Mattress and Cushion Resource

Van-demic

I wanted to share that I found a great resource for anyone looking for a new mattress or cushion. I’m working with Friendly Foam in Seattle. They are doing a custom latex mattress for me to fit a bed platform along with a custom cover. They also can do just about any custom foam project and have a wide selection of fabrics including sunbrella and other hard wearing/waterproof options. The owner, Dean, said that I was one of hundreds of Sprinter owners that he’s worked with and the 3rd one this week. To add validity, a Story Teller pulled up as I was checking out. They were getting a new bed cut to fit the odd shapes that Story Teller uses. They also ship all over the US. I highly recommend them. https://friendlyfoam.com

rinkratrob

Thanks for the tip. Do you know if they have all the dims for say a 144" with Ad Wagon MOAB system then? Again good tip. Will obviously give them a yell myself, but thought I would ask.

Van-demic

I have high confidence they can do just about anything you would need but recommend verifying. My set up will require strips of high density foam around the edge of the platform to create an even plane for the mattress to rest on due to a gap between the platform and its mounting base. The owner talked about trimming the edges to match the contour of the rear doors as to not impact hinge function. He seemed to really understand Sprinters. Ad wagons are common enough that I’m guessing they have seen them before. Based on the dimensions of my platform, we are going with a queen for width but cutting down approximately 10 inches of height. We are not tall, so the plan is to side sleep within the factory dimensions.

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
Thanks for the tip. Do you know if they have all the dims for say a 144" with Ad Wagon MOAB system then? Again good tip. Will obviously give them a yell myself, but thought I would ask.
Bear in mind (if you aren't already) that the more complicated construction of the Adventure Wagon MOAB permits the bed to expand at lower elevations and contract at higher elevations (the elevation of the bed in the van, not the elevation of the van above the surface of the earth). It is something like 8" wider than standard queen size at the widest point, and shrinks as it goes up. I'm in the process of making bolsters for the sides so that when mine is low I have foam pads that keep the mattress centered that compress as the bed is raised up and can be removed completely from one side or both sides if necessary.

Each of my two bolsters are constructed from two pieces of foam that are covered by fabric that fastens them together on the bottom and the ends so that I can stuff small objects, books, etc. in between the two pieces of foam and have them retained there. The presence of the foam bolsters is intended to solve a minor issue of me falling into the gap between the edge of my queen size mattress and the wall of the van, as well as to provide yet another stuff point (primarily for books, maps, and other traveling literature that I consume at night before going to sleep).

rinkratrob

Bear in mind (if you aren't already) that the more complicated construction of the Adventure Wagon MOAB permits the bed to expand at lower elevations and contract at higher elevations (the elevation of the bed in the van, not the elevation of the van above the surface of the earth). It is something like 8" wider than standard queen size at the widest point, and shrinks as it goes up. I'm in the process of making bolsters for the sides so that when mine is low I have foam pads that keep the mattress centered that compress as the bed is raised up and can be removed completely from one side or both sides if necessary.

Each of my two bolsters are constructed from two pieces of foam that are covered by fabric that fastens them together on the bottom and the ends so that I can stuff small objects, books, etc. in between the two pieces of foam and have them retained there. The presence of the foam bolsters is intended to solve a minor issue of me falling into the gap between the edge of my queen size mattress and the wall of the van, as well as to provide yet another stuff point (primarily for books, maps, and other traveling literature that I consume at night before going to sleep).
Elemental - Very good point. I will have to factor that in when/ where I get a mattress done up. Thanks!

Van-demic

Just a quick update that I got my mattress installed. It’s perfect. They guys did a great job matching the contours of the van. I’ve used it several times and am really happy with the results. As Elemental points out, this solution works best for a fixed bed. I did keep what was cut in case I do flairs and need to extend the mattress back to queen length.

Top Bottom