On and around the Maine coast.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I found that once you get away from the coast, Maine is a lot less crowded. Far fewer tourists, even in the summer. Beautiful country.

P

Patrick walsh

Yes of course.

As a kid we would go to the baxter state are to climb Katadin.

Have a uncle with property in Rangly.

While the land is beautiful its just not my cup of tea.

I love rural but often what comes with rural ruins the natural beauty for me.

Hence Vermont works for me. I’m sure parts of the Pacific Northwest would also work for me. the Canadian Rockies are by far my favorite.

QUOTE="Midwestdrifter, post: 1050590, member: 37186"]
I found that once you get away from the coast, Maine is a lot less crowded. Far fewer tourists, even in the summer. Beautiful country.
[/QUOTE]

Roamers

2020 4X4 170 Crew
Back in Illinois late last night. Will be back in Maine same week, same cabin next year.

Lesson learned this trip. Restaurant in town also sells cooked lobsters to go out of their lower level. $10.95 per pound and they were hotter when we got to the cabin than when served in the restaurant for 70% more cost

P

Patrick walsh

Maine coast offers unreal soul cleansing therapeutic value.

And the food ain’t bad.

Ive been vegan for 14 years so no seafood for me.

The campsite we stay at will have lobster and all the fixings delivered to you site by 5:30 nightly for like $10-12 a person or something nuts.

I was envious!

Back in Illinois late last night. Will be back in Maine same week, same cabin next year.

Lesson learned this trip. Restaurant in town also sells cooked lobsters to go out of their lower level. $10.95 per pound and they were hotter when we got to the cabin than when served in the restaurant for 70% more cost

Roamers

2020 4X4 170 Crew
My brother resolved the lobster issue by going pescatarian rather than vegan about 3 years ago.

P

Patrick walsh

Lol,

Thate one solution.

I was vegetarian for many many years.

Previous to the only chicken and fish.

No going back after 14 years of anything meat including shoes belts whatever.

However lobster salad still looks delicious,..

My brother resolved the lobster issue by going pescatarian rather than vegan about 3 years ago.

Roamers

2020 4X4 170 Crew
Watching the weather. First time I recall thinking good be in midwest rather than Maine because of temperature.

P

Patrick walsh

Yes,

Its brutal right now.

If you just go out in it you get used to it. The humidity that is.

I am scared to sleep in the non insulted van with only the CR Lawrence widow screen for ventilation.

I got a side and rear door screen on order but i suspect they are few more weeks out yet.

Gonna get hot.

Watching the weather. First time I recall thinking good be in midwest rather than Maine because of temperature.

If you have a set of Makita cordless tools, they make a couple of fans, a 12" and an 8" or 10" fan that run on the rechargeable batteries. For a cordless breeze source, they can help. Just have a few batteries ready to go. I haven't run it long enough to know how long a battery lasts, but lithium ion batteries are a great technology.

P

Patrick walsh

That’s a great idea.

I noticed Dewalt they same.

Just got my roof rack on and a Yakima solar shower mounted. It really helped to see what I have for room namely where to place my maxair fan.

I won’t be able to use the maxair probably till next year at this rate as I need so many things and the lithium setup is not even in sight right now.

Next is a cargo box, ladder, then flares then bed, then electricity,

I may consider playing the lottery lol.

I will however go get one of those fans as it’s gonna get hot on cape cod the next two months..

If you have a set of Makita cordless tools, they make a couple of fans, a 12" and an 8" or 10" fan that run on the rechargeable batteries. For a cordless breeze source, they can help. Just have a few batteries ready to go. I haven't run it long enough to know how long a battery lasts, but lithium ion batteries are a great technology.

After Labor Day, I will be flying back east to join some of my lifelong college friends for a road trip from the Tidewater area of VA. up to Maine and back. This will be a first for me, although I did make it up to Martha's Vineyard to help a fellow graduate student lady friend move home way back then fifty years ago. It was a beautiful trip, and after last years plans were cancelled, I have hope for this time now that we are all fully vaccinated.

Lobster rolls are in my future, Yum. Heck, might even have a chance to see some color changes. I appreciate the photos of the Maine coast to whet my appetite. Thanks for sharing.

P

Patrick walsh

my pleasure

if you pass through Bath Maine home of Bath Iron Works make time to stop on at Reds Eats and get a lobster roll.

it’s a right of passage if a new England ever even if there’s better places. But honestly it’s just lobster drawn butter and roll.

Portland in souther maine has a pretty fancy but a outstanding food scene. Pricey but worth it if you have never been or explored Portland.

not why I go to Maine anymore but still of value.

hope you enjoy your time. Get to Acadia and deer isle if you can.

acadia is a tourist trap and congested but the beauty is astounding so worth tolerating it. Plus booth bay has a great charm if you like the tourist thing even a little.

After Labor Day, I will be flying back east to join some of my lifelong college friends for a road trip from the Tidewater area of VA. up to Maine and back. This will be a first for me, although I did make it up to Martha's Vineyard to help a fellow graduate student lady friend move home way back then fifty years ago. It was a beautiful trip, and after last years plans were cancelled, I have hope for this time now that we are all fully vaccinated.

Lobster rolls are in my future, Yum. Heck, might even have a chance to see some color changes. I appreciate the photos of the Maine coast to whet my appetite. Thanks for sharing.

Roamers

2020 4X4 170 Crew
if you pass through Bath Maine home of Bath Iron Works make time to stop on at Reds Eats and get a lobster roll.
We did Red's 2 years ago; if you have time for waiting in line for 2 hours, go for it.

This year we did Sprague's across the street. Same product (quantity and quality), lower cost, 45 minute wait. But they didn't win Best in Maine or have all the big chef's stop by.

P

Patrick walsh

Yeah that was my point.

Some people got time and some people care.

Pretty much every shack on the coast can get you a good lobster roll. Kinda hard to screw up. Lobster and drawn butter cheap roll..

I personally don’t do anything that requires I contend with any kind of crowd. But I’m kinda weird as I’m very kept to myself.

Perfect day to me is a day in the woods by myself hopefully seeing nobody. If I do I hope it’s passing quickly.

This past weekend I took mom for a “mom safe hike” up to the closed rattlesnake cliffs in the Moosuloomo area of the green mountains. One way in goes past “The Falls Of Lanna” this is a major tourist attraction combined with local water hole. It’s a quick hike in. But rattlesnake cliffs all be it also a short but steep hike is way way more work than most would want anything to do with. We ran across one person in three hours once past the falls.

Both our idea of perfection. Cliffs closed due to nesting peregrine falcons. As they should be so no view or pict to share.

And get this not a single lobster to be found..

I’m being funny and serious,

Most are happy at the falls with a beer and lobster roll. Me I like to suffer, without mom i woulda run the nature hike of about 3k ft of elevation gain in only a few miles max. Same down but down is easy,

We did Red's 2 years ago; if you have time for waiting in line for 2 hours, go for it.

This year we did Sprague's across the street. Same product (quantity and quality), lower cost, 45 minute wait. But they didn't win Best in Maine or have all the big chef's stop by.

P

Patrick walsh

The good life center. I don’t do hero’s and I don’t much idolize anyone. But the Nearing’s I have the utmost respect for.

Stumbled into the Goodlife Center completely by mistake. When I travel I like to have a very loose plan and kinda just follow the wind and land where I land. This day I was looking for a west facing beach I could have to myself to watch a sunset.

A local I had met earlier in the day was nice enough to lead me here. Fully aware of the Nearings I was pleasantly suprised when the beach was just across from the goodlife center.

11B56050-50A5-4138-9EEE-94FD5FE3B19C.jpeg675D2639-AACC-4C7E-9D14-874F7F5FA0DA.jpeg4550B6B4-5F29-484C-80DA-E2B29EB57AC0.jpeg622AB50F-5F99-41A3-808A-5E29D35CF678.jpegE7F33894-42EA-48BD-B4FA-E880F6F23C89.jpeg

Top Bottom