I bought a Sprinter from a guy on Gumtree (UK). I know nothing about vans. I took pics. Can you please help me assess how screwed I am?

cuffiesprinter

Pretty much as per title.
Mercedes Sprinter, 130K miles, year 2011, MWB 313, diesel.
I bought the van for 4000£ British pounds. The guy said that mechanically it is perfect and never gave him issues.
I drove it for 1 hour and it seemed ok.
Can you help me assess in what condition it is? I took pics, but due to my inexperience, I don't know what's "normal".
I attached various pics, including warning yellow messages and leaks at the bottom.

(There is a limit to how many pictures I can attach)

Attachments

cuffiesprinter

Pretty much as per title.
Mercedes Sprinter, 130K miles, year 2011, MWB 313, diesel.
I bought the van for 4000£ British pounds. The guy said that mechanically it is perfect and never gave him issues.
I drove it for 1 hour and it seemed ok.
Can you help me assess in what condition it is? I took pics, but due to my inexperience, I don't know what's "normal".
I attached various pics, including warning yellow messages and leaks at the bottom.

(There is a limit to how many pictures I can attach)

Attachments

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Looks like a deal.
1. you must drive over 50MPH for 45mins to burn off soot in filter
2. The oil should be changed with 5W30 having a spec MB229.51 or 229.52 , and reset the maintenance reminder to make wrench go away
3. The fuel tank has a minor leak, probably at the top inlet, replace seal, or don't fill to top, it won't explode if it's diesel.
4. Buy an engine scanner diagnostic tool to see why check engine light is on. https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?forums/205/
Check all maintenance items , air filter etc and ask any questions, or use the search function and enjoy

Last edited:

cuffiesprinter

Looks like a deal.
1. you must drive over 50MPH for 45mins to burn off soot in filter
2. The oil should be changed with 5W30 having a spec MB229.51 or 229.52 , and reset the maintenance reminder to make wrench go away
3. The fuel tank has a minor leak, probably at the top inlet, replace seal, or don't fill to top, it won't explode if it's diesel.
4. Buy an engine scanner diagnostic tool to see why check engine light is on. https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?forums/205/
Check all maintenance items , air filter etc and ask any questions, or use the search function and enjoy
Thanks. "The oil should be changed with 5W30 having a spec MB229.51 or 229.52", are these the exact words I should say to the mechanic? I am going to service it tomorrow (Kwik Fit Full service) in London

WinnieView1

You've received lots of good advice thus far. Give it a good bath as well including the undercarriage and perhaps that will help determine if there are real problem areas.
Perhaps the oil reset reminder was not reset at the last oil change or beyond but it's cheap insurance to just change it now.

tinman

Thanks. "The oil should be changed with 5W30 having a spec MB229.51 or 229.52", are these the exact words I should say to the mechanic? I am going to service it tomorrow (Kwik Fit Full service) in London
You might want to check with the service facility ahead of time to be sure that they have oil of the correct specification. The tech that is actually doing the work may not know or care whether he's using the correct fluid. If you google MB BEVO you can find a list of the approved oils for your vehicle.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Slight contradiction in terms there... Kwik Fit and Service! But you may have better experience.

Ask them what oil they have and what MB BEVO does it meet, it will say on the back of the can. For example I use Castrol Edge 5W30 Long Life (LL) in my T1N and this meets 229.31 and 229.51. Your NCV3 has a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) and MUST only use a Low SAPS oil or the soot produced by the engine will clog the DPF.

Keith.

Top Bottom