Recall H44

B

Brian T

Just ran across this recall notice issued February 26, 2009 on the Dodge website. It applies to our Sprinter but it's in winter storage for a couple more weeks. We haven't had any problems so hopefully this will prevent future problems.

EMISSIONS RECALL H44 – Reprogram Engine Control Module
Dear: (Name)
Chrysler has determined that some 2007-2009 Dodge and Freightliner Sprinter vehicles may release air
pollutants which exceed Federal and California regulations.
The problem is... The Engine Control Module on your vehicle (VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) may not
actuate the EGR valve sufficiently to prevent soot accumulation, resulting in
improper valve operation or sticking. Improper valve operation may cause
excessive exhaust emissions, illumination of the malfunction indicator lamp and a
vehicle limp-in condition.
What your dealer
will do...
Chrysler will repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). To do this,
your dealer will reprogram your vehicle’s Engine Control Module. The work will
take about ½ hour to complete. However, additional time may be necessary
depending on service schedules.
What you must do... Simply contact your dealer right away to schedule a service appointment.
Remember to bring this letter with you to the dealer.
If you need help... If you have questions or concerns which your dealer is unable to resolve, please
contact Chrysler at 1-800-853-1403.
California
residents…
The State of California requires the completion of emission recall repairs
prior to vehicle registration renewal. Your dealer will provide you with a
Vehicle Emission Recall Proof of Correction Form after the recall service is
performed. Be sure to save this form since the California Department of Motor
Vehicles may require that you supply it as proof that the recall has been performed.
Please help us update our records by filling out the attached prepaid postcard, if any of the conditions listed on
the card apply to you or your vehicle. You may also update this information on the web at
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
If you have already experienced this condition and have paid to have it repaired, you may send your original
receipts and/or other adequate proof of payment to the following address for reimbursement: Chrysler Recall
Customer Assistance, P.O. Box 21-8007, Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8007, Attention: Reimbursement.
In order to ensure your full protection under the emission warranty provisions, it is recommended that you
have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible. Failure to do so could legally be determined to be a lack of
proper maintenance of your vehicle. Further, without this repair, your vehicle may fail a state or local
emission inspection test.
We are sorry for any inconvenience but trust that you understand our interest in clean air. Thank you for
your attention to this important matter.
Customer Services Field Operations
Chrysler
Notification Code H44

ctmcdaniel

Cross Member
Welcome to the national sprinter "flash" party.

This is an amazing recall, mostly cause Brian T with a post count of two, scooped Jdcaples on finding this out.

That is amazing.

Jon, can your starscan "flash" the ECU or do you need the link to master starscan to execute this?

Tom McD

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Welcome to the national sprinter "flash" party.

This is an amazing recall, mostly cause Brian T with a post count of two, scooped Jdcaples on finding this out.

That is amazing.

Jon, can your starscan "flash" the ECU or do you need the link to master starscan to execute this?

Tom McD
I can execute it myself. I have the download from techauthority. I'm going to wait until people report "no problems" after flashing it. I may let a dealership do it so I can get a "sticker," but then again, I'm not all that trusting of dealership techs.

-Jon

boardster

Can I schedule the flash w/ a dealer now or do I have to wait until I receive the letter?
I entered my VIN on the Dodge site and it gave me the same notice that was posted.

piper1

Resident Oil Nerd.
I'd like to know what exactly the update does. When it says the EGR valve is not being actuated "sufficiently" does that mean the update will open the valve more to allow the increased exhaust flow to remove the soot? If this is the case I will be avoiding the update as anything that results in a higher EGR flow is bad news for fuel economy.

Jon, is there any extra info with the flash that would lead you to any conclusion about what it is actually doing??

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Piper1

There isn't any extra info with the download (like a README file or anything describing the old behavior vs the behavior we should expect).

We're at their mercy.

-Jon

PS: For what it's worth, the WK (Grand Cherokee) with the OM642 diesel is not subject to a similar recall for reprogramming as our Sprinters. I'm not sure about the MB USA, LLC ML 320cdi or the GL 320 cdi. I don't feel like subscribing to startekinfo.com to get the latest scoop on other MB diesels.

Last edited:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
For what it's worth, the WK (Grand Cherokee) with the OM642 diesel is not subject to a similar recall for reprogramming as our Sprinters.
Curiously, the WK version's EGR valve utilizes a linear motion plunger and tulip valve, very similar to the 612 version EGR valve. The VB Sprinter version is identical in design to the radial actuated vane valve of the 647.

Furthermore the VB EGR system features EGR cooler bypass capabilities with a complex position sensor and temp sensor design. Very different approaches.

Regarding concerns of the wording, "ECM may not actuate the EGR valve sufficiently to prevent soot accumulation", I suspect this applies to movement of the EGR's vane and intensity of possible self-cleaning cycles, not necessarily the actual quantities of exhaust gas metered.

The 647 EGR valve performs a post engine shut-off series of full motion cleaning cycles to prevent soot build-up on its vane actuator. This cleaning cycle is quite audible after shut down. It will be interesting to compare any post shut down EGR valve "music" before and after the 642 flashing. Doktor A

boardster

I have an appointment at 3:00 pm Tuesday at the dealership for the recall.
They said they don't check the EGR itself unless the check engine light is on.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
McCoy (formerly "Portland") Freightliner (as in Portland Oregon) has done two as of today.

I asked if it would trash my fuel economy. The answer was, "We truthfully don't know. We know what you know (he knows I have a copy of the Dealership instructions). They got the instructions last Friday, Feb 27th. Our techs don't see a reason any reason it should impact your fuel economy, but we will not say "no impact," until we know more.

I asked how long it would take, "about 30 minutes?"

The answer: "(sigh) Uh, ok, honestly, we're still working out the kinks. Call us back in a couple of weeks and we'll have better answers for you in terms of how long the procedure will take us to finish. It's supposed to take about 30 - 45 minutes, but we're slower than that right now."

I encourage readers to call your local dealership for local information.

-Jon

Last edited:

shanemac

oh oh my dealer is going to be busy with two recalls

VIN Number:
WD0BE7451 75153371 Vehicle Description:
DODGE SPRINTER 144 IN 2500 VAN Model Year:

Recall and Customer Satisfaction Notification Information:
Click on description to view document
Description Type Issue Date Status

REPROGRAM ECM
02/26/2009
INCOMPLETE

CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
SAFETY
02/29/2008
INCOMPLETE

I gotta ask do stealers prefer to complete all my requests at one time or do they like to scatter the repairs over a period of time? To me seems more efficient to take care of all the issues at once and seeing I'm 4 hours away i may have a leg to stand on , get my oil change done too:eek:

shanemac

Good to hear...repair time frame about 30-40 mins? No major tare down required just the mechanic accessing the data port thingamajig?

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
... yeah, into the data port near your hood release. also, the crankshaft position sensor's pretty trivial to replace as well and your dealership should be prepared to do both at the same time. Just call 'em and tell them that you're coming in for both and you're not driving that distance unnecessarily, so make sure they have a CPS (or two) on the shelf with marked with your name.

-Jon

blakej59

Will this recall correct the never-ending EGR issues that so many of us are experiencing or is it a smog issue but doesn't fix the need for an occasional EGR replacement? Is it possible that this may be finally be cured?

boardster

Good to hear...repair time frame about 30-40 mins? No major tare down required just the mechanic accessing the data port thingamajig?

Five minutes to get written up, five minutes at the cashier to get the receipt, five minutes for the tech to plug in and flash in the parking lot, five minutes for me to unplug the ScanGuage and close up the compartment and then re-plug in and route the cord (didn't want them to think I was messing around w/ the electronics).
Oh yeah,Fifteen minutes on the phone scheduling it, and an hour round trip driving there and back.
The flash was the quickest part of the whole thing.
Checking out the Challenger in the showroom was the fun part:rad:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Will this recall correct the never-ending EGR issues that so many of us are experiencing or is it a smog issue but doesn't fix the need for an occasional EGR replacement? Is it possible that this may be finally be cured?
Regarding concerns of the wording, "ECM may not actuate the EGR valve sufficiently to prevent soot accumulation", I suspect this applies to movement of the EGR's vane and intensity of possible self-cleaning cycles, not necessarily the actual quantities of exhaust gas metered.

The 647 EGR valve performs a post engine shut-off series of full motion cleaning cycles to prevent soot build-up on its vane actuator. This cleaning cycle is quite audible after shut down. It will be interesting to compare any audible, post shut down, EGR valve action, before and after the 642 flashing. Doktor A

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I've observed that after I turn off my engine, there is a high/medium high pitched noise that lingers.

I always figured it was just radiator fan. I'm going to open the hood today to see if I can isolate the locus of the noise, or determine if the noise is coming from the EGR. There are several connectors in the vicinity of the EGR valve. Maybe I'll unplug one just to see if the noise doesn't happen w/o something EGR related lacking power or communication.

Then again, maybe I'll just do it to throw a code and get a free, new EGR :)

Ok, I'm not going to do that. Sabotage is wrong. Chrysler's in enough trouble. We do not need to tinker with things for new EGR valves.

Forget I typed anything.

Go on about your business.

-Jon

Last edited:

qualityair

'09 144" Cargo
Then again, maybe I'll just do it to through a code and get a free, new EGR :)

Ok, I'm not going to do that. Sabotage is wrong. Chrysler's in enough trouble. We do not need to tinker with things for new EGR valves.

Forget I typed anything.

Go on about your business.

-Jon[/quote]

Saved ......:tongue:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I've observed that after I turn off my engine, there is a high/medium high pitched noise that lingers.

I always figured it was just radiator fan. I'm going to open the hood today to see if I can isolate the locus of the noise, or determine if the noise is coming from the EGR.
-Jon
The 642 and 647 EGR valve designs are virtually identical. I suspect the recall flash will extend the cleaning cycle and/or induce more of them, quite possible even during vehicle operation.

There is also the possibility of the flash modifying the control of the EGR cooler bypass flow.

Perhaps you can do some stop watch timing of post shut down EGR valve action and compare pre/post flashing. Doktor A

Top Bottom