Diesel generator oil change

malodiver

2019 Unity MB
After consulting the Cummins manual, I went to change the oil, as it appeared to be a simple task. To my surprise, the drain plug is located in a very tight spot. I can't access it with any of my: ratchet, socket, or open ended wrenches. Anyone solved this problem? Need a special tool?

Attachments

Toddw

2021 Unity TB. See my YouTube channel "LTVnIT"
A smaller wrench set like said above and you should be good.

I have only 27 hours on mine. What type of oil are you using for it?

Unity Traveler

2013 LTV Unity Twin Bed
After consulting the Cummins manual, I went to change the oil, as it appeared to be a simple task. To my surprise, the drain plug is located in a very tight spot. I can't access it with any of my: ratchet, socket, or open ended wrenches. Anyone solved this problem? Need a special tool?
I use a Pela 2000 Oil Extractor - Works great & easy to remove your oil. Google Pela 2000 Oil Extractor or check Amazon.

bigb

2011 Winnebago Via 25Q on 2010 3500 Tucson, AZ
I just use a simple Mighty Vac. As far as oil, all the new diesel oils you can buy now are CK rated. They claim to be backwards compatible with earlier designations but they have removed most of the zinc and phosphorous to help protect the DPF on newer diesels. After much research I came to the conclusion that the CK rated oils do not have the same lubricating properties as the earlier oils and older engines will suffer from the elimination of the additives that were so beneficial to them for decades. I still have a bit of Rotella 15/40 CJ rated oil that I am saving for the generator and when that runs out I will probably look for a 15/40 motorcycle oil that still has the additives.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I followed the manual I got a high grade 15 - 40 Diesel oil at AutoZone.View attachment 187348
you took it from manual how many years old?
With modern technology you should check for updates at every service.
Since the USA switched to synthetic oils about 20 years ago, even my lawnmowers got the synthetics at the time.
Just to simplify oil stock in my garage.

Last edited:

Top Bottom