HELP NEEDED IN THE UK

Nora

Hi All
Would be great if you could suggest reasons for a problem I have on my Sprinter.
The vehicle is a Hymer Grand Canyon S camper. Based on a 2.1 litre 163 bhp MWB 2020 vehicle (907).
The situation I have is that with the ignition shut down every 5 minutes or so I hear a relay click followed by the electric handbrake warning light on the instrument panel lighting up for a few seconds and then turning off. At the same time the SOS switch in the interior light cluster also glows very slightly.
As it's a camper I notice this issue more as I spend time sitting in the van only to hear this cycle of clicking relay and illuminating light, I can even hear it when in bed at the rear of the van.
The van is 6 months old, due to Covid lockdowns over that period has only covered 1000 miles, because of restrictions I have been unable to have the vehicle inspected at my local dealer and would be most grateful if you could suggest a reason for this.
To clarify this problem does not occur when driving , only when the vehicle cab is shut down with ignition off.
Whilst writing this message the problem has occured 3 times.
I also notice that occasionally the instrument panel illuminates for no reason, no ignition or van control on, comes on and then goes off.
Many thanks, stay safe.??

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
Hi,
1. try opening and closing the driver's door after shutting off the ignition.

2. see
Hiya

Under the screen is the silver volume rocker and two sets of 4 buttons (number dependant on specification) either side of the volume rocker.

Hold in the power button (top right) when the system is on and it will give you two options - Display off or System off.

Choose System off - this won't come back on until you press the power button (top right).

Piha

As I understand it, garages in the UK are able to stay open during Covid restrictions as they are deemed essential services.

Nora

Yes you are correct, it's more my reluctance to travel and mingle, plus didn't particularly want others in the van and pay for it to be sanitised

Nora

I should also point out that only essential travel was allowed, and many Police forces classed repairs to Campers that couldn't be used anyway as non essential.

Nora

Tried RV Barry's tip of opening and closing door, no change.
Even started up vehicle , then turned off ignition, left vehicle and locked.
Came back 10 mins later, entered from driver's door, instruments and park light, interior light illuminated. Instrument and interior lights go out after a few secs, park brake light stays on before going out a few minutes later then immediately comes back on and goes off after 30 secs or so.
Then only to come back on a few minutes later and the cycle starts again of coming on and off every 5 mins or so.?

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
If you lock the vehicle and take the key well away from the vehicle then look in through the window (without having the key in range) does this behaviour still happen? It could be that the the vehicle is sensing the key inside and 'talking' to it every few minutes.

if this works then try putting the key in a Faraday bag inside the vehicle and repeat.

Keith.

Nora

Hi Keith
Thats a bit spooky, i was just checking that.
Locked van from outside and looked through window and it appeared that the light didn't come back on once set.
I'm now sitting in the van and locked the doors with the key.
Previously I'd locked the doors by pressing the drivers door switch. I used this method as when locking from the key it sets the alarm, i can disengage movement sensor however alarm warning light on my system always flashes which is pain hence locking from door.
So it looks like we've fixed it, i need to lock with key.
I will also obtain a faraday case and repeat, when using the van unlocked and alarm not set the light comes on which backs up your theory.

I will also obtain a faraday case and repeat, when using the van unlocked and alarm not set the light comes on which backs up your theory.
Just completely wrap it in a couple layers of aluminum foil. That will shield the signal.

vic

Nora

Tried it again tonight still coming on unfortunately.
My vehicle has an alarm fitted, when locking from key two presses turns off interior motion sensor. Even when doing this a relay clicks and the parking brake illuminates for a few seconds before stating the cycle a few minutes later all over again.
Will try again tomorrow with key wrapped in foil.
Appreciate all the help, its one of those little problems that doesn't seem to effect anything but is really annoying.
May have to take to Mercedes dealer, fills me with dred. Never seam to have much luck with dealers.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
There is another thread discussing the electronic parking brake *releasing* after ten minutes.
Based upon their response, MB here in the US seems to consider this an unexpected "surprise"
(the van is free to roll until it hits the automatic transmission's Parking cawl)

I wonder if your 5 minute cycle is related to that?

Here is the thread that discusses it, including a visit by MB engineers (one of whom was almost run into):

MB has put a "hold" on electronic brake -equipped vans here in the US.

When you're just sitting in the van, do you tap the "gas" pedal? You might be awakening the automatic release.

--dick

Last edited:

Nora

No, this issue happens with all ignition systems turned off and when sitting in the rear of the camper.
The van hasn't been used for a week, if I enter the van, not turning on ignition and sit in the rear even with habitation electrics off the issue continues.
The only other thing I've noticed is just very occasionally when locking I hear the electric parking brake reengaging?.

Piha

No, this issue happens with all ignition systems turned off and when sitting in the rear of the camper.
The van hasn't been used for a week, if I enter the van, not turning on ignition and sit in the rear even with habitation electrics off the issue continues.
The only other thing I've noticed is just very occasionally when locking I hear the electric parking brake reengaging?.
Did you buy your Hymer van from Southdowns Motor Homes?

Nora

Hi , not yet did call in to my local commercial Mercedes dealer who didn't exactly inspire confidence.
Spoke to the service guy who couldn't shed any light on the problem, and the Parts dept who couldn't work out what locking wheel nuts i needed for steel wheels (fitting a rear wheel carrier).
Will book in shortly, due to have lithium batteries fitted next wk, once completed and I'm happy with them will get it sorted.
Have spent a lot of time in the van trying to understand what's causing the issue, as the van hasn't done many miles recently i checked battery volt as i know sometimes low voltage can effect electrics but all good.
I have two theories, possible interference from aftermarket alarm (Autowatch) or possibly being triggered by MBUX system. It may be my imagination but when light comes on i think a can here a fan noise coming from behind the unit?
Its definitely being triggered by some kind of voltage drop, it may be normal but if i turn the interior light on with doors closed it also happens.
Will up date after dealer visit.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
There is a cooling fan behind there, it's tiny. The one they used on the 906 can get really noisy after a few years, so hopefully your 907 one isn't the same part.

I did price a replacement - it's "only" £218.60 ex VAT.

I fixed it by turning the radio on instead.

Last edited:

Nora

The fan noise is very, very quite.
Does it only come on when the radio is on?
I can hear mine with the ignition and radio off.
I will check if the problem with the light occurs with the radio on, i don't tend to listen to the radio unless driving.

Top Bottom