Driving in four wheel drive on pavement for extended periods

OffroadHamster

besides the size issue, my 4x4 Sprinter will never go down trails like my Z71 Chevy and GMC trucks do.. they have actual limited slip differentials unlike the open ones on a Sprinter.. for urban users the 4x4 Sprinter is great for additional traction in typical urban user conditions (gravel roads, wet or icy roads, going to snow country, etc) but anyone that has truly used 4wd vehicles offroad knows the limitations and differences.. real 4x4 users want to disconnect sway bars and have performance differentials for traction in real 4x4 conditions and uses, they want to be able to use the engine and not have a computer over ride them...
All true, HOWEVER, even us initiated in the world of 4X, might pick a nit or two with you about the sprinters actual capability. It can be goaded into doing things it wasnt explicitly designed for and is a pretty capable platform considering its a commercial delivery van. YEs, I want an electronic locking rear, a compound low center with lock, and a truetrac front in my van. But I do have a sway bar disconnect :rad:

Ive gotten some pretty wild eyed stares from the Jeepelite. We climbed up to Laurel Lakes near mammoth last summer (yes it was Sloooowwwww) and the crew of land cruisers, tacomas and jeeps at the top came over and gawked pretty hard. One guy admitted he would have to stop bad-mouthing the "yuppies in their mall crawling sprinters". I did need a front alignment afterword's :(

Bakerpr

So, by this logic, a Series 2 Land Rover Discovery is actually just AWD not a 4x4? Some don't have a centre difflock (and have open diffs in axles). Similarly all Defenders have selectable difflock but I wouldn't describe that as changing the vehicle from AWD to 4x4...

OffroadHamster

All series II have the same locking center as the series 1. However LR in their infinite wisdom did not initially install the means to actuate. MANY owners subsequently modified and added back the ability until LR admitted the error in 2002.

And yes, the Disco is full time AWD. Some might mince words here, because the disco has a true gear driven locking center diff and solid axles front and back. Maybe you get away with calling it full time 4wd? LR is a bit of an exception to general classification rules.

Last edited:

Bakerpr

So following this logic the Defender can be switched from AWD to 4x4 by engaging the diff?

How about the late Range Rover Classic and P38 that have a viscous coupling to engage difflock when required? Are they AWD or 4x4?

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
This video illustrates how effective a center locking diff is, using of course the LR Discovery.

Sprinter has no center differential lock.

OffroadHamster

So following this logic the Defender can be switched from AWD to 4x4 by engaging the diff?

How about the late Range Rover Classic and P38 that have a viscous coupling to engage difflock when required? Are they AWD or 4x4?
Lets look at every vehicle ever made..

How about a subaru with a viscous center diff or a clutched center diff? Is it a 4x4? No.

A 4x4 is a vehicle, generally speaking, is a 2wd vehicle with the ability to engage 4wd with the ability to lock the rotational rate between the front and rear prop shafts (CDL), and generally, though not always, has a low range.

The rover is an awd vehicle with a locking center diff. Just like the Gen 1 Touareg is an awd vehicle with available center, rear and if you find the needle in the haystack, front locking differentials.

Without locking differentials, the sprinter is an AWD vehicle. The fact that it uses MB's 4matic all wheel drive system, should be evidence enough. It happens to be selectable.

Kevin.Hutch

2011 Mercedes 313 906
Kevin: even with a center diff it will still move easily in this scenario without binding. Its whether that diff is open or locked. The best demonstration is a subaru with DCCD (driver controlled center differential). Full open, the car will turn its tightest circle without issue. Full lock and it will pop, grind and hop.
Without a centre dif the tyres will have to make up for the differing turn radius and wheel speed.

1. A differential is only a diff when unlocked or limited slip, (driver controlled center differential) means turning in on an off.

There are many ways of limiting slip in a differential without locking it, especially the centre differential the issue is the one wheel spin problem that is addressed in many ways. Manufactures have applied the term AWD to indicate that the vehicle is designed to operate permanently with drive to all wheels and each manufacturer may use a different method to lock or limit the centre diff. Usually only when it is without driver intervention is it call AWD. It is ideal for sub zero roads where ice and snow are not always present and where a vehicle is often used with a mixture of road surfaces.

2. A 6-wheel drive vehicle is just as much an AWD as a 4-wheel drive and even some 4 & 6 wheel drive vehicles have only one diff (commonly called skid steer). We use an 88 wheeled AWD vehicle in heavy haulage using a hydraulic drive to compensate for all the differing turn circles.

Ed463

This video illustrates how effective a center locking diff is, using of course the LR Discovery.

Sprinter has no center differential lock.
It's got the traction control turned off?
So it's a 1wd vs. 2wd demonstration. Pointless video

E350

Would someone who believes that there is a center differential on the NCV3 3500 "4x4" kindly post up a photo of it?

I have crawled under my van and all I see is the typical transfer case with drive shaft to the front differential.

I am probably missing something, but it looks like every 4x4 I have ever owned.

What does this center differential look like? So I can inspect it.

And since it is a "differential" I probably should check the fluid in it shouldn't I?

Last edited:

Top Bottom