Van Life in Santa Barbara

sanomechanic

Anyone have any good places to boondock in Santa Barb? They have really strict oversize vehicle laws and target Sprinters and other vans parked anywhere for any reason over night.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
How is your Sprinter registered?
Almost all prime California jurisdictions do have ordinances prohibiting parking RVs and commercial vehicles on their streets overnight and often even on private driveways.
When Walmart, Costco and Home Depot don't object overnight parking, they are forced to observe local ordinance.
You better seek official campground and stop to read the big signs with small print when entering new jurisdiction.

ECU

Area around Carpinteria down by the wetland area. Map yourself to Sly's restaurant. Sly passed away, the place is closed but still on maps. Ash and Sandyland is prime.

borabora

Probably not a long-term solution but the harbor has reasonable parking fees and because some excursion, fishing and diving boats go out for multiple days parking there over night is fairly normal. No doubt they don't want you to live in your van in the parking lot but not drawing attention to yourself or van would normally take care of that.
Of course since covid there are now so many homeless living in their cars, vans and RVs that attitudes may have changed -- I haven't been to SB for a while.
Good luck.

sanomechanic

Probably not a long-term solution but the harbor has reasonable parking fees and because some excursion, fishing and diving boats go out for multiple days parking there over night is fairly normal. No doubt they don't want you to live in your van in the parking lot but not drawing attention to yourself or van would normally take care of that.
Of course since covid there are now so many homeless living in their cars, vans and RVs that attitudes may have changed -- I haven't been to SB for a while.
Good luck.
Harbor uses same height restrictions as Muni Code now. Was going to shoot for that.

sanomechanic

How is your Sprinter registered?
Almost all prime California jurisdictions do have ordinances prohibiting parking RVs and commercial vehicles on their streets overnight and often even on private driveways.
When Walmart, Costco and Home Depot don't object overnight parking, they are forced to observe local ordinance.
You better seek official campground and stop to read the big signs with small print when entering new jurisdiction.
Are you a cop?

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Are you a cop?
No, but spend enough years in CA to get enough hassle from cops.
I had 0.6 acre east of San Francisco, with parking space for at least 6 buses and was chased away with my RVS by city ordinance.
To bring my motorhome for vacation packing I had to go to Chief of Police for 24 hr parking permit. I had 130 ft of my own curb with no cars park on the street as everybody had drive-in property.
There is no limit how far snobbism can go.

Top Bottom