Changing sensors to rectify sprint shift issues?

spinkle

My 2002 sprinter has sprint shift issues where it drops out of automatic into manual mode. I took it to local garage which suggested changing gearbox oil but then gave up on it because they couldn't get hold of the correct filter. After some forum searching I read a couple of posts saying issue might be related to either cam position sensor or vac transducer issues - both of which seem to be fairly cheap parts so I'm considering a last ditch diy effort to try changing one or both of these. Any advice on if this sounds like it might solve the issue and on how exactly to change these parts (I found a video on YouTube for the cam position sensor but advice on the vac transducer would be useful. I think I found the part on eBay - is it this? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154305908655?epid=1547366194&hash=item23ed594faf:g:t~cAAOSwxTdgDooz

From reading around it sounds like the vac transducer seems more likely to be the issue, as the cam position sensor is only supposed to be used for starting the engine.

Eric Experience

Sprkle
If your engine starts it's not your cam sensor unless it only happens when its hot, if it is a hot only problem then try starting with the engine hot.
The vac unit is the same as the egr control so just swap them over. Eric

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
The linked part looks right, but if I recall there is more than one part number depending on your engine type so either check with a dealer or take yours off and look at it or swap test as Eric suggests. It’s behind / below the offside headlight on a right hand drive variant (take the grille and headlight off to get to it).

spinkle

Sprkle
If your engine starts it's not your cam sensor unless it only happens when its hot, if it is a hot only problem then try starting with the engine hot.
The vac unit is the same as the egr control so just swap them over. Eric
thanks Eric, it does in fact only happen when hot. Do you mean if it’s the cam sensor the engine also wouldn’t start when hot? (It does)

Eric Experience

Spinkle
Yes you cam sensor is OK. You are assuming that the engine is the cause, it may not be, the mechanic that suggested changing the oil has no clue how the transmission works. Other cures have been to clean the electrical plug. there are a few Sprinter operators in Britain hopefully one will chime in soon. Eric.

spinkle

Spinkle
Yes you cam sensor is OK. You are assuming that the engine is the cause, it may not be, the mechanic that suggested changing the oil has no clue how the transmission works. Other cures have been to clean the electrical plug. there are a few Sprinter operators in Britain hopefully one will chime in soon. Eric.
Thanks Eric - quick update - I changed the vac transducer but it hasn't fixed it.. just wondering which electrical plug you were referring to above - the plug on which part? If cleaning it is not complicated I might give that a try before I give up on it..

Top Bottom