Headlamp adjustment, US way versus German way

Sprinter SS

Thats classic..

Larry M

Wow! What happen to adjusting your headlights against a white wall with a couple of Xs?

ECU

For one thing. Half of the first guys video was measuring the floor slope. The second video has that as a given.
But I'd have to say that the second one was closer to the vehicle inspections in Florida of the 1960s.

lindenengineering

Wow! What happen to adjusting your headlights against a white wall with a couple of Xs?
Cos its not the German way AND in the UK its part of the MOT test for certification .
Funny because here in the US you have all sorts of "custom" headlamp operations from wig wag high low dips and" one eye'd jacks me hearties"
Love it!!! :devilish:
Dennis

Kajtek1

2015 long/tall limo RV 2.1l
Is any US state checking the headlights adjustement?
California is checking smog and tire pressure on biannual inspections, but never headlights aim.
I even went via series of inspection on totaled car and no headlight aim check.

ECU

You can tell the answer is no by driving at night.
I tested mine by driving at night. Keep adjusting up until people start honking. (joke)

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
Is any US state checking the headlights adjustement?
I hadn't thought about it. At one time it was definitely required in New York State for the annual safety/emissions inspection. I don't believe headlight adjustment is included anymore in NYS.

:cheers: vic

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Optical headlights patterns of EU and NA sealed beams were very different, the ancient rule of 15% light on low beam had to illuminate overhead signs, so the need of properly aligned headlight wasn’t as critical in NA as it was in EU. Low beam in EU had no 15% rule, all light was directed downwards and misaligned were very problematic.

Whenever I could I always use EU headlights. Once you get used to EU pattern it is difficult to switch.

Unfortunately, the new European advanced headlamps technology is not coming to our shores, Canadians will enjoy it.

“2 Regulatory limitations to allowing advanced headlamp systems in the U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) developed by NHTSA specify technical requirements for all vehicles sold in the United States. Automotive headlamps are regulated by FMVSS 108. This regulation clearly defines headlamp performance, installed position, luminescence, considerations for glare, and aiming for both low beams and high beams. Although FMVSS 108 does not specifically address or prohibit the use of ADB lighting systems, certain technical requirements have been interpreted to rule out their use. Two relevant sections of FMVSS 108: • §9.4: Low and high beam headlight beams cannot be energized at the same time. This is a fundamental obstacle to allowing ADB headlamp systems in the U.S. • §6.1.5.2.1 to §6.1.5.2.3: These sections detail scenarios where high and low beams are allowed to be used simultaneously, but they do not include the basic function of ADB systems. FMVSS 108 also outlines detailed photometric requirements for both low and high beams. ADB headlamps use a combination of low and high beams at the same time, and deactivate the lights in specific areas to prevent glare. Unfortunately, this dynamic lighting control makes ADB headlamps unable to meet all of the requirements specified in the FMVSS standard. 2.1 Canadian Regulatory Requirements Canadian regulations for vehicle headlamps (CMVSS - Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) are very similar to those in the U.S. However, CMVSS 108, the Canadian counterpart to FMVSS 108, was amended in March 2018 to permit the use of European-style headlamps equipped with ADB capability (Canada, 2018). The regulation states that headlamps may be used, provided they comply with either the requirements detailed in the relevant United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE)1 headlamp regulations as described below or the ADB test procedure described by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Recommended Practice J3069 201606.”

Kajtek1

2015 long/tall limo RV 2.1l
I think the main issue with modern technology headlights is high output LED and Xenon bulbs deliver, what require not only precise adjustments, but also pairing with vehicle leveling system in lot of applications.
We can't find good mechanic for diesel engines, so imagine who can work on that stuff?

Top Bottom