Michelin LTX MS2 245/75 R16

We have 80TKM/50K miles on our original spec LTX AS 225 75R16s. They still have some miles left in them (read: summer usage only) but after our 60 mile trip yesterday in blizzard-like conditions I'd like to replace them. I read the NV3 comments on these tires and have spoken with local tire rep, both have spoke highly over these tires. Tire rack has them for $680/set. Unfortunately they don't come in the T1N stock size of 225. I've tried a couple online tire calculators and have determined there's a touch over an inch diameter difference between the two. Any T1N owners out there running these? I'm not crazy about the idea of trimming but likely would be willing. We have the mudflaps too. Any insight is appreciated.

Rob

mackconsult

I don't think its an issue. Mine currently has 225/75 16's and my speedo is off by about 5 MPH. When it says I am doing 75 my GPS says I am doing about 71.

I went to tire factory to ask about my van. The information states 225/75 16 on the van, which the tire factory guy said my speed was off the because the ECU is probably programmed for 245/75 16. He said he normally puts 245/75 16 on sprinters also.

Time will tell, because I am actually working on buying Kat's 245/75 16's that she just took off her new NCV3 to put on my T1N.

KL2BE

We have 80TKM/50K miles on our original spec LTX AS 225 75R16s. They still have some miles left in them (read: summer usage only) but after our 60 mile trip yesterday in blizzard-like conditions I'd like to replace them. I read the NV3 comments on these tires and have spoken with local tire rep, both have spoke highly over these tires. Tire rack has them for $680/set. Unfortunately they don't come in the T1N stock size of 225. I've tried a couple online tire calculators and have determined there's a touch over an inch diameter difference between the two. Any T1N owners out there running these? I'm not crazy about the idea of trimming but likely would be willing. We have the mudflaps too. Any insight is appreciated.

Rob
The OEM Michelin LTX A/S tires on our LTV were great, and surprisingly capable on snow and ice. Come replacement time I, had a hard time finding the LTX A/S. I got various stories, mostly that they had been discontinued and replaced by either LTX M/S (all season, but road oriented) or LTX A/T 2 (also all season but a bit more off-road oriented). Whether the discontinuance of the LTX A/S is true or not, I went with the Michelin LTX M/S (LT225/75R16/E 115R) from Costco.
http://tires2.costco.com/SearchResults.aspx?SearchID=5129baae-c3b1-4f89-a3f2-63855786fd43
When I bought last summer, Costco/Michelin had a $70 off special on all Michelins with a purchase of 4 tires.
Since October, I now have 20,000 miles on the new LTX M/S s after an extend trip from Alaska to Nova Scotia and round-about back to Seattle. They have performed at least as well as the OEM LTX A/Ss although I have fewer snow-miles on them.
:2cents: I personally would recommend that if you cannot find the LTX A/S in the correct size that you go with the LTX M/S or possibley the LTX A/T 2 if you want a more off-road tire.

Thanks for the replies Gents.

I considered the ATs but after speaking with the tire rep he pointed out that the new MS2s have a tread wear rating of 720 while the comparable ATs only have 500. That's nearly a 50% difference in favor of the MS2s. The difference in cost is less then $100 on a set and there's a $70 in store rebate being offered for this month as well. I'm leaning heavily towards the MS2s but I'd like to solid feedback on fitment.

On my 158 2003 T1N, I am running the 245/75 r 16 LTX A/S on all 4 for the 4th winter now with great results. If you don't run them on the front, your turning and steering will suffer in the snow and slush. They rub slightly on the front mud flap when turning but have not worn through as a result. I run the same size street tread in the summer. I estimate my speed and odometer being @3% more than they say. I ran some Cooper M/S in 225 size the first 2 winters and looks like the Michelins will get at least 4X the mileage.

I'm pleased to hear that the 245s fit. I can live with a little mudflap rubbing. We're running the AS tires now too but in the 225 size. They're okay but we live in a rural setting and I'd like to get something a bit more aggressive this time round.

Boot

I have an 03 long and tall van. I went from stock 225's and went up 2 sizes ! I think they are 235 85 16. I had to trim just a little bit. Your tire size wil fit no problem and will drop the rpms a little too. I was able to find the M/S and they are incredible it the snow and rain , and ride great on clean roads too.

Ciprian

Spark Plugs not allowed!
Just make sure you replace all 4 of them. Do not replace only 2, or you will confuse the transmission/ASR/ESP etc, and you will be stuck in 2nd gear. :(

All four are getting replaced. I just spoke with someone who runs the MS2 and say they're not that crazy about their winter performance but are generally pleased with them otherwise. I'm on the fence between these and full on WInter tires. I'm leaning more towards proper winter specific tires.

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Just make sure you replace all 4 of them. Do not replace only 2, or you will confuse the transmission/ASR/ESP etc, and you will be stuck in 2nd gear. :(

I am thinking the 235/85/16 might be the best upgrade size from stock, seeing as it lowers the RPM a slight amount......

What do most folks do about the spare when changing the size like this? Leave it stock size at 225/75/16 and use it for trouble only for short trips to s tire facility if tire troubles occur?

Have any tire places been hesitant to put on larger tires than factory recommendations like they do sometimes?

Ciprian

Spark Plugs not allowed!
What do most folks do about the spare when changing the size like this? Leave it stock size at 225/75/16 and use it for trouble only for short trips to s tire facility if tire troubles occur?

Have any tire places been hesitant to put on larger tires than factory recommendations like they do sometimes?
I would change the spare also.

I don't know what happens if only one tire of the 4 is different size. It might be that you only get the ESP/ABS lights on and nothing more than that.

But I read it where someone changed 2 tires to a different size and then the transmission went in LHM, meaning it was stuck in 2nd gear. The computer thought that the transmission was slipping since it got different readings on both rear wheels than the front.

On mine, I replaced only front tires with the same size, and the rear tires were almost all worn off, and in some situations, hard turn and braking, the ABS or traction control would kick in. This sprinter is very sensitive to tire sizes.

I ordered 4 Michelin LTX winters last week and had them installed today. We live in a rural area and the roads today here are rather drifted over. The difference between the AS and the new Winters is night and day. $840 for four installed, balanced, valve stems, life time flat and torquing and this was local too! From my research this was VERY competitive with the big brothers online and it's nice to support local. I purchased 225s. The tires look great too.

I just thought I'd report back on my opinion of the Michelin snows. Love 'em. I've driven in a variety of typical Canadian winter conditions and have to say I'm very pleased thus far. Yesterday pulled a car trailer and shuffled a couple VW Beetles around even with greasy roads it was hard to induce a slipped tire. Now hopefully they wear nicely only time will tell with this.

On a side note, I like the more aggressive tread pattern and the "new" look it gives the van. I'll likely go with the AT2s for the summers unless I get a great deal on some Conti's.

robertmcclurg

On my 158 2003 T1N, I am running the 245/75 r 16 LTX A/S on all 4 for the 4th winter now with great results. If you don't run them on the front, your turning and steering will suffer in the snow and slush. They rub slightly on the front mud flap when turning but have not worn through as a result. I run the same size street tread in the summer. I estimate my speed and odometer being @3% more than they say. I ran some Cooper M/S in 225 size the first 2 winters and looks like the Michelins will get at least 4X the mileage.

I have 2006 w 15 inch, need new tires. thinking of Mich 245 MS2 on 16 inch steel wheels, but I think only 6 inch wide rims vs newer 7 inch wide. Does anyone see problem, or go w older Mich 225 MS, but not 70,000 warranty on? MPG is most important to me, Thanks

Goodyear silent armor with kevlar belts are reputed to run cooler, quieter, and stronger than steel belted tires. I haven't put enough miles to know how they last but loved them especially when airing down in Baja. I bought 5 for the spare at the time and they were the 225 75 16's. I wish I had known at the time I could have gone bigger maybe up to 265's from what I have seen but maybe next time if I can put the miles on these. It would be interesting to hear if anyone knows how these hold up over however many miles they are known to last. Anyone out there have any knowledge of these? Plus I noticed my wheels are 16 by 8 according to the plate inside the drivers door jamb. This seems to be unusual for most sprinters that I have heard of so my wheels could definitely handle the extra width tires. 06 158" high roof 2500.

Top Bottom