Jayco 4x4 motorhome

Troglodyte

Hi
I'm new to the forum and am interested in buying the Jayco 4x4
I like remote touring and after having done a lap around Australia in 2017 with a 2007 Ford Transit with DIY live aboard fit-out saw firsthand the shortcomings of RWD on long wheel base vans
The step up in price in this category of vehicle is steep so I'm putting it out there on this forum to get feedback on the VS30 4x4 platform

Im interested in the following
1) Bullbar, this package doesn't have a bulbar, do I need one (I didn't have one on the Transit and only travelled behind big trucks at night if my circumstances required it)
2) Milage, with so many different figures posted, I have no idea what a realistic on road with a normally laden campervan would get @100km/hr on regular highways. The engine is the 2.2l twin turbo 120Kw version. 've read articles that the diff ratio at higher speeds chews the juice
3) Insurance costs, I plugged in as much info as I could into compare the market and came back with mid 2K quotes, is this realistic
4) Resale values, how much would you expect this 150K plus vehicle would drop after 100,000 Km of use
5) Will the coming engine and transmission platform reduce its access into remote areas compared to the current configuration
I have heaps more questions but I'll limit myself to these

ATX22M

I purchased this recently. Swapped out oem Tyres for 265/70/17R KO2 AT
Run in 4x4 configuration permanently

1. have ordered a smart bar - 4/12 wait
2. Drove Sydney to Kangaroo Island return - 4500 km
11.8L/100km
3. NRMA $2200 pa - 60% NCB 25% multiple policy discount. Agreed price $150000
4. Who knows but RVs currently great retained value as the waiting time is 6-9 months
5. Drove mainly gravel roads on KI and also did a number of muddy tracks to Otway ranges waterfalls - absolutely brilliant. Plenty of torque and traction.
low range capability is a huge bonus and a shame if the newer sprinters don’t have this

DalyellupZulu

4x4CampingInOz
Hi, I have had mine for around 2~3 months. Insurance is with CIL $149k $1542pa. Kept mine standard except for upgrading the Lithium setup ie additional batteries and Victron 3kVA inverter charger. Great vehicle, zero issues so far. Only issue was Jayco’s workmanship which is another story, nothing you can’t fix yourself as I have zero confidence in them doing it correctly after what I have experienced. Taken it on some dirt tracks & it has worked well when the conditions got slippery. I don’t normally drive in 4x4 mode and get around 11.5l/100km but then I was doing the speed limit. Once you have the smart bar fitted please share, keen to see what it looks like & what it cost fitted. Cheers M

Troglodyte

Hi Daly
Ive been quoted 4-5K to have the smart bar fitted and advised it interferes with the smart technology of the vehicle (lane assist, airbag deployment etc) so Ive decided not to go down that route at this stage but am open to other smartbar owner's opinions
Having use of all the features of the 4x4 when remote camping is essential so I'm looking at a petrol driven inverter generator around the 3kVA mark
Storing it in the van is my current issue complete with the fuel smells/storage etc
Upsizing the batteries and go electric inverter charger didn't seem applicable for prolonged aircon use but am interested in your findings
I intend staying in remote WA (hot) locations so Aircon will be in high demand
@ATX22M I asked about the tyres you run as an optional upgrade at the factory stage and their response was quite annoying stating the different tyre size would void MB factory warranty
I feel quite confident you have done your research and the increased wheel size combined with lower wall profile results in exactly the same overall tyre dimension and expect your tyre selection would benefit the 4wd performance. I would be interested in other members opinions on this
The 4X4 camper will be available for collection in December this year, it comes with 3 configurations as I understand it
1) bare rear area
2) Aisle with 2 single beds that can be merged into a large double
3) U shape bed base where the back is joined creating a convenient storage space accessible from the rear
Which format did you guys go with and why?
I'm leaning toward the aisle configuration enabling storage space between the bed bases for longer objects
Cheers
n

ATX22M

Others have fitted the smartbar on the Jayco All Terrain without any issues re adaptive cruise control or lane assist and Smartbar assured me their latest product is completely compatible

my Tyres are about 5% larger in diameter but all functions including adaptive cruise are fine

I went with the U shaped layout

storage is fine generally. For extended trips I use a tow hitch cargo carrier (Thule Backspace)

Attachments

DalyellupZulu

4x4CampingInOz
I have the u-shaped configuration which I have turned into king. I had to get some marine plywood for the bottom section so that it is supported (table only bridges so far between the 2 singles). I suggest if you get the Honda 2.2eu (I have the older 2kva one and it runs fine) it is more than enough to run the AC & other electrics. With the Victron MultiPlus 3000W Inverter 12V, 120A Charger 50A Transfer, it has the smarts to even run smaller generators and still run AC & other big appliances and when there is surplus / AC cycles it chargers the batteries at 120 amp.

DalyellupZulu

4x4CampingInOz
@ATX, With the Thule Backspace, how do you open the rear doors to get access to the rear? I see it folds back but is it enough to open the doors? Thanks M

Troglodyte

@ATX22M and @DalyellupZulu What add-ons did you get with your vans?
Mine is coming with the tow hitch and diesel heater at 152K all up
I really like the Thule Backspace idea and the tyres look great @ATX22M and will look further into the Honda generator @DalyellupZulu as I initially thought it was under specced to run the aircon and telly etc simultaneously
If I get the Smartbar, it will be a post purchase addition but will definitely post up pictures if it happens
Cheers
n

ATX22M

Factory add ons - tow hitch, diesel heater, outside BBQ gas bayonet, outdoor shower tap/connection and flyscreens for side and rear. Things I didn't expect that were present on delivery were the solar screens for front and rear, floor mats for front and the wireless TPMS

I swapped out their 120AH Lithium (sphere) and installed 3 of my own Itech 120AH lithiums and a 3000W inverter.

ATX22M

I really like the Thule Backspace idea and the tyres look great @ATX22M
If you get the backspace, need to turn the rear parking sensors off or every time you reverse the brakes get slammed on. Not an issue as the 360 degree camera provides all the parking assistance you need

Troglodyte

@ATX22M Wow!!!
Mine also gets outdoor shower but was quoted $1,500 for fly screens,(how do you find them?)
I have a 2000w inverter thrown in for 152K all up
What are solar screens?

ATX22M

Solar screens - block out windscreen side windows and rear windows at night
Flyscreens - good for Aussie summer - cost $450 for both Jayco Newcastle

Troglodyte

Thanks heaps for that, I suspect my sales guy is providing me with dodgy info on the screen costs, factory warranty regarding tyre dimension change and the Smartbar install. It could simply be that he has to do the retrofit /screen installs at his own expense with tradespeople who may not know how to do it???
I'm only a couple hours north of Newcastle so I may well get them to do the screens
Cheers
n

sridulfo

I purchased this recently. Swapped out oem Tyres for 265/70/17R KO2 AT
Run in 4x4 configuration permanently

1. have ordered a smart bar - 4/12 wait
2. Drove Sydney to Kangaroo Island return - 4500 km
11.8L/100km
3. NRMA $2200 pa - 60% NCB 25% multiple policy discount. Agreed price $150000
4. Who knows but RVs currently great retained value as the waiting time is 6-9 months
5. Drove mainly gravel roads on KI and also did a number of muddy tracks to Otway ranges waterfalls - absolutely brilliant. Plenty of torque and traction.
low range capability is a huge bonus and a shame if the newer sprinters don’t have this
do you mind sharing how much for the smart bar ? also have you considered a spare wheel and extra water/fuel carrier on barn doors?

sridulfo

Factory add ons - tow hitch, diesel heater, outside BBQ gas bayonet, outdoor shower tap/connection and flyscreens for side and rear. Things I didn't expect that were present on delivery were the solar screens for front and rear, floor mats for front and the wireless TPMS

I swapped out their 120AH Lithium (sphere) and installed 3 of my own Itech 120AH lithiums and a 3000W inverter.
sorry for the dumb question why did you swap the lithium and replace with three and not just add 2 more 120s?

ATX22M

do you mind sharing how much for the smart bar ? also have you considered a spare wheel and extra water/fuel carrier on barn doors?
$4200 AUD fitted - non winch bar
Have an Aluminess rear tyre holder and ladder on order. Went with this rather than an Owl or Agile option as I don’t need to change out the 270 degree hinges

Top Bottom