Automatic temperature control

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
The automatic temperature control knob in your Sprinter is actually a fairly accurate thermostat control-IF you're driving long distance and give it adequate time to achieve the selected temerature. Here's some info that may be useful for long highway trips-winter or summer. Knob pointing at 6:00 position(full cold) is 62.5 degrees. Knob at end of blue zone/beginning of white zone is 70 degrees. Knob at 3:00 position(middle of white zone)is 75 degrees. Knob in middle of red zone 80 degrees. And for those who like it hot-knob at 12:00 position(full heat) is 140 degrees. Doktor A

sikwan

06 Tin Can
One day I'm going to have to move that temp sensor closer to the air flow coming right out of the vent so that I can better control the temperature.

Sometimes I just want warm air, but I get hot air when it's just above the 6 o'clock position. :thumbdown:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Agreed. There is no real "low" setting for the heat it seems.
It's a accurate system when used on a long duration run. In winter the exit temp of the vents will be full hot until interior reaches the selected temp-then the vent temp will moderate to hold desired interior temp setting. Doktor A

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
The automatic temperature control knob in your Sprinter is actually a fairly accurate thermostat control-IF you're driving long distance and give it adequate time to achieve the selected temerature. Here's some info that may be useful for long highway trips-winter or summer. Knob pointing at 6:00 position(full cold) is 62.5 degrees. Knob at end of blue zone/beginning of white zone is 70 degrees. Knob at 3:00 position(middle of white zone)is 75 degrees. Knob in middle of red zone 80 degrees. Doktor A

Only for those like Doktor A with self-installed dual compressor ACs, 2004+ Sprinters with dual compressors standard or those in Canada. I can drive across the US with my 2002 with full AC on in the summer and not get below 80 on the inside.

9/14/2007 edit: My comment above was made prior to a repair that improved the effectiveness of the
AC. Control, though, is still elusive. See https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10552&postcount=12 .

Last edited:

talkinghorse43

Our '02 140" passenger 2500 SHC has the single compressor system with the rear evaporator and also has factory installed insulation package and factory tinted windows (plastic film overlays); and is arctic white. At first, we had trouble with the AC like you describe, but after warranty service to replace a leaking fitting, the AC controls on long trips. Most times we don't even need to turn on the rear evaporator. Last summer, on our way from San Francisco to Boston at 12,000 lbs GCVW, we took the southern route hoping to avoid mountain grades (not successful) and the AC controlled even with outside temps up to 109F.

Top Bottom