanner-Free-Shipping/1391002743.html

The model that I purchased does not do that, so I can't test it. I do not believe that it can change injector codes, tire sizes, rear end ratio, nor can it reset the transmission adaptation(though that is one I have not checked).

Last edited:

Colorado_Al

Here are codes that it pulled from my Sprinter today. Of all of the codes that it found, the Autoenginuity could only get the P2007 and did not give the -1 sub code.
Autoenginuity was able to clear the P2007.
The Foxwell NT622 cleared them all.
All of the issues besides the P2007 have been repaired or were just one time faults due to low battery voltage, but I could not read or find them with the Autoenginuity scanner.

Attachments

Colorado_Al

So, in all, I think it is a good handheld scanner that does much more than a generic OBDII scanner. The one failing that I see, at least on my 03 OM612 engine is that it does not have live data for injector quantity or for what the injector quantity request is. In fact, it can't give any live data from the Common Rail injection system. This may be different on other models of Sprinter, so I'm happy to have anyone who is nearby who wishes to check it out on their Sprinter to test it. Because of the inability to show live fuel data, I don't think it can replace a computer attached system like the DAD (if you can get one and get it to work) or Autoenginuity. I do think it is a great compliment to a computer based system. Much easier to use and faster to hook up and read/clear codes. I am going to make it my go to tool for OBD checks and if it shows codes related to fuel system that need real time data monitoring, then I'll get out the laptop and Autoenginuity system.
Interestingly, it gives all sorts of other live data: Standard OBDII like Load, Coolant temp, Intake pressure, RPM, Speed. Wheel speed sensors, Instrument panel buttons & lights, transmission,

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Can you access the additional data (such as the "occurred at 64123 km") packet that's associated with the stored codes?
(i assume you'd get there by "clicking" on one of the messages)

Typical DAD screen:

cdiscan.jpg

thanks
--dick

Last edited:

Colorado_Al

Can you access the additional data (such as the "occurred at 64123 km") packet that's associated with the stored codes?
(i assume you'd get there by "clicking" on one of the messages)

thanks
--dick
I don't know. I didn't try it. Next time I know there is a stored code, I will give it a try.

Colorado_Al

Thanks for biting the bullet and buying the scanner. I was looking at the Foxwell nt 612 which is cheaper but similar with scanning for only 4 systems; as opposed to all systems on the 622. Iwas unsure of what I need and how many systems are present for my recently purchased 2005 t1n.
I think the Foxwell NT622 is worth the $40 more than the NT612. Gives better coverage of systems in the vehicle compared to the NT612. I had originally settled on the NT612 but there are several systems that the NT622 does that are important on Sprinters. The Skreem module (security), Doors, instrument panel, lights, and others.

Colorado_Al

Had a CEL today. Used the Foxwell NT622 to troubleshoot instead of my computer. Way faster. It took about 5 minutes to check it out compared to about 30 minutes with the laptop.
It showed a MAF sensor issue. I was able to read it and the underling codes and clear the code.

Attachments

Colorado_Al

Will it read NCV3 codes?
Foxwell claims it does.
I have no way to test it. I only have a T1N.
I suppose I could take a 2014 NCV3 for a test drive from the dealership and test it out?

Anyone in the ST Louis area with an NCV3 who would like to check it out, send me a PM!
Al

cartopics

I am happy that you were able to finally test it and are satisfied with it. In the last post that you mentioned purchases from AliExpress - I agree they have a good policy up to the point where you receive and then CONFIRM your order. If you do need a refund after confirmation of the order, you will have to send it back to CHINA before the refund is processed/approved. The case + scanner weight on the Foxwell will add up to about $64.00 via USPS cheapest way possible (no tracking outside US).
I may be able to get the NT622 back in stock and cheaper than Aliexpress. The only issue would be the amount of people interested in purchasing one. Foxwell sells to us (dealers) in boxes of 10PCS minimum. So obviously, the more people order the more leverage I have with Foxwell.

Colorado_Al

I am happy that you were able to finally test it and are satisfied with it. In the last post that you mentioned purchases from AliExpress - I agree they have a good policy up to the point where you receive and then CONFIRM your order. If you do need a refund after confirmation of the order, you will have to send it back to CHINA before the refund is processed/approved. The case + scanner weight on the Foxwell will add up to about $64.00 via USPS cheapest way possible (no tracking outside US).
I may be able to get the NT622 back in stock and cheaper than Aliexpress. The only issue would be the amount of people interested in purchasing one. Foxwell sells to us (dealers) in boxes of 10PCS minimum. So obviously, the more people order the more leverage I have with Foxwell.
Sounds good! Please let us know if you get the NT622 in stock.
Thanks!

showkey

Am I missing something ????? The Autel 802 seems to do the same things for about the same money ( maybe even a better interface) and while it might come from China there appears to be a U.S. distributor ??????? And they do not charge $62 for shipping.......

Top Bottom