Sprinter battery drain/electrical short?

Sprinterwes

Hi guys. I'm having some interesting issues with my 2006 T1N Sprinter. My warning lights such as the ESP, Traction control, and other lights are coming on and my battery is not charging. When I start the engine and test it with a volt meter it drops from 12.4 to 12.1 volts. It's intermittent because sometimes the lights will go on and off when they do the radio will go out of a second and come back on. The alternator looks pretty new. Got the battery tested and they said it was good. Today I was stuck in park and couldn't move with the engine running but the dash lights were all off and the the windshield wipers were very slow.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
You should see 14.0 volts when the engine is running. It could be that the “new” alternator is not compatible or you could have a bad ground somewhere. Another possibility is damage to the wiring somewhere.

Bobnoxious

For a few dollars more
Grounds grounds grounds!!! Replace chassis to engine ground strap.

• In the real estate business, there’s an old saying about the three most important things that determine the value of a property: location, location, location. In automotive diagnosis, we’ve come to the conclusion that a similar statement should be etched in the mind of everybody who works on cars. What’s crucial here are basics, basics, basics. Taking it one step further into electrical troubleshooting, and you could phrase it grounds, grounds, grounds.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
If your alternator isn't working (and it *could* just be loose battery connections), then all bets are off in terms of "sane" trouble codes.

--dick

Top Bottom