Toyo Open Country C/T tires - any experience?

sarl_cagan

2006 118" SHC in Portland, OR
Hello all,

I purchased my Sprinter with studs on it and a set of extra rims. I need some new tires kinda soon!

I haven't found a single post about Toyo Open Country C/T tires on a Sprinter. In fact... comparatively, there isn't a whole lot out there at all. I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with them? HERE is a link to the Toyo website. I'm looking for something durable and semi-aggressive.. but nothing over-the-top. A few reviews say they have great tread life.

I won't be rock crawling or snorkeling... but gravel/dirt roads happen often. These seemed like a good option. I'll be aiming for 225/75/R16 on a 2006 118" van.

Thanks!

Attachments

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I ran them for about 75,000 miles. Replaced them with properly rated street tires and the van handles MUCH better.
I used to pull over several times a year to check for a low tire. Turns would dive making me think it was low, but it wasn't.
I won't go back to Toyo.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
I have them on my 2018 4x4 Revel. So far I like them a lot. Quieter than the stockers (To the point that stuff doesn't rattle like it did).
They handle as well as the stockers on the road, and they work great in snow. I haven't used them much offroad yet.
I put on the standard size, 245/75/16 on the stock steelies.

Mr. Bills

Raconteur Emeritus
My Sprinter had Toyo Open Country R/T tires when I purchased it. They were worn and did not ride well so they were immediately replaced.

I briefly considered the Toyo Open Country A/T III, also the Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx which is a commercial traction tire similar to the Toyo Open County C/T that gave me 40,000+ trouble free on and off road miles on an Xterra. However, in the end I chose the BFG All Terrain T/A KO2, LT265/75R16-E.

I have never been a particular fan of Toyo tires and my brief experience with the Toyo Open County R/T's on my Sprinter did nothing to change my opinion. If I were looking for a commercial traction tire I would put the Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx at the top of the list above the Toyo C/T.

Although the Cooper ST/Maxx was at the top of my list for a while, one of the reasons that tipped the scales in favor of BFG over Cooper this time around is that I plan to spend considerable time in Baja with the Sprinter and noted on my last extended trip there that BFG tires are available everywhere in Baja, Coopers not so much. That may never become important to me, but it might.

hoosierrun

Using the Toyo Open Country H/T's on my 2016 Sprinter 3500 motor home. Tires are wearing good and I have had no problems. I have about 31,000 on them.

sarl_cagan

Hello everyone! Thanks for all the input. @ECU, was that 75k all on one set?! And can you expand on the "properly rated" part? I could be misinformed but I think the goal was to find an "E" rated tire. I also think the Open Country C/T's fit that bill. I can always learn more though. Also, hello from the other side of town!

@4wheeldog , thanks for the report! Good to know.

@hoosierrun and @Mr. Bills , thank you too! Good to know about Toyo stuff in general (R/T and H/T). I did look at the ST/Maxx but the look may be a tad too aggressive for me. BFG commercial traction was also on the list of curiosities.

Because there isn't that much out there on the C/T version, I'm hoping to hear from folks who have experience with that version.

Thanks again

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Right, E rating. I got two sets over the years. I believe the Toyos are only C rated but have the weight rating.
I found that I needed 50 psi to keep the front corners to stop diving on turns. But they are only rated to 40 psi. Mercedes likes to see even more tire pressure than that.
I'm riding on Mastercraft Courser LTR that I picked up used a while back from a guy on your side of town. More stable ride.

sarl_cagan

Ah! Mystery solved. Heading to Hillsboro tomorrow for errands. I’ll keep an eye open for a tiny sprinter. :cheers:

• Thanks
Reactions: ECU

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
Right, E rating. I got two sets over the years. I believe the Toyos are only C rated but have the weight rating.
I found that I needed 50 psi to keep the front corners to stop diving on turns. But they are only rated to 40 psi. Mercedes likes to see even more tire pressure than that.
I'm riding on Mastercraft Courser LTR that I picked up used a while back from a guy on your side of town. More stable ride.
Mine are definitely E rated. And I have the AT Cross Terrain IIIs. Which are rated with the triple peak snowflake snow rating.
If yours were C rated, that could account for your less than ideal experience.

sarl_cagan

And I thought there wasn't much out there on the Toyo Open Country C/T's... there is verrrrry little out there on the BF Goodrich Commercial T/A Traction tires. I found one or two YouTube videos.. and a handful of standard reviews... but nothing in depth.

Any real-life experience with these?

Note: Not to be confusing or overly particular, but there are a handful of similar named tires. The Commercial T/A and the Traction T/A. I'm not so much interested in those. I'm looking for opinions on the Commercial T/A Traction. (Sheesh BFG... your naming conventions could use some work!)

Thanks again!

Top Bottom