Transfer Case software update FYI

Eric B

Hi all

Just got my van back from the dealership where it had been for the past 2 weeks.
Some lowlife threw something off of a local overpass as I was coming home one night and cracked my windshield ... but that's another story ...
Still though TWO WEEKS to get a piece of glass delivered to dealer and installed is mighty long ...

Anyways, I asked them to also do the existing Loctite 648 remedy for the driveshaft clunk (LI28.00-N-063339) while they had the van, as it had been getting worse.

With everything buttoned back up, tech took it for a test drive, and in the notes stated he was unable to engage 4wd... weird

For the record, I have NEVER had an issue engaging 4wd in the 22'000miles since new either in sand or in snow...

Service notes state tech ran some diagnostic tests, and found: "Unfavorable Position of Transfer Case Absolute Sensor (B57)"
He then located service instructions LI28.19-N-071366
Checked for relevant faults in the All Wheel Drive Control Unit and found none
But did notice that the transfer case software (907 902 71 03) was not up to date
So he updated it to 907 902 90 03
Then confirmed on a subsequent test drive that he was able to engage 4WD

I'd never heard of this before
Posting it up in case in can help someone else who might be having transfer case woes...
But like I said, I never had an issue before engaging and disengaging 4WD
Maybe the first time it happened is when the tech was test driving it

65C02

Mine was built Nov 2019 - I've not had any problems but I'll ask next time its in for service
Will also check if there is a report the dealer can run - listing which modules are out of date. such as 4ETS etc.

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
Hi, I've seen multiple people reporting a software update for the TC, but thanks for posting all the codes as I haven't seen them elsewhere.

Flatiron99

We actually had a cracked windshield as well. Our insurance is with USAA and they use Safelite. We insisted on OEM glass and that took an extra 4 weeks to deliver to the local Safelite location. Then after the install, Satellite wanted another $350 to calibrate the camera. I called our local Mercedes dealer and they agreed to do it for $90 and replace the inspection sticker as well for an extra $9. Very reasonable for a Mercedes Dealer.

Eric B

No offense to Safelite &
@Flatiron99 but that’s why I refused the Safelite offer from my insurance carrier (Liberty Mutual) and went straight to my local dealer... I guess 2 weeks is better than 4 ...

I’ve got a $1000 deductible on my van and my out the door at the dealer was $1250. I didn’t bother filing a claim to get $250 back from the insurance company because it would have taken weeks of back and forth...

Last edited:

Flatiron99

Thats great advice for everyone since I hear that windshield cracks are common. Our windshield specific deductible was $250 with USAA so that is all we paid. I would have put up a harder fight to go to the Mercedes dealer if I had done more research from the start but was happy that I did get the OEM glass installed. Next time....
And sorry but I somehow dropped this windshield post in the Transfer Case thread. Must have been happy hour...

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
Just had my windshield replaced by a local glass shop. They had the new windshield in two days. My windshield had all the extras including collision features and the entire windshield is heated. I was surprised at cost after hearing others spend $1500. My windshield was $275. Install labor and materials added another $250. Total cost of $500+. They refused to calibrate the new windshield because the van was not stock height. Huhhhh? I promised to have it calibrated but a quick road test proved everything worked as expected so I saved the calibration cost. I had read that the calibration is not always needed.

TrailTaxi

Our 2019 was sometimes a PITA to get out of 4X4 but the SW update fixed it 90% of the time -- unless the drive train is bound up -- side hill loading, wheels turned hard over etc. it works great. If it is "bound up" a slight movement will solve the issue.

sc45738

Throwing my hat into this ring as well - 2020 4x4 randomly lighting up with 4x4 and then not disengaging and grinding as well.

The first time it engaged in 4x4 on its own it took a few times but I was able to disengage after some time. About a month later it engaged on its own again and this time went to Low Range as well. I couldn't get it out and took it to the MB dealer (Mercedes Benz of Draper - Utah). They replaced the transfer case sensor (I don't have that paperwork to post here at the moment).

Four months later, the 4x4 light came back on and as I went to turn the van around there was a terrible grinding noise. Took it to the dealership (Mercedes Benz of Laguna Niguel - CA). The image below is for the software updates they did.

Unfortunately, two days after this update I had it engage once more, but this time as I was slowly moving to head back to the dealership the clunk came and this time the check engine, 4x4 and low range lights all came on and the van went to limp mode. I called to get it towed back to Mercedez Benz of Laguna Niguel where it is about 4 days later still. Waiting on the update from service dept now.

tldr: 3 times where 4x4 and/or low range engages on its own and gets stuck with grinding

Attachments

Throwing my hat into this ring as well - 2020 4x4 randomly lighting up with 4x4 and then not disengaging and grinding as well.

The first time it engaged in 4x4 on its own it took a few times but I was able to disengage after some time. About a month later it engaged on its own again and this time went to Low Range as well. I couldn't get it out and took it to the MB dealer (Mercedes Benz of Draper - Utah). They replaced the transfer case sensor (I don't have that paperwork to post here at the moment).

Four months later, the 4x4 light came back on and as I went to turn the van around there was a terrible grinding noise. Took it to the dealership (Mercedes Benz of Laguna Niguel - CA). The image below is for the software updates they did.

Unfortunately, two days after this update I had it engage once more, but this time as I was slowly moving to head back to the dealership the clunk came and this time the check engine, 4x4 and low range lights all came on and the van went to limp mode. I called to get it towed back to Mercedez Benz of Laguna Niguel where it is about 4 days later still. Waiting on the update from service dept now.

tldr: 3 times where 4x4 and/or low range engages on its own and gets stuck with grinding
Any update?

travelator

Yes - ended up getting the entire transfer case and system replaced. I was unfortunately one of the few for which the software update and even a new board did not help. It took a couple of weeks for parts from Germany but I've been running about 2 months without issue.
Glad you got that sorted out!

I've had the same exact problem with my 2020 4x4 Sprinter (316, 4 cyl, manual transmission. Bought in Spain, made in Germany).

I thought it was an isolated issue with my specific unit. Not sure whether it's encouraging or discouraging to find out I'm not alone (?‍♂), but great to know that changing the t-case solved the issue. ?

In my case 4WD was also engaging on its own, causing a terrible clunking and grinding noise and clear mechanical resistance from what I assumed was the transfer case (if left on a hill in neutral, with no brakes applied, it wouldn't roll).

The first time this happened was at the 3,700 mile mark. Got towed to a MB dealer where it failed to reproduce the issue. T-case software was updated; the update mentioned that it corrected an under-current issue with the t-case servomotor and the technician mentioned it also corrected an issue with 4WD engaging on its own. No mechanical inspection was performed.

Second time was at 6k miles. MB dealer (a different one, I was 2k miles from home) said it was a wire for the t-case hanging over the gearbox which was rubbing and possibly causing the issue. I'm guessing they didn't get any fault codes and couldn't be bothered to do any digging so they just brushed me off.

The third time, at 8600 miles (yet another dealer), diagnostics revealed an issue with the t-case turning angle sensor. The part was ordered, arrived the next day and was changed. They said they hoped this would fix the issue but couldn't guarantee it since (I quote) "it's a very new van and there are no instances of anything similar in MB databases". No mechanical inspection performed either.

It's been 1,200 miles and it hasn't happened again BUT the t-case is showing signs that something isn't quite right. When I let go of the clutch and start moving forward in 1st gear after engaging 4WD I hear a loud clunk (accompanied by a far from subtle vibration), very similar to the one that happened when 4WD was engaging on its own. There's no mechanical resistance, just a clunk, when pulling away (and only then). If I put it in low range, on the other hand, it's worse (I assume because of the added torque) and does it every couple of seconds when driving at very low speed. It stops doing it above 10 mph and only does it in 1st gear. It also clunks loudly when climbing steep hills or going down steep inclines (engine braking).

I've been assuming it was a bent or damaged tooth in the t-case caused by the first couple of "4WD self-engaging incidents" but seeing you also got the t-case software updated and the turning angle sensor changed and neither solved the problem... Maybe a) I haven't seen the last of this 4WD self-engaging business and b) Maybe what I'm experiencing isn't from damage to the t-case but rather some t-cases are defective from the factory...?‍♂

I'll take it to my dealer when I get back to Spain (I'm in the middle of a road trip through Europe) and insist that they change the transfer case, as I'm not too confident about trying to explain the issue in a country where I don't speak the language, and for now I can get by with 2WD.

Your post was a relief because my experience with this van so far hasn't been great, and I've been kind of bummed out by the fact I have to refrain from straying too far from the beaten track because I don't feel I can trust the van at this point, especially somewhere where a tow truck can't get to...

Hopefully my dealer will replace the t-case without a fuss but at this point, and based on my experience with MB thus far, I'm not too confident that's something I can count on...

I'm really looking forward to having all these issues "ironed out" so I can finally start enjoying my off-road campervan the way I imagined before buying it, without having to worry about it spontaneously failing on me in the middle of nowhere ?‍♂

Fingers crossed...?

And I apologize for the rant. I just really didn't expect to be running into this kind of issues with a $70k van and have been cursing MB for months. ?

I just had the LOW RANGE light come on at start up and am afraid to put the rig in gear. I had issues with transfer case on my first trip last winter no 4wd even though the light was on. I will dig up the paperwork and see what they replaced. I was searching for a reset on the forum and stumbled across this. I will circle back with specifics from the receipts and repairs.

I have had 4wd and Low Range engage on their own as well. No grinding or noticeable mechanical issues with it, just starting it up to find the 4wd light on. When Trying to get out of 4wd, it wouldn't let me because Low range was engaged. Disengaged low, then 4wd and all seemed to be well. Happened twice so far.

Dealer says, “Your case as been upgrade to Daimler direct control in Germany. That is the update we received about 30 minutes ago. I honestly don't know where it will go from here...
Daimler AG is Germany only. The engineering team in the USA basically doesn't know what to do. So Germany is taking over.”

Fingers crossed. I am really happy they are not turning it back over to me and shrugging their shoulders.

Top Bottom