Need help decoding VIN for 2020 sprinter

jtautry

I've visited ALL the sites, I can get a lot of info except what I need to manually choose the chassis on an Autel MX808. Evidently, no one can decode a 2020 VIN! LastVIN.com gives me the "your car is too new" error. So far the best info is provided here: https://www.mbdecoder.com/decode/W1W4ECVY2LP256840
Any idea how I can get my 6 digit chassis number? Thanks!

Taylor

Afunkymonk

I've visited ALL the sites, I can get a lot of info except what I need to manually choose the chassis on an Autel MX808. Evidently, no one can decode a 2020 VIN! LastVIN.com gives me the "your car is too new" error. So far the best info is provided here: https://www.mbdecoder.com/decode/W1W4ECVY2LP256840

Taylor
Is this what you are looking for: W1W9076451P256840.

JIB

Taylor
Isn't the 6 digit chassis number 256840? I believe that is the sequential build sequence number in the VIN which would seem to jive with a chassis number.

Jack

jtautry

Called a dealer and got it. My chassis is 907.645. There’s no place that can decode the new VINs yet evidently.

jtautry

Isn't the 6 digit chassis number 256840? I believe that is the sequential build sequence number in the VIN which would seem to jive with a chassis number.

Jack
Nope! The new VINs don’t work that way. Which is why my brand new Autel MX808 can’t scan the VIN and only supports up to 2019 models. :(

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
What is the version of the MX808?
They supposedly support VS30 as of the 2019-12 revision.

jtautry

What is the version of the MX808?
They supposedly support VS30 as of the 2019-12 revision.
Version 2.19. The official release notes of the MB download specifically states models up to 2019. So evidently there is a difference between the 2019 and 2020 vans and we can’t just lump them into the VS30 category.

Last edited:

Afunkymonk

Actually, that looks a lot closer to an older VIN, how’d you get that?!
This VIN came from Xentry when I entered the oriiginal VIN W1W4ECVY2LP256840, this is how Mercedes-Benz display it.

For some reason, they change them for the American market.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Actually, that looks a lot closer to an older VIN, how’d you get that?!
That's what's called the "Factory Identification Number "(FIN) or occasionally (old datacards) the VID vehicle ID (not IN).

The "American (and Canada) market" wants other info, so we have a locally-tweaked number.
Among the "other info": is this a Dodge, Freightliner or MB -brand? (especially since people swapped logos)
"Was it sold as a Truck or Passenger vehicle?" etc etc

--dick

jtautry

This VIN came from Xentry when I entered the oriiginal VIN W1W4ECVY2LP256840, this is how Mercedes-Benz display it.

For some reason, they change them for the American market.
I did get a little further by entering that Xentry ID into the MX808. Once I go into the SRS control unit though it still gives me the error.

Top Bottom