Relay Block List Map Diagram

My 2004 doesn't have a map or diagram which lists what the various relay positions are under the seat.

This is the relay block.

023RelayBlockFanRelaySm.jpg

I traced the Electric Auxiliary Fan relay for the A/C condenser to position #4 by using wire colors.

Even though they claim the positions vary by options ordered, I'd appreciate it if someone could scan or photograph a relay map from a 2004 and post it here. At least then I can have a place to start checking for wire colors to identify my relays.

Perhaps some different year maps will help others too. Thanks in advance. vic

There's more info here.

Last edited:

Dick,
Thanks. I must have breezed by that. I don't remember ever seeing it. vic

edit: Interesting though. On my 2004 there isn't even a relay in the position that this diagram shows as the A/C Aux Fan Relay. Mine is in the position #4 "Time Delay Relay" on this diagram. I also have a relay in position #1 (upper left corner, not in line) and this diagram shows none. This diagram also doesn't agree with the one from my book on the number of Mini ISO relays. I guess that re-enforces using wire colors to verify that you're in the proper place.

023a2004relayBlockSm.jpg

From my book

023RelayBlockFanRelaySm.jpg

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I must have breezed by that.
My apologies for not providing a page reference.
That was page 8W-11-3 (acrobat page 389) from the 2004 Service Manual CD's main file 2004-VA-SM.pdf (44+ megabytes).
CD part number 81-370-04070CD ("2004 Service Information", Sprinter June 2004 Release, DaimlerChrysler)

Pages 8W-11-8 and onward provide socket pin (cavity) lists and wire colors, but do not try to specify "relay position XX".
Likewise the schematics only will say "(in relay block)" without attempting to cite a specific location.

Are you "just documenting" (if so, please post the final results), or chasing some particular issue?

have fun hunting...
--dick
p.s. note to other readers: there are -also- a few relays on the panel at the side of the driver's seat pedestal (the Starter Relay is there), and on the lower edge of the fuse/relay block under the steering column.

p.p.s. I have the cargo area secondary heater core... so i have another circulation pump, fan, and (i assume) associated relays that aren't listed on that Relay Block allotment at all.
Yup... "someday" i should wander through and make a sheet for -my- block, too.
(i do wish that -all- of the text in the Service Manual schematics was searchable... it would ease finding what/where/who the "Bk/Gr" wire might be...)

Last edited:

My apologies for not providing a page reference

Are you "just documenting" (if so, please post the final results), or chasing some particular issue?

have fun hunting...
--dick
Dick,
Thanks for the page references. The PDF page numbers weren't the same in my manual, but I found the section.

The A/C Electric Fan questions got me interested, so I guess I'm "just documenting".

Some looking around at the connector pin outs and schematics shows me that you really need to pay attention to the colors to identify the proper relay. Some of the colors on relays seem to be similar with different number designations on the schematics. I need to double check that my A/C relay is indeed #4. I used an LED flashlight last night and now realize that it may not be so great for color rendition for wire colors and traces.

As an example it looks like some of the wire colors for the A/C AUXILIARY FAN RELAY (IN RELAY BLOCK) and the CIRCULATION PUMP RELAY (RELAY BLOCK). Each has BL/YL so it appears you need to look at all the wire colors, not just see a couple that match and figure you're on the right one. I wish I had an accurate relay map. That would be much easier.

Sorry I can't be more help. It's pretty dry reading/investigating and I'm not driven now by needing to resolve a problem.

Thanks again for the feedback. vic

Now to add more doo-doo to the game.

The A/C Aux Relay schematic 8W-42-2 I have shows the contact 87 relay output to the fan as 14 DG/BK. The connector pinouts A/C AUXILIARY FAN RELAY (IN RELAY BLOCK) (page 266 in my manual) shows 87 14DG/WT A/C AUXILIARY FAN RELAY OUTPUT.

One shows dark green with a black trace, the other dark green with white as the output from the relay. Which do you believe? I guess you'll know when you check it through. It confirms what I thought earlier. Every wire color on the relay should be verified to identify a relay position function.

Not that this matters, but I think some of the fuse map and relay map confusion comes from MB using essentially custom wiring schemes based upon options ordered by the customer. The Detroit iron method of putting in the same harnesses (and then the relay positions and such don't generally change) and using only the ones you need for what is optioned has the advantage of keeping things more the same vehicle to vehicle. FWIW. vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The A/C Aux Relay schematic 8W-42-2 I have shows the contact 87 relay output to the fan as 14 DG/BK. The connector pinouts A/C AUXILIARY FAN RELAY (IN RELAY BLOCK) (page 266 in my manual) shows 87 14DG/WT A/C AUXILIARY FAN RELAY OUTPUT.
For that matter, the schematic on 8W-42-9 also shows DG/BK for pin 30 on the Circulation Pump Relay.

But i just looked at the Relay Block pinouts on page 8W-11-8, and -I- see DG/BK listed for pin 87 of the A/C Auxiliary Fan Relay. So i'm not seeing the DG/WT you're mentioning. (the "14" is wire gauge/size)

RelayBlock1.jpg

and the schematic on 8W-42-2 agrees with that color set:

RelayBlock2.jpg

Just to keep things interesting, some wire colors -change- as you go through a splice. Page 8W-42-15 has the Cabin Heater Assembly pin 6 going through C2 (connector two) as BK/BL/DG, but after passing Splice 362 (see also page 8W-11-35) it becomes plain old BK.

--dick

Last edited:

There is a more recent thread with information here.

vic

Top Bottom