Tiffin Wayfarer and OCCC

tnsimons

I am buying a new RV. I have an LTV Unity MB on order but still searching. I like the Tiffin Wayfarer RW but can't get past the super low OCCC. I've searched all over this forum and found some discussion of what OCCC is - and about how Wayfarer is top selling Class C but nothing about how people who own a Wayfarer actually do with their weight.

My assumption is they run far over GVWR and don't know or don't care. I understand the theory of being over GVWR. Does anyone have actual observations of overweight problems - accidents, declined insurance, excessive wear and tear, other? I don't see how I can buy a Wayfarer RW unless I learn something that others seem to know.

Thanks

GaryJ

Here since 2006
Curious, just how low is the OCCC? I have one of the first class C motorhomes built on a Sprinter chassis, and with a lower GVWR I’ve lived with minimal capacity for 14 years.

Gary

bigb

2011 Winnebago Via 25Q on 2010 3500 Tucson, AZ
A bit of Googling shows the Wayfarer payload to be somewhere between 500-700 lbs depending on model. That is not a lot, I thought my Class A Via was tight with 1,000 lbs. Figuring out of that payload you have to consider occupants and fuel you are already close before you start loading for travel. You would probably have to travel with dry tanks, even with my 1,000 lbs I never plan to carry more than 1/4 tank of fresh water. With such low payload capacity it makes off grid camping somewhat of a challenge, it's more like a portable hotel room IMHO. I have often wondered how many travel overweight, and by how much, and the consequences. Will be following to see how others "weigh in"

Last edited:

tnsimons

I'm still in search mode and the OCCC is specific to each unit. I just got off the phone with one of the five Tiffin dealer reps. She was emphatic that the messaging about Wayfarer and OCCC (ie 500-700lbs) is old info. She said two things of note:
  1. The 2021 model year saw a "life cycle change" with new molded front and rear, new composite flooring, new molded shower, different truss work - all made the coach lighter weight. The typical OCCC is now in the 950-1050 range.
  2. Tiffin weighs the unit at the end of the manufacturing line after they have filled 24.6 gals of diesel and 12 gal of LP (total about 220 lbs if I calculated it right). She also stated that the Wayfarer's biggest competitor weighs their unit without the fuels. If true then it inflates the OCCC of competition's model.
If anyone has a 2021 Wayfarer and can share their OCCC label I would appreciate it.

bigb

2011 Winnebago Via 25Q on 2010 3500 Tucson, AZ
The only way to know for sure it to dry weigh it at a scale before signing the deal, GVWR minus curb weight=available payload.

Zoe

I'm still in search mode and the OCCC is specific to each unit. I just got off the phone with one of the five Tiffin dealer reps. She was emphatic that the messaging about Wayfarer and OCCC (ie 500-700lbs) is old info. She said two things of note:
  1. The 2021 model year saw a "life cycle change" with new molded front and rear, new composite flooring, new molded shower, different truss work - all made the coach lighter weight. The typical OCCC is now in the 950-1050 range.
  2. Tiffin weighs the unit at the end of the manufacturing line after they have filled 24.6 gals of diesel and 12 gal of LP (total about 220 lbs if I calculated it right). She also stated that the Wayfarer's biggest competitor weighs their unit without the fuels. If true then it inflates the OCCC of competition's model.
If anyone has a 2021 Wayfarer and can share their OCCC label I would appreciate it.
The OCCC does NOT include fuel, so she is either uninformed or lying. Furthermore, even an OCCC of 1000 is too low. My Unity is 1600 and it’s all too easy to exceed.

tnsimons

The OCCC does NOT include fuel, so she is either uninformed or lying. Furthermore, even an OCCC of 1000 is too low. My Unity is 1600 and it’s all too easy to exceed.
She agrees with you that OCCC does not include fuel. That is why her company computes curb weight or unloaded vehicle weight including fuel - because it is not part of cargo. I apologize if my post was confusing.

Adam13527

Attachments

Hooligan2

2016 Thor Siesta 24ST OCCC is 1178# Fully loaded for travel, Food, tools, clothes, etc,
1/2 tank fresh water, driver and passenger... I have 300 lbs of capacity remaining based on actual CAT scale weight.
OCCC-2.jpgOCCC-2.jpg

mattgreven

Mine is a 2020 25 RW and OCCC is 768. Which means, leave the Newfie at home.

Top Bottom