1982 Ford Campwagon to My Sprinter Conversion

incognito

incognito
hy,

some pictures of my Sprinter conversion.
i would like to thanks everybody who contributed to the Sprinter forum.

http://picasaweb.google.com/107357551176877076198/MySprinterConversion#

My Sprinter Conversion

I wanted a camper to travel. I wanted a simple,economical, cozy camper.
Old campers are v8 or v10 , often made from fiberglass
The new ones were out of my price range (new Sprinters campers sell in Canada around 116 000 $ CAD, plus taxes is 130k). But i wanted a camper which has less windows, more isolation., not very large so i don't have to tow a car for visiting other cities.

So this project was made following some ideas I know The KISS principle: keep it short and simple, and as for the equiment: If you don't have it, it won't break...
Remember that my the idea is to travel, not to put money into -impress your friends-expensive equipment. And don't forget the time factor : more equipment i put, more time will take to fit that equipment instead of travelling. Also my van will travel a lot into Canada so i made it for this climate it has more insulation and furnace and no air conditionning.
I just found un 1982 Ford Campwagon camper for sale. Five houses away. The owner had it from the beginning, but due to illness didn't started the van the last two years so i supposed it was pretty jammed. I didn't even bother to start it. One Man's Junk is Another Man's Treasure so we bought the old Ford.
We bought it for 800 $, after the owner showed me that all the equipment is working: fridge, furnace, stove . Only a fridge costs around 1200$, a furnace 600 $, and the two sofa bed would cost 3000$ making.We liked the 2 sofa bed passenger seats arrangement, which are impossible to find elsewhere. I even took the curtains, Working one or two hours a day for the van, it took me one week to take the furniture and the equipment into my yard. Then i called the salvage yard to take the rest of the Ford.
I still think now when i've finish this project that it was a very good ideea to buy the old camper. It is far easier to fit the equipment from one van to another than to start from zero. I was pretty sure the equipment will fit becose the vans were nearly the same width. It is a lot more economical to have a donor van
Bought a used 2003 Dodge Sprinter 3500 158 wheelbase
.We found the Sprinter the perfect conversion vehicle in term of fuel economy , lenght, width. Interior stand up space, so the choice was not very hard. They sold the Sprinter all over the world, even in Australia and South America can find it, so it should not be a problem repair it if some day decide to travel far away.
Moreover the Sprinter is not larger than a normal sedan vehicle so is easy to drive in the city. This feature is better in cities we don't know.
Looking over the internet I saw the Sprinters have two active forums, where we can discuss their qualities. problems, talking to other people from a lot of places. That is great.

Equipment list:
Sink, furnace, 3 way fridge( change for 12v nova kool), stove, sofa-beds, curtains from the Ford Campwagon
interior lights from another salvage yard van ( all of them 6 $)
Left passenger Window installation by Duro vitre d'auto
New Passengers seat belts and seat reinforcement by VanAction
Thetford toilet
Sony radio and Garmin 5000 gps with rear view camera
Homemade Insulating bubble curtain
Co detector, propane detector, smoke detector
Shops:
Rona Entrepot (as Home Depot) prelaminated wood panels 8 'x 16 '' great for making storage cabinets,
Rona Entrepot isolation, countertop, screws, selfdrilling screws, hoses, wall paper, linoleum, carpet, hoses, connectors etc
Boulet Lemelin yachts for boat switch,
Acces Electronique for wires, switches, 6 fusible holder, fan
ebay.com for 24 gal water tank and shuflow 12v waterpump, garmin 5000 gps , rear view camera, 100w solar kit
Canadian Tire 300W inverter , cupholders
naviclub.com for nova kool 12v fridge .
Sprinter-forum for all the great conversion threads. I like to thanks everybody who contributed to the Sprinter forum.
Thank you,
incognito

bstory

Congratulations on your new camper! Great idea to use the insides of an old one. We are still working on ours but using it as we work. Also couldn't have done it without this forum.:clapping:

incognito

incognito
Solar water heater

HY,
For more photos click on the picasa link

Solar water heater

After this summer vacation it was very clear I needed a hot shower in my van.

So I’ve finished my bathroom walls with hi-core plastics 4x8 panels bought at the hardware store.
I couldn’t fit propane heater were I’ve wanted under my counter, and the smallest electric heater was 1500 watts so it was too big for my only battery
So I’ve thought of a solar water heater. First I’ve tried with a regular black tank but due to the pressure it just cracked. So the system can not work without a pressure hose or a pressure tank.
My water pump is rated 75 p.s.i and I’ve found a black PVC hose 1 3/4 interior diameter rated 75 p.s.i at the hardware shop so I’ve bought 100 feet .
Measured the length and the width (interior and exterior of the loop) in order to fit exactly on to my van roof and tape it when still at the ground. taped it well to keep the desired form
Then put the loop on the roof and attached it with galvanized metallic trellis .at the end of the treillis were 4 used Thule supports. some stainless screws….
Then put a valve for the cold water hose which goes up for the solar hose and connected the other end of the hose to the hot shower.
Measured on a 30 C Canadian summer day at 4 p.m.the water had 47 C, around 117 F. in fact it was too hot for a shower.
With the end of this project I consider My Sprinter Conversion DONE, FINISHED.
I’m very happy with the result.
Now there is one thing left to see: just how far this van can travel with my family and me.
Have safe travels
incognito

Attachments

incognito

incognito
HY,

just came home from the second Usa trip this time 9000 miles.

http://blog.travelpod.com/members/loupsvoyagent

Had to rebuilt the sofas , foam and fabric. Fabric is Model Mozart color 6.
and i did the 2 front chairs . conversion look quite nice now.
extrarigid foam
very nice
have safe travels
incognito

Attachments

incognito

incognito
sold the Sprinter bought a 2005 Ram 5.9 cummins diesel with new engine and a Bigfoot 3000 truck camper rated -30 C .thermopane dual windows , enclose and heated tanks, basement, and other nice options. For more offroad travels
have safe travels
incognito

Top Bottom