Improving remote lock distance on Australian T1N sprinters

Charliektm400exc

316 Ex Ambulance 2002
This thread in the write up section details how to improve the distance the remote will work to over 60m.

i had a look in both A pillars on my ex ambo T1N, but couldn’t find any wires that corresponded with the wire they talk about.

does anybody know if a similar hack will work on our vehicles, and if it can be done, which wire should I lock for?

charlie

Eric Experience

Charlie.
There is no other alternative, you have to find the locking module antenna. it is usually taped to the loom going up the right pillar. It is a thin black wire. It is easy to identify because it does not terminate but just ends about half way up the pillar. it may have dropped down but you will find it. Eric

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The SKREEM itself is mounted on the back of the instrument panel ... that's where the antenna wire is connected.

1623338836324.png

At the very worst you could access it and try pulling the wire from the Sprinter's grasp where it disappears out-of-sight.
It's only a single wire with no connection on the far end (since it is an antenna)
In theory, the RKE antenna is a yellow wire connected to pin 1 on the SKREEM's connector.

SkreemConnPins.png

*But* your RKE system may well operate on a different frequency than the US/Canada version, so the SKREEM have have a different assortment and pin allocation (although usually the radio section is a little "daughter board" inside something like the SKREEM housing to make it simple to create the different countries' versions)

--dick
p.s. be VERY GENTLE to the wires on pins 11 and 12 ... they go to the RFID sensing antenna that's hiding in the bezel surrounding the ignition key slot.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
In the US T1N models, the SKREEM handles the radio work and the code verification.

If you're using the "lock doors" button on the dashboard, that indeed has nothing to do with the SKREEM.

--dick

Charliektm400exc

316 Ex Ambulance 2002
Charlie.
There is no other alternative, you have to find the locking module antenna. it is usually taped to the loom going up the right pillar. It is a thin black wire. It is easy to identify because it does not terminate but just ends about half way up the pillar. it may have dropped down but you will find it. Eric
Eric, thanks I’ve been through both wiring looms on the A pillars and nothing like it. Will have to try and see if it’s dropped down.

charlie

Charliektm400exc

316 Ex Ambulance 2002
In the US T1N models, the SKREEM handles the radio work and the code verification.

If you're using the "lock doors" button on the dashboard, that indeed has nothing to do with the SKREEM.

--dick
No, I’m talking about using the remote key. Anyway, Eric has told me which side to go looking on,so I’ll do that. Thanks

Charlie

Charliektm400exc

316 Ex Ambulance 2002
Charlie.
Hi Eric, I looked everywhere but couldn’t find it so gave the idea up. Now doing a few other mods to the van so thought I would have another go. On the drivers side A pillar there is just one wire black and white between the metal and the plastic covering. I’ve looked inside the metal pillar as well as I can but can’t see any wires. Could it be possible the wires are in there? If not any suggestions on my next place to look.

thanks Charlie

Eric Experience

Charlie

Best you find the door lock module and the antenna will be attached. The module is tucked into the space between the trim and steel just above the throttle pedal. Eric

autostaretx

Erratic Member
In the US T1N, the remote key antenna is a single wire that runs up the driver's side A pillar ... and ends in there. (so it's just a "loose wire")

People get better range by pulling it out and laying across the dash (in the defroster vent)

--dick
p.s. since the "affixed" end of the wire goes to the SKREEM under the instrument cluster "hump", the antenna will probably be on the UK/Oz driver's side, too.

Last edited:

Charliektm400exc

316 Ex Ambulance 2002
Charlie

Best you find the door lock module and the antenna will be attached. The module is tucked into the space between the trim and steel just above the throttle pedal. Eric
Eric, I spent quite some time looking for the module, but couldn’t find it. There appeared to be nothing in the are you describe as there was just sound deadened, and I couldn’t easily get behind that. I think the next step involved pulling the dash apart so I can get into the sound deadened, but that will have to wait a while as it needed to go back together for Easter.

thanks for your help.

Charlie

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Charlie,

I assume your 2002 has the 'hump' behind the instrument binnacle, if so the SKREEM module is located under the hump on the back of the speedo. Pry the edge of the trim nearest the windscreen up then pull the hump backwards to release it.
SKREEM Location.jpg

You should then be able identify the aerial wire and follow its route.

Keith.

Charliektm400exc

316 Ex Ambulance 2002
Charlie,

I assume your 2002 has the 'hump' behind the instrument binnacle, if so the SKREEM module is located under the hump on the back of the speedo. Pry the edge of the trim nearest the windscreen up then pull the hump backwards to release it.
View attachment 216336

You should then be able identify the aerial wire and follow its route.

Keith.
thanks,

in post 3 and 4 this was suggested, and Eric tells me the SKREEM has nothing to do with my issue, so I’m following that logic.

Top Bottom