2016 box truck transmission failure

2016boxtruck

Hey guys. I own 2016 Sprinter box truck. It only has a 34.5k miles on it and it was diagnosed with failed transmission and it needs new torque converter according to dealership. Hard to believe in it but has anyone of you experienced/heard of anything like that? . Quote from MB is $9600.00!!

lindenengineering

Yes
We simply replaced the torque converter (its not cheap either) but its hardy a DIY job because you will have to re-code it once done.
Yes a spendy quote from MB dealer but not surprising.
Dennis

sailquik

216boxtruck,
Has 36k bumper to bumper warranty expired?
Might want to work with the dealer on whether or not it's 3 years/36 k mies or if it's just
36k miles.
Read your warranty booklet very carefully.
Perhaps you purchased the extended warranty?
Check everything.
They will try to get you to pay for it, even when it could possibly be covered
(or at least part of the cost) by the warranty.
Roger

220817a

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
Yes
We simply replaced the torque converter (its not cheap either) but its hardy a DIY job because you will have to re-code it once done.
Yes a spendy quote from MB dealer but not surprising.
Dennis
Only the 7 speed NAG2 requires coding if the control unit/conductor plate has been changed, since it is part of the DAS system. The 5 speed NAG1 does not require coding.

220817a

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
Hey guys. I own 2016 Sprinter box truck. It only has a 34.5k miles on it and it was diagnosed with failed transmission and it needs new torque converter according to dealership. Hard to believe in it but has anyone of you experienced/heard of anything like that? . Quote from MB is $9600.00!!
What exactly was the box truck doing? Vibrating? Slipping? Stuck in one gear?

lindenengineering

Only the 7 speed NAG2 requires coding if the control unit/conductor plate has been changed, since it is part of the DAS system. The 5 speed NAG1 does not require coding.
If its a 4 banger (as I suspect at that price quotation of that era) its a 7 speeder and the torque converter is a special only available from MB
Dennis

2016boxtruck

216boxtruck,
Has 36k bumper to bumper warranty expired?
Might want to work with the dealer on whether or not it's 3 years/36 k mies or if it's just
36k miles.
Read your warranty booklet very carefully.
Perhaps you purchased the extended warranty?
Check everything.
They will try to get you to pay for it, even when it could possibly be covered
(or at least part of the cost) by the warranty.
Roger
Yes it has expired . Its 2016. I was surprised that the warranty for drivetrain is 3/36 as well. I never bought a extended warranty. But still truck only has 34.5k miles on it. Just called Mercedes and opened a case with them...will see whats going to happen next week

Rob S

2018 Navion 24G IQ on 2016 Sprinter
If you get stuck with this and MB will not help, then you are probably not stuck with MB prices either.

A lot of transmission shops will rebuild the Sprinter 5-speed tranny. I had mine done at "Bullfrog Trans shop" in Victoria, BC for $4500 canadian ~3500 US a few years back, and it is going fine now for about 40k miles.

You do want to find a shop that works on them regularly, though.

D

Deleted member 50714

Describe in detail, symptoms?

have you checked the fluid level?

My guess probably not because it doesn’t have a factory installed transmission dipstick.

Check tranny fluid level is the first item to check.

Box truck operating continuously transporting heavy loads in city stop and go traffic? Are you or employees heavy or easy on the foot feed? Employees are notoriously well-known abusers of employer vehicles. Just observe, among others, taxis, FedEx and UPS drivers.

When was the last time tranny fluid changed?

Service intervals are recommendations, and must be adjusted according to vehicle operating conditions.

Driving habits and practices, particularly heavy acceleration contributes to what Mercedes describes as “arduous” driving conditions.

Finally, don’t believe everything a dealership says, get a second opinion.

Top Bottom