NHTSA Recall 21V411 - Freightliner/Sprinter 2019 - 2021 - MBUX System Software Malfunction

Winterbagoal

2018 Winnebago Navion 24V on a 2017 Cab Chassis
June 2, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V411000
MBUX System Software Malfunction
A backup camera that displays a blank image reduces the driver's rear view, increasing the risk of a crash or injury.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V411000
Manufacturer Daimler Vans USA, LLC
Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM, BACK OVER PREVENTION
Potential Number of Units Affected 33,437
Summary
Daimler Vans USA, LLC (DVUSA) is recalling certain 2019-2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter and Freightliner Sprinter vehicles. The MBUX multimedia system software may cause the display to remain black, or reboot after startup. This could result in the rearview camera image not displaying properly. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 111, "Rear Visibility."
Remedy
The multimedia system software will be updated by a dealer, or through an over-the-air (OTA) update, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed July 12, 2021. Owners may contact DVUSA customer service at 1-877-762-8267. DVUSA's number for this recall is VS3UXPOBOX.
Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
24 Affected Products
2 Associated Documents

NHTSA Recall ID Number :​
21V411
Manufacturer :​
Daimler Vans USA, LLC
Subject :​
MBUX System Software Malfunction
Make​
Model​
Model Years​
FREIGHTLINER​
SPRINTER 1500​
2019-2021​
FREIGHTLINER​
SPRINTER 2500​
2019-2021​
FREIGHTLINER​
SPRINTER 3500​
2019-2021​
FREIGHTLINER​
SPRINTER 4500​
2019-2021​
MERCEDES-BENZ​
SPRINTER 1500​
2019-2021​
MERCEDES-BENZ​
SPRINTER 2500​
2019-2021​
MERCEDES-BENZ​
SPRINTER 3500​
2019-2021​
MERCEDES-BENZ​
SPRINTER 4500​
2019-2021​

todgrubbs

We are stuck waiting for this recall to be able to pickup our new RV. It is sitting at the dealer after waiting 12 1/2 months for it to be built and now stuck waiting an unknown time for MB...

bgrose01

Called Mercedes yesterday and they said the fix was available and it would download automatically when the vehicle is turned on (there is an accept required).
If you believe Tech Support

todgrubbs

I heard from my dealer yesterday the fix they issued last week was recalled by MB, It did not work so now we are back to square 1 waiting for the fix to the fix to be issued. ; <

Hank Hatch

My camera was working this morning as I pulled out from home then suddenly stopped working. I think they pushed a broken update to my van but not sure. Anyone else's rear camera suddenly stop working. 8/17/2021

bgrose01

According to Mercedes the update now has to be done by a dealer (mine is at dealer and is supposedly ready for pickup).

Hank Hatch

According to Mercedes the update now has to be done by a dealer (mine is at dealer and is supposedly ready for pickup).
Was it your rear camera only that went out? Did the update fix it? I got an appointment for Dec 10. Here in Colorado there are too many sprinters and too few technicians.

bgrose01

Recall completed at Grapevine, TX (Dallas area) MB dealer. As far as I know it's a random problem (only an issue if you are backing up).

I had this recall done on 8/20 by MB of El Cajon in California. I was hoping it would be a quick one but was told it would take a good bit of time, and did need to be hooked up, no over the air update. I have had the MBUX system crash once or twice before, and have seen no issues since so far. I am always worried that one of these updates will remove our ability to reset the profile to get "Auto" AC functions, but thankfully this workaround remains after this update.

Top Bottom