Routing cables behind audio deck.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Here's a picture I took when working on my stereo. I had to route a few wires to an aftermarket deck and the only way that I could do it was to remove the entire top of the dash.

IMGP0001.JPG

I routed the wires behind the vents because it would get in the way when reinstalling the deck back into its slot.

Seek

zaskarkid

Nice pic. I found it easier to stuff the extra wiring and "brain" units in the center console/shifter area. I installed a single din dvd player with a flip up touch screen, and ipod interface.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Ok, how do you remove the top of the dash ?
You need to remove...

1. Center console trim.

Look at the picture above and you'll see the center console trim removed.

2. Driver's side gauge and vent trim.

3. Passenger side vent trim.

4. A-pillar & B-pillar trim, so that the tweeter grilles can be removed.

Then there's access to the screws.

Toyman

The reason I ask is that I'm trying to get my radio back in the hole and need to get to the back of the wiring harness.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Here's some detail, hopefully it answers some questions. I'm sure not all.

First, remove the timer or the pocket shown below.
IMGP0004.JPG
Remove screw. Picture shows screw already removed.

Panel 3 pops out from the bottom and is pulled downward to release tabs. Downward arrows show tabs.
dash.JPG
Remove screws (1), pull and squeeze downward/outward to release enclosure (2).

You can see the enclosure tabs (red arrows) in the picture below.
IMGP0003.JPG

Read up on this thread to remove the driver's side vent...

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=875&highlight=led

After the driver's side is removed, remove the tray (1) by lifting the forward portion of the tray, pull forward and remove.
dash3.JPG
I don't remember if you have to remove the airbag to remove the front cover as shown in the picture. You do have to get the cover out of the way so that the side vents can be removed to access the screws behind.

Don't forget to remove the dash speaker covers. You have to pop off the a-pillar covers and then the dash speaker covers. Very easy to do.

Picture of driver's side vent and cover removed to expose screws (red arrows)
IMGP0006.JPG
Similar amount of screws on the airbag side.

It seems like a lot of work. Hmmm, maybe it is. :smilewink: I've done it so many times, I think I can do it in my sleep.

If there are any questions, let me know.

Seek

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
I need at some point to fix the r/h bulb in behind my heater controls. When they were replaced I'm guessing it did not get plugged back in properly. Once in a great while it glows:thinking: . Looks as if I'd need to dig just as deep for that procedure. Good descriptions as always Seek:thumbup: I have the CD too which is great for stuff like this!

Top Bottom