Replace old tires or not?

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
The industry needs a simple rule-of-thumb if it is to have any hope of affecting consumer behavior. But the truth is that the actual lifespan of tires varies vastly by environmental conditions. I grew up in the overcast Northeast driving mostly garaged vehicles. Based on long experience in this environment, I never took time-based tire replacement very seriously. Then we got a vacation home in high, sunny New Mexico, where we keep a car stored outdoors under an awning. It only took a few years (and an actual delamination incident) for me to realize that this is a whole different ball game. Under the stated conditions, six or seven years is at the absolute outer limit of safety.

The truth is that you can and must determine the service limit of your tires by careful inspection. If there is ANY cracking or crazing, replace the tires NOW. Absent such symptoms, watchful waiting is likely safe, possibly for a long time.

The industry needs a simple rule-of-thumb if it is to have any hope of affecting consumer behavior. But the truth is that the actual lifespan of tires varies vastly by environmental conditions. I grew up in the overcast Northeast driving mostly garaged vehicles. Based on long experience in this environment, I never took time-based tire replacement very seriously. Then we got a vacation home in high, sunny New Mexico, where we keep a car stored outdoors under an awning. It only took a few years (and an actual delamination incident) for me to realize that this is a whole different ball game. Under the stated conditions, six or seven years is at the absolute outer limit of safety.

The truth is that you can and must determine the service limit of your tires by careful inspection. If there is ANY cracking or crazing, replace the tires NOW. Absent such symptoms, watchful waiting is likely safe, possibly for a long time.
My experience with tires in the northeast have me thinking as you described.

With the issue of wear out vs age out I question whether spending money for the most expensive tires applies to many owners. That is especially true for RV's, other trucks which are stored for longer periods of time, or low annual miles users. I have read many places that infrequent use of tires is worse for aging vs more frequent use. It has to do with other rubber chemistry, not just UV issues.

Unless someone is convinced that they need some special handling feature provided by a specific tire brand/type, if an owner is on a 4 - 6 year replacement program they get little benefit from extended wear design with the typical resulting higher cost. LT tires have been around a long time. If a tire manufacturer makes the same basic tire, doesn't offer new designs, and doesn't spend money on marketing, they can offer a good serviceable product at less cost. I've seen problems with high end tires and lower end tires. None are 100% problem free.

My Walmart LT E rated tires had good reviews and have worked for me for a year so far. If the plan is 4 - 6 year changeout, a local independent tire store should be able to recommend a suitable inexpensive tire that they carry.

:2cents: vic

Last edited:

Mr. Bills

Raconteur Emeritus
A wise man I recently met in Baja California made this observation about our gasoline and diesel powered toys:

"If you're not putting fuel in it you need to sell it."

I think the corollary for motorhome, RV and trailer tires should be:

"If you're not wearing out your tires before they age out you need to take more trips."

:)

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I think the corollary for motorhome, RV and trailer tires should be:

"If you're not wearing out your tires before they age out you need to take more trips."

:)
Some motorhomes have 22.5 commercial tires with 300,000 miles threads.
Sounds good.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Yes, the old tires were Defender LTX MS2s, and were no longer available. I like the new Crossclimates better so far. They track better, less wander on the road. I have a TPMS system installed and the pressure rise when hot is significantly less. This may just be due to old vs new tires. The old tire pressures went up 15 psi or more when hot. The new ones so far, less than 7 psi. That might be a way to tell that tires are wearing out and that there might be more internal friction and movement of the belts.

Regards,

Mark
If the newer tires are not increasing as much in pressure, then they ballooning more than the older ones. That is, the older tire exhibited more internal pressure cause they were stiffer. :hmmm:

marklg

If the newer tires are not increasing as much in pressure, then they ballooning more than the older ones. That is, the older tire exhibited more internal pressure cause they were stiffer. :hmmm:
The TPMS reads temperature too, and the older tires were heating up more than the newer ones. I attributed that to more motion and rubbing between belts and other materials, causing higher temperatures, and hence, higher pressures.

Regards,

Mark

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
The main reason for tire pressure increase during driving is moisture inside.
That is why nitrogen was used in some applications.
I have designated oilless compressor for tire inflation. I drain the tank often and observe using it in 8% humidity afternoon.
In dump climates car racers spend fortunes on air driers.

BeaSprinterGal

How do you rate road noise with the Agilis tires? How about mileage--any change after mounting the Agilis? I will need 6 tires, so don't want to buy dogs!

marklg

How do you rate road noise with the Agilis tires? How about mileage--any change after mounting the Agilis? I will need 6 tires, so don't want to buy dogs!
I haven't gone far enough for mileage, so can't answer that. The road noise is either the same or quieter. Handling is better, less wandering and tracks straight. Ride comfort is either the same or better. I got Agilis Crossclimates. There are multiple tires with Agilis and Crossclimate in the name but I think only one "Agilis Crossclimate". They are not all the same.

Regards,

Mark

TinManKC

“12 Reyo
Been away from the group for a long time now in my 2010 2500 long and tall NCV3. Good to be back.

My original 2010 Contis lasted only about 30,000 miles and were all replaced with Michelin’s which are in good shape, lotsa tread, and now about 7 years old with 60,000 miles on them.

Question: Should I consider replacing the tires because of their age?
Yes, replace... It would be a real bitch if you had a tire failure due to old tires at this point.
YMMV

TinManKC

“12 Reyo
Yes, the old tires were Defender LTX MS2s, and were no longer available. I like the new Crossclimates better so far. They track better, less wander on the road. I have a TPMS system installed and the pressure rise when hot is significantly less. This may just be due to old vs new tires. The old tire pressures went up 15 psi or more when hot. The new ones so far, less than 7 psi. That might be a way to tell that tires are wearing out and that there might be more internal friction and movement of the belts.

Regards,

Mark
>>>> I have a TPMS system installed
which system did you go with?

marklg

>>>> I have a TPMS system installed
which system did you go with?

I believe you already have Mercedes TPMS sensors in your wheels and an OEM monitoring system installed, so what I did won't apply. I started from nothing. You could add an additional system that attaches to the valve stems. It's a shame the OEM system does not offer pressure and temperature display. It's very useful. If they both go up seriously, it may portend a tire failure.

Regards,

Mark

TinManKC

“12 Reyo

I believe you already have Mercedes TPMS sensors in your wheels and an OEM monitoring system installed, so what I did won't apply. I started from nothing. You could add an additional system that attaches to the valve stems. It's a shame the OEM system does not offer pressure and temperature display. It's very useful. If they both go up seriously, it may portend a tire failure.

Regards,

Mark
Mark - I’m running an 05 T1N, no TPMS installed. Looking for a setup, they seem to be dirt cheap or way expensive, no in between. What did you use on your T1N? Thx!

marklg

Mark - I’m running an 05 T1N, no TPMS installed. Looking for a setup, they seem to be dirt cheap or way expensive, no in between. What did you use on your T1N? Thx!
It's in the message I linked. A have a Huf ID1000 display. I used Huf RDE023V41 high pressure sensors and selected 2016 Ford Transit on the display. I handed the sensors to Costco to install. Any tire shop should be able to do it. You may have to convince them they are high pressure valve stems, appropriate for the vehicle's high pressure tires.

Regards,

Mark

3Play

When I got may van 2 years ago, I put Kelly Edge LT AT 245/R16 116/120 E rated 10 plys on for about $635 installed.
(Largest tire that fits a T1N without cutting fenders)
They had a 60k warranty and I now have about 63k on them and they still have at least 10k left. They have been better than any tire I have ever had,
and I have had a lot of tires over the million+ miles driven...
I just ordered another set online, (Ebay seller) for $768 w/tax, tires have gone up a lot.
They are not identical, they have a 120 load rating and the mileage has been dropped to 50k. I am not sure if they changed
something, or just lowered the warranty. I am not heavy, so that is part of the long life, but these have been amazing, I am not gentle
with vehicles and do a fair amount of desert off road...

marklg

A tire can last about 5 to 7 years. They can last longer with regular maintenance and proper care. Before replacing it you can check if the tire is still serviceable. Replacing your motorcycle tire should be based on tire wear.
I used to think that, but after a blowout on a 5 year old tire, my limit is now 4 years. I live in the Arizona desert, horrible for rubber, hot, dry and lots of UV.

Regards,

Mark

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
I bought a used 1994 vehicle a couple of years ago... drove it home (about 100 miles). After I got home I realized that the tires looked a bit, well, tired. I checked the date code... the tires were manufactured in 1996, or about 23 years earlier. This was in the Pacific Northwest, so the often cloudy and usually damp weather probably played a role in these tires not failing earlier. Despite the reasonable depth of tread on them, I replaced them immediately.

Top Bottom