ThinkDiag Pro

220817a

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
Had an opportunity to use ThinkDiag Pro on a VS30... The scanner does read and do a health scan, but with limited capability. It was only able to see and find the modules from the pictures below... It was not able to correctly communicate with the engine control module though...Screenshot_20210822-114105_ThinkCar pro.jpgScreenshot_20210822-114153_ThinkCar pro.jpg

ColinG

I have an 08 Dodge Sprinter and I'm looking for a scanner.
Is the Launch Icarsoft worth the extra dollars over the ThinkDiag?
Will either of these 2 work offline or do you need to be connected.
The 40$/year is for updates or full services [ I hate subscriptions]

Thanks for any help.

toomanycircles

‘06 T1N 140 SHC
I just purchased a TD and i’m trying to understand a few things. What do they label the MAF adaptation in the scanner? I can’t seem to find it. Also is it possible to view O2 data for a T1N in the sprinter specific software? I can’t seem to find it and the generic OBD function doesn’t seem to work well with the sprinter.

JoeyB

Neat. I have an Autel md802 but considering trying to sell it and pick one of these up considering it's ability to run compression/smooth running test and code in my new injectors.

Zundfolge

Always learning...
I just purchased a TD and i’m trying to understand a few things. What do they label the MAF adaptation in the scanner? I can’t seem to find it. Also is it possible to view O2 data for a T1N in the sprinter specific software? I can’t seem to find it and the generic OBD function doesn’t seem to work well with the sprinter.
I can't find MAF adaptations either. I'm starting to think it doesn't exist with this tool. I thought it would be in the "maintenance functions" section, just tried this morning and don't see it in any menus.

02 data is in the "OBD functions section."

mitch500

I bought one of these things too. It doesn't seem to light up or power up when connected to the sprinter. When I connect it to my other vehicles it powers up no problem with the green oval. Any thoughts?

mitch500

I bought one of these things too. It doesn't seem to light up or power up when connected to the sprinter. When I connect it to my other vehicles it powers up no problem with the green oval. Any thoughts?
Never mind, you really have to jam.it in there. It powered up

marklg

I posted this before, but one thing I found is the ODB2 connector in the Sprinter doesn't seem to mate correctly to the Thinkdiag. I added a fully populated ODB2 Y cable between it and the the connector and it works fine.

You could try one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071L8W7Q7?th=1

I didn't connect two dongles to it. It just seems it has all the wires populated, and they are ones you can pop out if you need to modify the connections. That was my plan, but just using the cable made it work. Maybe the connector pins mate better.

Regards,

Mark

Ambofantastico

I just recieved my thinkdiag and have been trying to figure out out. I wasn't successful with the thinkdiag+ app but have had good luck with the icarscan app. I thought I was experiencing some of the obd port issues mentioned by others, but it turned out I just needed to push the dongle into the port much harder than I thought.

Here's my question:

I'm trying to track down an intermittent limp mode and having a hard time with the turbo actuator test. When I run the egr valve test it works great, I can turn the valve on and off with the buttons in the app and observe the corresponding changes in egr position and subsequently boost pressure. The similar thing doesn't happen with the turbo actuator test, nothing happens when I select the on/ of buttons in the app, no change in indicated position or in measured intake pressure. The actuator does move through its travel upon startup like its supposed to, so I know it's able to move. Can anyone tell me what their experience has been with the actuator test? I'm now trying to detrimental weather this is a software bug or a valid test result, which is irritating but surely due to my ignorance as much as the device.
Also, I was hoping that with this fully featured scanner I would be able to find out more details on limp modes as they happen but I still can't find any acknowledged by the scanner that a limp mode is active, am I missing something?
My van is a 2005, om647. Thanks!

Zundfolge

Always learning...
I just recieved my thinkdiag and have been trying to figure out out. I wasn't successful with the thinkdiag+ app but have had good luck with the icarscan app. I thought I was experiencing some of the obd port issues mentioned by others, but it turned out I just needed to push the dongle into the port much harder than I thought.

Here's my question:

I'm trying to track down an intermittent limp mode and having a hard time with the turbo actuator test. When I run the egr valve test it works great, I can turn the valve on and off with the buttons in the app and observe the corresponding changes in egr position and subsequently boost pressure. The similar thing doesn't happen with the turbo actuator test, nothing happens when I select the on/ of buttons in the app, no change in indicated position or in measured intake pressure. The actuator does move through its travel upon startup like its supposed to, so I know it's able to move. Can anyone tell me what their experience has been with the actuator test? I'm now trying to detrimental weather this is a software bug or a valid test result, which is irritating but surely due to my ignorance as much as the device.
Also, I was hoping that with this fully featured scanner I would be able to find out more details on limp modes as they happen but I still can't find any acknowledged by the scanner that a limp mode is active, am I missing something?
My van is a 2005, om647. Thanks!
Can't speak to actuator test but under what conditions is the limp mode present? Is it triggering a light? If it's your standard sneaky boost leak then it may or may not trigger a CEL, and you have to just troubleshoot that. If it does trigger a CEL then the ThinkDiag can read it. CEL's triggered by boost leaks reset with key off, though I think they usually store, so you should still be able to see it.

A quick (non-conclusive) test though, with engine running and you unplug the MAF, then plug it back in, does the actuator arm move up and down? It will also change the exhaust sound.

Ambofantastico

Can't speak to actuator test but under what conditions is the limp mode present? Is it triggering a light? If it's your standard sneaky boost leak then it may or may not trigger a CEL, and you have to just troubleshoot that. If it does trigger a CEL then the ThinkDiag can read it. CEL's triggered by boost leaks reset with key off, though I think they usually store, so you should still be able to see it.

A quick (non-conclusive) test though, with engine running and you unplug the MAF, then plug it back in, does the actuator arm move up and down? It will also change the exhaust sound.
Thanks for the response. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when the limp happens, it has happened under heavy load and under very little throttle. The CEL also isn't consistent, the limp has happened with and without triggering a CEL. Currently the CEL is on as the LHM has been happening very often, and there are codes stored for the "charge pressure control is faulty" -2359-001 and for the EGR - 2355-002. With my old basic obdII scanner I was getting generic "low boost" codes but my assumption was that improper egr or actuator operation could cause low boost, so I couldn't make much of a low boost indication, is that premise wrong? maybe I'm over thinking it and the thing is definitively telling me there's a boost leak I need to track down? If so then it must be in the intercooler itself because I've checked everything else. Getting even a peak at that thing is going to be a chore.
I unplugged the MAF sensor and the actuator did move, and when I plugged it back in the actuator returned. At first instead of releasing the plug the whole MAF popped out of the intake, wups, but it seemed to snap back into place positivity.

So are you saying that the limp mode event itself won't create a code or any kind of record for the thinkdiag software to find? Thanks, I'm new to this kind of scanner

Attachments

220817a

Did get a chance to put the device to the test with the newly acquired capabilities that were added with the latest update for the device... It turns out that ThinkDiag has greater capability and access than DAS or Xentry. On a 2013 Sprinter with the CR60 control module, I was able to code the HGB and VMax up and down (5 - 82 mph) without any problems, something that DAS is not able to do. I also tested on a 2016 Sprinter with CR43 (OM651) control module and it was able to code and do the same thing, HGB and VMax 5 - 82mph... Xentry has no access to the variant coding at all on 2014 and up Sprinters, but this device does. For any of you NCV3/T1N owners that might have a van that is governed at a speed of less than 82mph, ThinkDiag dongle is your solution for that.

This means that ThinkDiag has full access to the variant coding of the engine (OM642 and OM651) and is able to code the AdBlue system off along with the AdBlue restrictions/counter...

Attachments

marklg

And, the age old question: Does the smooth running test work now on 2004-2006 T1Ns?

Which Thinkdiag app are you using now? Thinkcar Pro has been recently updated. Thinkdiag+ is months old.

Regards,

Mark

220817a

And, the age old question: Does the smooth running test work now on 2004-2006 T1Ns?

Which Thinkdiag app are you using now? Thinkcar Pro has been recently updated. Thinkdiag+ is months old.

Regards,

Mark
I will test again in few days on a T1N and see what the results are... I used ThinkCar Pro with the last update.

Top Bottom