Retirement

• Thread starter Deleted member 50714
  • Start date

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Retired 25 years ago. I just manage my investments for 4 hours a day. Mostly avoid paying taxes.

Roamers

2020 4X4 170 Crew
Haven't found the down side to retirement in going on 6 years. Have been offered part time work that pays more than I made before I retired; not even a little bit tempted.

45Kevin

I am about ready for retirement. The current economic situation in Calgary has changed the construction industry for the worse.
I tried to retire last December but the boss didn't want to let me go. There was no travel outside of the country anyway, so I kept working and got in a lot of skiing this winter.
It did put my build behind though.
But I want to go to eastern Canada this summer for a few months and told the boss I'd be gone at the end of my current project which is scheduled for completion in mid-late June.
Now he's thinking I could work from the road. I would do that if it was only a few hours a week. I'd also consider contract work for a particular project that fit in between road trips. I do enjoy the social aspect and mental challenges of my job.

It is nice to have an income and although I am sure we are in for a good retirement, with enough money to do the things we want to, I always worry that we don't have enough, or the stock market will crash, or whatever.

I just turned 64.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I enjoyed my career. It was just over. The computer revolution took all the fun out of what I did.
Another issue with a long retirement is that I budgeted for $50k/year. I've spent over double that for some years and now average over $80k. Good thing I planned for that. Just kind of shocking that an amount I considered high wasn't for long.
Now that I can actually get SS dollars and medicare knocked down my insurance and I got the mortgage paid off, it is easy again.

Roamers

2020 4X4 170 Crew
My decision to retire was a tough one because I enjoyed what I did and the people I worked with. Just wanted to spend more time doing other things.

Mr. Bills

Raconteur Emeritus
I hadn't planned on retiring the week I did, but when the senior partner's wife, Cruella, happened to be in the office and questioned why I took a long lunch (it was my 63rd birthday), it rubbed me the wrong way and I suggested in no uncertain terms that she should have carnal knowledge of herself.

My retirement party was the next day.

D

Deleted member 50714

I enjoyed my career as well. Very few professions where ya can lawfully bust heads, break ribs, and still keep your job.

My decision to retire was a tough one because I enjoyed what I did and the people I worked with. Just wanted to spend more time doing other things.
I really liked what I did. I worked with good people too. I was 51 years old when they decided to close the facility and send me away. I didn't want to relocate so started doing part time work Tues - Thurs. That was a good schedule. I decided to take SSA at 62 years old. I've had project offers, but haven't been tempted to work since 62 years old. I can fritter a day away as well as anyone, but often I help friends with projects. Now that summer is here most of that involves boats. There's nothin' better than messin' about with boats.

vic

D

Deleted member 50714

I worked with the dregs of society, murderers, rapist, child molesters, thieves, druggies, and then there was inmates too.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
My retirement was house-sale related.
I build new house in California and property taxes went way up, making living in economical dip pretty hard.
So sold the CA house, what after paying off mortgage and capital gain taxes, still left me with enough cash to buy Las Vegas mansion and live off the savings till I come to full retirement age.
I calculated that taking early retirement SS, or waiting would even up collected payments after 7 years, so planning on taking retirement for about 40 years - early SS made no sense to me. My late father collected >1/2 million of SS before he died.
Sadly CA house saved way more money than my professional jobs.

Lagom

Panic in Detroit
Now that I can actually get SS dollars
Prepare yourself for $85% of your benefits to be taxed. "Beginning in tax year 1984, ... retirees with incomes over $25,000 (in the case of married persons filing separately who did not live with the spouse at any time during the year, and for persons filing as "single"), or with combined incomes over $32,000 (if married filing jointly)" This figure has not been adjusted for inflation, so retirees just above the poverty line have a marginal tax rate of about 30% if they take out as much money as your expenses suggest due to the SS taxation.
(excerpt from Wikipedia)

The 1% is eating your lunch, geezer.

Top Bottom