2007 spinter transmission problem

patrickhoss

hello i have a question i have a 2007 sprinter 3500 runs great, however i think the lockup clutch solenoid is bad, it rumbles and vibrates at times abouve 30mph, is there any tests i can do to check to see if its working correctly?

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
hello i have a question i have a 2007 sprinter 3500 runs great, however i think the lockup clutch solenoid is bad, it rumbles and vibrates at times abouve 30mph, is there any tests i can do to check to see if its working correctly?
If this occurs under heavy acceleration or climbing steep hills at full throttle, you likely are experiencing shudder.

Shudder is usually caused by old, overdue for change, fluid. This can happen (and I see this often) when a overworked tech (and I'm being kind here) skips the fluid change in the torque converter and only drains the pan. That's only half the fluid. All 8 quarts need to be drained and changed.

On the other hand, if this occurs under very light throttle at neighborhood speeds, it is likely RSN. Check fluid level, '07 Sprinters still had the early style, prone to leakage, o-rings in the electrical socket connector. If fluid level is OK, then you likely have glazed TCC linings and a torque converter replacement is required to mitigate the symptoms.

Doktor A

lindenengineering

Yes connect suitable scanner and access the transmission.
Go to live data and observe the lock up clutch activity in a numeric terms or switch to wave form and observe the trace!

Essentially you will see the up spike as it engages and then level off like a table mountain.
If you have what is known as the "rumble strip" noise you will see a spiked wave form which coincides with vibrations as the system flutters with solenoid drop out and engagement taking place.

Wave form will look like the Colorado Maroon Bells!
Not like the ideal Table Mountain outside my shop!

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs...=yhs-mozilla-003&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-003

Or

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs...UTF-8&n=60&x=wrt&hsimp=yhs-003&hspart=mozilla

BIG Snow is coming! Forecast is a doozie--Ski Times a coming! Welcome to Colorful Colorado!
Can't think of a better place to be!
Its Landrover Time!:thumbup:
Cheers Dennis

patrickhoss

hello i really appreciate everyones help, if i need to change the torque converter lock up cluctch solenoid what is the part number? or where can i buy it from?

lindenengineering

hello i really appreciate everyones help, if i need to change the torque converter lock up cluctch solenoid what is the part number? or where can i buy it from?
Essentially the dealers both MB or Dodge, or you can try Trans Star Industries. Always buy a new circuit board and connector.

Also heed what Andy has mentioned above because his indication of "other related symptoms" are most pertinent in this case! (Especially when dealing with this problem.)
Dennis

lindenengineering

Yes
A clean out plus filter is the first step AND use only Shell ATF134.
If you still have the shudders add a can of BG ATC Plus.

Experiences tell me that it will nullify/hide/ mitigate some of the conditions Andy has mentioned in his post on this 906 transmission issue.
All the best
Dennis

1Latahrog

I have an 06 3500 View RV. First thing in the AM when it is not fully warmed up to 180F I get RSN esp. 2nd-3rd and then very rarely, when warmed up under only moderate acceleration but it is only transient. 119,000K and due for trans service. Done at 40K and 80K but think TC not drained at 80K (Dodge Sprinter cert. dealer/tech). Anything I should have MB check, out of the ordinary service /scan with these symptoms? Thanks!

Top Bottom