Turbo hose reducer

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
No, it's not the same as the hoses that connect to the inter-cooler; it has no association with the Riordan aftermarket hose ends.

Riordan manufactures a billet aluminum part which replaces the factory hoses that connect to inter-cooler near the radiator. These parts are at the bottom of the engine compartment, in the front of the engine compartment, attached to the hoses that feed and convey "inter-cooler" cooled air.

This orange part described above is on top of the engine, in the rear of the "V," concealed by the air cleaner and the center engine cover.

If you look at your air cleaner housing on your 2008, you'll see a tube which comes off the passenger side of the air cleaner. It routes under the center engine cover and attaches to the turbo charger. That orange part on one side joins with that tube. On the other side of the orange part, it comes into direct contact with the turbo charger inlet.

-Jon

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I had the same failure somewhere between 25,000 and 39,860 miles.

Dodge Part number for Hose + Seal: 680 136 82AA (I spaced apart the numbers to make it easier to read & recite over the phone if you need to order the part in person)

MB of Lynnwood WA does not stock the orange seal BUT I and the parts counter believe the Daimler part number of the orange seal (and just the orange seal) may be:

A 017 997 04 45

Found in EPC by selecting chassis 906633
Group: 52 "Sheet Metal Parts/Air Intake"
SubGroup: 135 "Air Intake Diesel Vehicles"

At this writing, A0179970445 has not been visually confirmed by any forum member as far as I know.

Actually, I just realized that comet429 confirmed it.

The cost of the Dodge hose+seal $165 MSRP today.

The cost of the MB A0179970445 is ~$13.00 (again, this has not been confirmed visually by any forum member at this writing).

Dodge will not sell the hose and the orange seal separately. They have a single part number for both units and a note in the dealership parts computer that indicates "the orange seal is not sold separately."

This info ("sold as an assembly" or "no, you can't just buy the orange thing") is not available on TechAuthority.com - meaning only a dealership employee's got a chance to figure this out).

Aside: this is further evidence that Daimler and Chrysler aren't sharing Sprinter info.

Back to the part failure

New one on the left:

One.jpg

The failure (on the right)

Two.jpg

Differences:

The newer seal is thicker, it's beefier, it fits tighter on the turbo and (obviously) lacks the thin spots in the ribbing.

How much tighter? The old seal falls off the turbo inlet orifice.

The new one: I struggled to get the newer orange seal on the turbo inlet.

I was tempted to use some assembly lube (krytox) but it started raining and I just wanted to get it done.

Responsible Sprinter enthusiasts - those with the original seal on a 2007 (maybe 2008 & 2009) & esp you people with RVs and school buses (Passenger Wagons) where being stranded could be more than just inconvenient - should check to see which one you have and get an updated part before it becomes problematic.

This seal protects the filtered air entering the turbo. I don't know (for a fact) what kind of damage this can cause; you'll have to make your own decision about the risk of ignoring a seal failure in this area.

-Jon

PS: I sort of wonder if over tightening the clamp on the turbo side of the hose, over tightening the clamp on top of that orange seal, caused the failure. Americans - in general - don't use torque wrenches on clamps; I know I don't and it wouldn't surprise me if the Daimler engineers just figured we'd do the right thing. I can't speak for Canadians in general :)

Yeah

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
on the OM642 used in the jeep, the orange seal and intake tube were superseded by a new black seal and intake tube priced around $100. Perhaps, the sprinter's part is being superseded as well which means the orange seal is available as a separate part. there should be a part number stamped on the orange seal that you could confirm with the dealership. a picture would be good in order to confirm we are talking about the same thing. I'm also interested in hearing if you notice oil leakage under the orange seal, that is why the orange seal and intake tube were superseded on the jeep.
I tried to just get the jeep seal. Making the assumption that the parts counter guy new his CRD 3.0L OM642 parts, that venue looks closed. He showed me the parts info for the jeep. The seal isn't shown seperately.

The jeep part shown to me, physically brought out for my inspection, has an integrated seal and no place for the sensor closest to the turbo.

-Jon

PS: I never had an oil leak under my split orange seal.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Since I won the $2500.00 door prize at Mercedes-Benz of Rockland, I tried to use up the money. One of the things I ordered was the orange seal ring based on recommendations of other postings. It was part # 017-997-04-45 Seal Ring. Cost from Mercedes was $15.23. It is the newer design without the deep grooves.

suzieque

I tried to just get the jeep seal. Making the assumption that the parts counter guy new his CRD 3.0L OM642 parts, that venue looks closed. He showed me the parts info for the jeep. The seal isn't shown seperately.

The jeep part shown to me, physically brought out for my inspection, has an integrated seal and no place for the sensor closest to the turbo.

-Jon

PS: I never had an oil leak under my split orange seal.
the part number stamped on the separate orange seal for the jeep is a6420940080, I just bought one last week. Not certain, but the part number may change up to a 05175743-aa, it cost about $25!

the orange seal on the jeep looks quite different than the orange seal on the sprinter, the jeep orange seal is pictured in this thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/...or-pvc-valve-glow-plugs-1226069/#post11715465

Last edited:

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
I had the same failure somewhere between 25,000 and 39,860 miles.

snip....

Back to the part failure

New one on the left:

View attachment 36426

The failure (on the right)

View attachment 36427

Differences:

The newer seal is thicker, it's beefier, it fits tighter on the turbo and (obviously) lacks the thin spots in the ribbing.

How much tighter? The old seal falls off the turbo inlet orifice.

The new one: I struggled to get the newer orange seal on the turbo inlet.

I was tempted to use some assembly lube (krytox) but it started raining and I just wanted to get it done.

Responsible Sprinter enthusiasts - those with the original seal on a 2007 (maybe 2008 & 2009) & esp you people with RVs and school buses (Passenger Wagons) where being stranded could be more than just inconvenient - should check to see which one you have and get an updated part before it becomes problematic.

This seal protects the filtered air entering the turbo. I don't know (for a fact) what kind of damage this can cause; you'll have to make your own decision about the risk of ignoring a seal failure in this area.

snip...
I finally got around to looking at the turbo intake of my 2007 Dodge to see how much oil accumulated there since performing an oil change ~1200km ago & to take some pics. (see: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16798 )

It appears that my van has the 'updated' orange seal (see attached pics). I couldn't see any part # on the seal, only the letters VMQ 11

PS: I sort of wonder if over tightening the clamp on the turbo side of the hose, over tightening the clamp on top of that orange seal, caused the failure. Americans - in general - don't use torque wrenches on clamps; I know I don't and it wouldn't surprise me if the Daimler engineers just figured we'd do the right thing. I can't speak for Canadians in general :)

Yeah
I can speak for one Canadian :smilewink: I too don't normally use a torque wrench on clamps & didn't when replacing the orange seal in my van after the oil change & earlier today. OTOH, when I first removed the air cleaner housing while performing the oil change, the air intake hose virtually fell off the orange seal, i.e. the clamp was definitely not tight enough.

Attachments

claudalfa

Car Crazy
Dealer changed my orange seal yesterday, after I complained regarding lost of power
It was split in the center and probably leaking into turbo

Now power is back to full and we love it

Work was performed by Mercedes Benz dealer in Santa Rosa CA

Tech knew what he was doing regarding Sprinter work

Top Bottom