Turbo Resonator May Stay

BULBASOR

I removed the Turbo Resonator and found that the motor runs just a tad warmer with the J.Riordin Eliminator installed. I put 4500 cross country miles on the Turbo Eliinator and the temp was definatly a tiny bit warmer on grades where I pull a lot of turbo pounds. I think I see why Chrysler is wary to replace this item.

I think the hot exhaust boost get's a bit of cooling as it spins through the resonator where the straight pipe metal eliminator sents the hot gas right through to the engine.

I DID notice a little less turbo lag with the Resonator Eleiminator, but I have decided it's not worth the extra heat to my motor. I would rather stay cooler than race it up.

I still think it's a good thing to keep in your tool box for emergencies, and now that I have replaced it I know the drill. I think I could do it on my back on the side of a freeway in about 15 minutes now.

(I don't see a head scratching icon so pretend there is one here)

Interesting!

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I don't know either. :thinking: (btw, smiley is located middle column, third row down).

Resonator P/N should be 05137154AA...
resonator.jpg
...or as someone has said that AA should be AB.

The middle part number that starts with an "A," looks like an MB part number, but I can't find it on the list.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
That was what threw me off too, thinking it was the doktor or someone else quoting a change of numbers, But which was which:idunno:with old version v new version:thinking:
Richard

BULBASOR

Okay, now you guys are freaking me out.:popcorn:

Your the experts, so I figure I must be doing somthing wrong so ran out into the garage and set the resonator on the trunk of my wifes car and shot these pictures:

Now, what I call the "FRONT" has a little white tag (I already sent you that shot which encountered so much consternation) so I did a close up of what I call the "BACK"? :thinking: and here are the hieraglypghs on there:

Attachments

BULBASOR

Sorry, I missed the thread on the close up, (not used to attaching on these blogs) I guess you call an attachment on a blog a "clog"? . . . :crazy: Okay, sorry:

Attachments

sikwan

06 Tin Can
No apologies necessary Bulbasor. This is certainly new to me and thanks for posting the pictures. I guess the person that stated the p/n's with the trailing AA or AB is incorrect in his assertion.

I should go look at mine too.

BULBASOR

This truck has 'Dusseldorf' written all over it. Everything I touch is covered in German words and stuff.

I guess they are all like that.

BULBASOR

sikwan,

just for giggles I looked up the part number on the chrysler to MB PDF you cited in your post.

I found this:

A647141008628 05137154AB RESONATOR TURBO

What does this mean?? Did Chrysler replace my resonator when Maxwell Dodge in Austin Texes imported it into the country through North Carolina?

(This German stuff really confuses me, but I sure like the way they build cars!)

BULBASOR

sikwan,

sorry to be such a pest, but I looked up the number on the OTHER PDF MD to Chrysler and I found this:

05137154AB A 647 141 00 86 28 RESONATOR TURBO

What does all this mean?? You guys know, right?

:idunno:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
That's easy ones a BMW:lol:
There has supposedly been a replacement for the turbo resonator as it has been a source to many a thread of discontent with vehicle breakdowns, Mostly on RV vans, this is on another very long thread, which I will update on to today as to a post from Jims one peice resonator, I'M thinking he has written it folk are picking up on this and coming back with variations as towards part of the problem.
Now we have two numbers for the same part:idunno: and this is where the confusion comes into play! Well at least for me as we dont use them down under {But}although some have them:thinking: I'm thinking they were full imports from Germany and not the Australian Sprinters from Agintenia,
Richard

BULBASOR

Hey ALTERED SPRINTER! You mean the Autrailian Bulbasor does not have a turbo resonator?

Is that right?

What the heck is a "turbo Resonator" for if Austrailian Vans don't even need them???

(It's a LOT hotter in Austrailia than California!!)

What's up with that?

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hey ALTERED SPRINTER! You mean the Autrailian Bulbasor does not have a turbo resonator?

Is that right?

What the heck is a "turbo Resonator" for if Austrailian Vans don't even need them???

(It's a LOT hotter in Austrailia than California!!)

What's up with that?
Bulbasor: Follow this link for more detail Turbo Resonator Problem
Aussie Sprinters are mostly 4-inline , so it's a little to hard to explain.
Richard
Richard

What Next

Looking at this a little more the number we are looking for is only on the bag the resonator comes in 05137154AB. On the resonator I guess we have to look for Q4 (bad)or Q5 (good). The one I have on van RV now is a Q4 I l took it off and looked.
The heavier the van is the more probable the resonator will fail , I guess, the Views and Navions have alot of failures. But I was at the LTV Rally and surprised to learn two poeple near me had had failures. So I carry a spare
Now I have had the clamp around hose come loose, when you hear whoooosh and all that turbo boost escapes whoa.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
We've been calling this thing by the wrong name all along. It's actually a damper or vibration absorber and not a resonator.

That helps me understand the different sound my vehicle makes under different load/MAP conditions since I installed the metal device.

BULBASOR

Okay everyone, Bulbasor is back to OEM with the original Turbo Resonator that came with the van. And, as you all can see in the pictures I sent, the little tag on the resonator is clearly a Q4 so it's the naughty resonator, not the nice one.

I pumped air through the resonator before I installed it by attaching my shop vac in reverse to blow out the cobwebs that accumulated over the past year. I taped a string to the out end and watched the air flow - it was straight out. So, I attached a big piece of clear tubing to the end and watched the string - still straight out air flow. Then, I obstructed the end of the long clear tube where the air was blowing out - THE STRING DANCED - we got a cyclone effect and the sting goes twirly like a dust devil. Once the pressure stabilized, the string went flat again. It only dances twirly like right after I obstructed the flow at the far end and only until the pressure stabilized.

I studied this crazy little thing a little more and realized the air backs up into the resonator chamber through the tiny air holes much like and exhaust muffler does when you step on the gas. It an EXPANSION chamber - it only works during RISING PRESSURE CHANGES. Very very strange little device. The bathtub shape forces the air to invert through the holes and back out in a cyclone. The effect on the air is much like what an aerator does on a faucet. It expands the volume the air occupies by breaking it up into seperat currents of air. This would explain why the resonator would be helpful in cooling the hot air from the turbo.

My drive after install was only 20 miles and not enough to know if the temp was really effected, but it did seem to run cooler.:2cents:

I have the J Riorden Eliminator as a back up. but I would still like to get a Q5 if possible. Anyone got a cheap source?:2cents:

Top Bottom