Finally a method to defeat Traction Control!!

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
Thanks.
What's the (practical) difference between this 'Dyno Mode' and disabling ESP (throttle limiter)?

(I don't consider doing doughnuts in a tall 9000lb van 'practical'.)

tDot

I can't tell you the exact parameters that ESP operates under, but I know when I use it, that it only allows limited wheel spin before it will activate again. It will still shut down power to the engine under what the system deems too be much wheel slip.

Wheel slip can be necessary in various situations such as snow, sand or loose gravel where you will get wheel slip and need to maintain a spinning tire to maintain limited forward motion. The moment power is cut to the engine by ESP, you can be stuck. This can be especially problematic with the turbo as it needs to re-spool to get sufficient power again. It can turn a minor obstacle into an impossible situation

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I was using traction off for going to ski resorts.
Years of snow driving in the past teach me controlling vehicle inertia and keeping it in direction of travel, when the system would disable throttle control after certain amount of spinning.
But doing so you are loosing the benefit of traction, when on gravel road you not likely will have drifting.
So I agree with RVBarry that practical use might not find many applications.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Adding some explanation, when we have single ESP, or dyno mode button, the system combines ESP and ASR.
ESP works on drifting, when ASR is the 1 killing the throttle when detects too much spinning.
Forum wisdom says that pressing ESP off is never disconnecting it in 100%, but ASR is off and that what counts.

dmgagne

This is great, thanks for sharing as I was trying to figure this out. I often drive in snow and loose gravel and the truck thinks its smarter than me lol. I find it often will cut throttle response when you actually need it and want to accelerate but the sensors detect slip and you can put your foot to the floor and it goes nowhere. Again, thanks for sharing. Derek

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Thanks.
What's the (practical) difference between this 'Dyno Mode' and disabling ESP (throttle limiter)?

(I don't consider doing doughnuts in a tall 9000lb van 'practical'.)
I didn’t see anyone doing donuts. ?

Good info. A friend mentioned this very issue to me recently, said once he figured out how to turn esp off, his van (ncv3 4x4) performed much better off road.

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
I didn’t see anyone doing donuts. ?

Good info. A friend mentioned this very issue to me recently, said once he figured out how to turn esp off, his van (ncv3 4x4) performed much better off road.
Yes, turning off ESP and/or ASR is helpful to stop the ECU from cutting the throttle in sand, etc.

But dyno mode also completely disables ABS and all traction and stability control modes.
Disabling ABS could be useful in deep gravel, but in sand it'd probably dig you in more when braking (I know you're not supposed to really use the brakes in sand if possible).

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Yes, turning off ESP and/or ASR is helpful to stop the ECU from cutting the throttle in sand, etc.

But dyno mode also completely disables ABS and all traction and stability control modes.
Disabling ABS could be useful in deep gravel, but in sand it'd probably dig you in more when braking (I know you're not supposed to really use the brakes in sand if possible).
Hmm ? I don’t use brakes in sand... unless a worse fate than getting stuck is directly ahead.
In my limited experience driving in sand is all about keeping momentum, and “float”.
I’m certainly no expert, but raced motocross and rode in sand often when I was a kid, and later had a 66 and 69 ford broncos for a short time (wish I’d never sold them!). Had friends with jeeps, land cruisers, and old scouts (ehk), and an original 56 chevy 4x4 pick up (awesome). Consider many 4x4 vehicles managed to get where they were going long before abs was a thing.

Last edited:

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Keeping the momentum on sand and snow sure is old technology trick to success, however new technology keeps on bringing new surprises.
There are videos on youtube showing new Toyotas and Nissans SUV coming with "crawling" software.
From what I am getting about it, the computers makes small wheel movements and detects the wheels with better traction without spinning.
This moved SUV dug in the sand up to differentials, while the driver was watching the movie.

Rally1

Thanks for adding this, just found this limitation today. Trying to get out of a steep canyon on loose baseball sized rocks, pedal to the floor no power orange blinking light (I was in 4 low). I had to stop and then go again, then it would give me back the power I needed, had to do that a few times to get out. If I run into that again I'll try this.

P

Patrick walsh

Hate Esp..

As of late I’ve been camping in this field that has only small sections mowed.

My favorite spot is actually on a hill with a clearing only big enough to doa ten point turn in. I get to one spot in the process and every time the peddle goes to the floor. Now I just drop it in neutral back up a slight and then pop it in gear and I’m good.

Used to work in a old mill building that had stop light on a hill that interested a main road. Had to take a blind 60% ish turn to get out. No way to mitigate this but stop on the grade at the traffic light or the light sensor wouldn’t pick you up. Esp would get you stuck every time.

My feeling growing up in New England is if you know how to drive you don’t need a computer anything. I sound old and I’m not but I’d give anything for crank windows and carburator. If so I’d actually be able to get my sprinter to last me most of my life.

But the 1% don’t want that and they have convinced the little man of their system suggested we need “their” jobs. I say they might be right maybe we do. Or we could just do with less people and less stuff and fix the same problem.

Just to be clear I’m a Uber liberal not a tinfoil hat wearing anti gobermant type.

Thump_rrr

Is there an ESP button somewhere or buried somewhere in the menu’s?

Mine is a 2021 144 OM-651 2wd.

I got stuck this morning in a clients parking lot.
There was 6” of snow on top of freezing rain which I wasn’t aware of.

It took me 40 minutes to get 300’
I found the above video and put it in dyno mode to get me going otherwise I would have needed a tow to get out.

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
Interesting thread. My 2008 seems to have something similar, accessible even using the low-line instrument cluster (without steering wheel buttons), called "roll test" which can be turned on or off.

I haven't tried it out, but I'll keep it in the back of my mind if I end up in a low traction situation where totally disabling these systems could be helpful.

scottid1

Interesting thread. My 2008 seems to have something similar, accessible even using the low-line instrument cluster (without steering wheel buttons), called "roll test" which can be turned on or off.

I haven't tried it out, but I'll keep it in the back of my mind if I end up in a low traction situation where totally disabling these systems could be helpful.
I'll have to check that out. I've not had the throttle cut when stuck in sand etc with the esp off but good to know if i'm in a situation where i need it.

I’ve been in crazy snow conditions in Mammoth this last month and indeed turning off esp, Lka, parking sensors, all of it, sure helps a ton! Also spent a lot of time in low range, (which isn’t very low of course), for general town driving.

Top Bottom