Key Fob Issues - 2004 Vista Cruiser MB

davolala

Hi Everyone,

I have two questions. The first is that with the one fob I have the only way to lock the doors is to hit the lock button TWO times. I hit it once and it locks and then unlocks and then I have to hit it again and it will lock, unlock and then lock again. Has anyone dealt with this before? Is there any solution for this?

Also, I have another key but no fob for the extra key. What is the best way to go about getting another fob to use for locking and unlocking the doors?

Thanks for your help!

David

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The lock/unlock cycle means that the Sprinter thinks at least one of the doors is ajar (or the lock isn't fully "homing" (which flips a switch)).
Probably one of the triangles on your dashboard switch is either blinking (ajar) or remaining steadily lit (fully closed, but someone is still unlocked).

There are many many theads on this ... it's frequently a loose or broken wire.
FIRST (easy) thing to do is to clean *all* of the contact pads and springy pins ... the ones at the rear of the slider, and which bridge the hinge of the rear door.

--dick (wiring diagrams, etc: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2006-VA-SM.pdf )

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Agree with Dick that it is most likely signifying a door is not registering as fully closed.

Search the 'T1N Talk' sub forum for door locks, etc. as this is a base chassis issue rather than an upfitters issue.

Keith.

davolala

Hi Dick and Keith,

Thanks for the advice! I cleaned all of the sensors that I could find but the light on my dash is still blinking indicating that the passenger, side or back doors are ajar. I couldn't figure out how to get the sensors out to check if the wires to them are broken. Any pointers on how to check on this?

Also, on the passenger side door I didn't see any sensors just the button that is connected to the overhead light that goes on when the door is open. Are there any other sensors that I am missing on that door?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The *front* passenger and driver's doors run the wiring through the concertina rubber "boot" that's near the upper hinge.
A rare-but-has-happened fault is when the cotter pin securing the door swing-limiting bar inside the A pillar cuts into the nearby wiring harness.

--dick

davolala

Thanks Dick. How do I check the other sensors on the sliding side door and the back doors to see if a wire has come loose? Do I have to pry the sensor out? I don’t see any screws keeping them in

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The contact pads and spring fingers are held in a plastic piece.
That plastic piece has short protrusions that "snap in" to the rectangular hole in the metal.
Removal is kind of a "push along the length" to part-way disengage the "pushed from" end's protrusion, and apply a little prying force to lift it free. Once one end is loose, the other follows.

(digging to see if i can find a photo ... watch this space) ((added: no luck so far...))

--dick
p.s. while digging, found this photo of what can happen to the front doors' wire inside the A pillar:

DoorWiringDamage.jpg

Last edited:

Top Bottom