Route Advice for next week ? Rockies Area WY/CO/UT

Eric B

Hello all,

I'm doing a 7day 4200 mile roundtrip with a buddy starting a week from today.
This is more of a deliveries kind of run, rather than a sightseeing one, so I don't expect we'll have too much time for side excursions along the way...
We are going to do most of our driving during daylight so might as well enjoy some beautiful scenery along the way.

On the westbound return leg, I've got three possible routes I'm eyeing and wanted to put it out there to see what you all think:

_ From Minneapolis, down to Sioux City, then Lincoln NE, then Cheyenne WY (spend the night), then down through SLC to Vegas (spend the night), then home to SoCal

or

_ Minneapolis down to Iowa, across Kansas, to Denver (spend the night), up and over the Rockies, down to Vegas (spend the night), then home to SoCal

or

_ Minneapolis, Iowa, Kansas, Denver (as above, & spending the night here), but then down to Durango, and maybe spending the second night in Flagstaff, then home to SoCal

All three routes come out to within 100miles of each other in distance, and within an hour or two in timing.
According to the gas buddy calculator, the fuel used is give or take the same as well, so it really just comes down to scenery.

For those of you familiar with the Rockies, any advice you can share on preferred routes will be appreciated.
Thanks,

-e

Last edited:

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
There isn't much in SLC, so if you take 189 shortcut, it will lead you via beautiful valley.
If you can scratch 1/2 day, go to Zion.
Where in Vegas you plan to stop?

Eric B

Hi Kajtek

I'm very familiar with Zion / Bryce / Monument Valley / Moab / etc from previous trips.
Unfortunately there won't be time to detour to any of those NPs on this trip unfortunately...

Just wondering if I should go "above" the Rockies (Cheyenne), through the Rockies (Denver), or "below" the Rockies (Durango/Flagstaff)

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
From my recollection AZ route has better scenery, but than both of them get boring on long run.
I usually choose the route I have not seen yet.
Fill up at Kingsman Safeway as prices will go up and up from there.
Dine in Flagstaff.

If you choose a route that allows it, don't miss an opportunity to drive Utah Route 12. It is worth going out of your way a bit to experience it.

When around Las Vegas I would recommend the short detour to the Valley of Fire. Well worth the effort vs the Hoover Dam or some other options.

We loved the petroglyphs. be certain to look around for more of them while in the general area. We noticed many that the park signs won't steer you toward.

vic

glasseye

If you choose a route that allows it, don't miss an opportunity to drive Utah Route 12. It is worth going out of your way a bit to experience it.
+ 1 on UT 12. I’ve done it many times over the years. It never gets old. Particularly nice in springtime.:dance:

Top Bottom