Help Tyre query

seanburns

Could I safely use a 265/65 tyre as a spare when all the other tyres are 265/70's if I needed to change and this was the only tyre available or do you have to have the exact same tyre?
I can explain why but it's a long story!
Sean

45Kevin

On the 4x4 you need the same size tires or else you will damage your drivetrain.

On 2x4s it not damaging to the drivetrain but will affect the handling if the tires are different sizes.
There is only 1" difference in height between the two tires sizes you mention, so even if you put the spare on the frond the handling will not be affected too much.

sailquik

seanburns:
On a Sprinter, one must always remember that there is a wheel speed sensor on each
wheel and that sensors have input into the onboard control systems.
If there is a large enough discrepancy between the outside diameters of the tires, this
discrepancy will be transmitted to the control systems and may result in a brake fault
light on the dash control panel.
Might get you just a light, but could lead to some larger issue if the onboard computer
systems have been programmed for a specific "out of tolerance" and the tire size discrepancy is larger than that tolerance.
As you are asking about tyres (tires) my guess is that you may be from other than the
US, which may or may not be in your favor here as the programing of control systems
and safety systems varies from country to country with the regulations and specifications
for Sprinter size vehicles in that specific country.
Hope this helps,
Roger

seanburns

On the 4x4 you need the same size tires or else you will damage your drivetrain.

On 2x4s it not damaging to the drivetrain but will affect the handling if the tires are different sizes.
There is only 1" difference in height between the two tires sizes you mention, so even if you put the spare on the frond the handling will not be affected too much.
Thanks It is a AWD but in the event of a puncture could I use 2WD til I got to a garage?

45Kevin

Thanks It is a AWD but in the event of a puncture could I use 2WD til I got to a garage?
I don't know what year or model you have, but North American spec 4x4 (AWD) Sprinters cannot have different sized tires and cannot be operated in a 2WD only mode. Well, they do have a 4x4 switch, which presumable does something, but even in 2WD mode MB says the Sprinter can not be flat towed or towed with the front lifted off the ground. It must be put on a flat deck. So it seems the front and rear axles are never truly entirely separated.

seanburns

Thanks all. It is a long story so won't bore you. The message is clear run a 265/70 spare. That's what I'll need to do.
Sean
PS yes in the UK

seanburns

Hi Keith,
2021 319 AWD L3H2

To be honest the story is I have cocked up with the rear wheel carrier as the wheels 265/70/17 are so big that its catching the rear door badge! Looks like we're going to have to modify the rear wheel carrier!
Sean

1623360847517.png

45Kevin

I have 285/35/16 tires, which are an inch bigger than the stock 245/75/16, and my spare fits in the underneath spare tire holder.

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
While it’s definitely not recommended, you should and would be able to limp with the smaller tire. Unless you have limited slip differentials there’s no way that off sized tires would damage anything. Open differentials front, center, and rear allow all 4 wheels to turn at variable rates. It’s true that MB says not to flat tow automatic transmission Sprinters of any year and drive configuration, but that’s due to transmission overheating issues without the trans pump activated. The only issues you’d run into would be the van sitting wonky, and the ABS system screaming at you. That said, I’d modify your tire carrier and get a matched sized tire. It’s a lot better to be able to change out a flat and just keep going like nothing happened as opposed to having to immediately find a tire shop and putting a crimp in your plans.

marklg

Don't use and old spare or tires older than about 5 years. They won't last long. Age is probably more important than wear on this application.

Here is my infamous picture of what happens with an old spare:

Jack.jpg

Regards,

Mark

seanburns

While it’s definitely not recommended, you should and would be able to limp with the smaller tire. Unless you have limited slip differentials there’s no way that off sized tires would damage anything. Open differentials front, center, and rear allow all 4 wheels to turn at variable rates. It’s true that MB says not to flat tow automatic transmission Sprinters of any year and drive configuration, but that’s due to transmission overheating issues without the trans pump activated. The only issues you’d run into would be the van sitting wonky, and the ABS system screaming at you. That said, I’d modify your tire carrier and get a matched sized tire. It’s a lot better to be able to change out a flat and just keep going like nothing happened as opposed to having to immediately find a tire shop and putting a crimp in your plans.
Ye agree totally. modify it is. Ta Sean

Top Bottom