ABS surges

My 2005 2500 SHC 158 ABS has started to surge. When I apply the brakes, just before the van stops, The brake pedal pushes back and makes slight groan. Yesterday I pulled out from a stop, and the orange triangle light came on, the brakes applied themselves, the van almost came to a stop. I stepped on the accelerator and the the brakes released, the triangle went out and every thing was fine. The brakes work fine at high speed, just the pulsation/groan just before it stops.

The van was not overweight, the trailer was not being pulled, I did not step on the brakes.

I should mention the surge did not start until I had to use tire chains to get up a hill last week. I was pulling the job trailer, 3500 #.

Any suggestions? I have not gotten a PCMCIA to RS 232 yet, so I cannot use my new-to-me toy yet. I have less than 100,000 miles, so is this a warrentable repair? I will be in Portland on Monday, should I make an appointment at McCoy Freightliner?

I just called Mc Coy, the service writer thinks it time to do a brake job. I have almost 100,000 miles on it. But, the 2003 has about 150,000 miles and it did not do that before any of the brake jobs. My 2005 did not pulse before the first brake job. Does this sound likely?

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
My 2005 2500 SHC 158 ABS has started to surge. When I apply the brakes, just before the van stops, The brake pedal pushes back and makes slight groan. Yesterday I pulled out from a stop, and the orange triangle light came on, the brakes applied themselves, the van almost came to a stop. I stepped on the accelerator and the the brakes released, the triangle went out and every thing was fine. The brakes work fine at high speed, just the pulsation/groan just before it stops.

The van was not overweight, the trailer was not being pulled, I did not step on the brakes.

Any suggestions? I have not gotten a PCMCIA to RS 232 yet, so I cannot use my new-to-me toy yet. I have less than 100,000 miles, so is this a warrentable repair? I will be in Portland on Monday, should I make an appointment at McCoy Freightliner?
May be just dirt and contaminates build up on rotors pads dirty sensors tec ,give them a good clean.
Or it's the first indication pads are low?
Richard

I think I had a similar problem after I did my upper ball joints I had to hit them so hard to loosen them that I actually slid the abs sensor forward toward the abs sprocket, you know that thing with holes on it that tells the abs system what speed you are going. The sensor just sort of presses in and it is an easy fix just make sure the sensors are all about the same distance from the abs sprocket. I didn't have to even remove my tire just put them all the way left and then right. Hope this helps.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I think I had a similar problem after I did my upper ball joints I had to hit them so hard to loosen them that I actually slid the abs sensor forward toward the abs sprocket, you know that thing with holes on it that tells the abs system what speed you are going. The sensor just sort of presses in and it is an easy fix just make sure the sensors are all about the same distance from the abs sprocket. I didn't have to even remove my tire just put them all the way left and then right. Hope this helps.
If the wheel speed sensors are not corroded and seized in their sockets, you can gently tap them toward the tone wheel (segmented wheel) until they just make contact. Adjustment is automatic, with normal run out tolerance and wheel bearing play gently deflecting the sensor into final position.

As mentioned in the above post, no need to remove the road wheel. Just slide under front of vehicle and enjoy easy access to the back side of the wheel speed sensor. Doktor A

Alex

After replacing the hub and tone wheel , had the same problem :
" The brake pedal pushes back and makes slight groan when the van almost came to a stop"
Problem has been solved Thank you all for recommendation:thumbup:

Last edited:

woodman4599

If the wheel speed sensors are not corroded and seized in their sockets, you can gently tap them toward the tone wheel (segmented wheel) until they just make contact. Adjustment is automatic, with normal run out tolerance and wheel bearing play gently deflecting the sensor into final position.

As mentioned in the above post, no need to remove the road wheel. Just slide under front of vehicle and enjoy easy access to the back side of the wheel speed sensor. Doktor A
Brakes were surging and making that funky noise just at final braking (knew it was abs issue) so sprayed front sensors with pb cleaner then used small block of wood with small hammer gently tapping and they went in just slightly. Test drove and problem solved. Thanks! That was a thorn for quite awhile.:thumbup:

Top Bottom