Bellingham Washington
Contact Info
Gowandrlost@gmail.com
Price
Firm/OBO/Auction
Price is Firm
Model Year
Mileage
I'm selling a 2016 Mercedes Benz Sprinter Van that has been converted into an offgrid adventure vehicle for #vanlife travels. I built it myself and have driven it almost everywhere. I've taken it to the top of Mt. Evans in Colorado (elevation 14,265). I’ve taken it thru slot canyons and crossed red sand rivers in Moab. I've sat on the roof and watched the waves break along the rugged shores of Big Sur. I've camped for free at the entrance to Yosemite, and gone clear across country to catch the early morning haze of the Great Smoky Mountains. 2WD, but I’ve taken it deep on some truly gnarly roads and find the high roof is more a limiting factor than drivetrain.

The van has 75,000 miles on it and is fitted out with everything important, including a 7 year, 175,000 mile transferrable factory warrantee from Mercedes Benz that covers everything mechanical for peace of mind.

Inside, there's a 21gallon water tank with a sureflo pump, a big sink for doing dishes and a 0.5micron in-line water filter with a carbon core to keep things tasting great. Underneath is a 5.7gallon undermount propane tank, fueling a dual burner cooktop. There's also a 65L Dometic Fridge/freezer with enough room for tons of food. All of this is powered by a 400watt/ 400ampHr Solar setup from Renogy that just works - even in the cloudy Pacific Northwest. Backing that up is a Blue Sea ACR. There’s also a 2000watt inverter charger and an electrical pass-thru for shore power at campsites.

I had the entire van spray foamed, so it's amazingly quiet and is as well insulated as your average home (R13). That helps with the heat, but so does the Maxx-Air fan in the roof. And on cold, snowy days there's a Webasto Diesel furnace that cranks so toasty you'll be comfortable in shorts! The futon - topped with a memory foam mattress - folds out into a full size bed and is incredibly comfortable after a long day on the trail. In fact, it's some of the best, most comfortable sleep I've ever had. The passenger seat swivels to make an “L” shaped seating area in back.

There's plenty of storage as well. I store blankets, hammock and camp chairs in the woven paracord netting over the front seats. I store clothes and outdoor gear in the boxes over the futon. Photo equipment, larger outdoor gear and any clothes in need of being hung are stored in the wardrobe in the back, while dry pantry goods are stored in the Oxo Pop boxes over the kitchenette window. The goal was to keep everything as light and minimal as possible, since I don't see any point in driving around with tons of cabinetry.

What about a built in bathroom? This is most people's first question. I'll direct you here for a more objective understanding of what is required (in terms of space and equipment): https://bearfoottheory.com/sprinter-van-bathroom-pros-and-cons/ With my build I would recommend a portable cassette toilet that can be stowed away or kept outside the van on HOT days (I'll leave it to your imagination as to why, and let you imagine how fun it would be to have a built in plumbing system), as well as a solar shower off the back of the van.

If you've done your research you'll know that I went full Jurassic Park on the build (Spare no expense). It's got all the goodies. That said though, if you want a van to primarily park in RV parks and campgrounds, then you're looking at the wrong vehicle. This vehicle was built for a couple (maybe with a dog) that wants to regularly find gorgeous, off-grid campsites and take a break from people for a while. I have spent a full 27 days living in the van in backcountry Utah before having to make a trip to town for groceries and a water top-off. If that's primarily what you want from a vehicle, then this is the van for you.

Currently in San Diego, but will be driving north and will arrive in Bellingham around May 5.

Title is clean and paid off. Easy transaction.

Attachments

Top Bottom