Right indicator blows fuse for wiper motor...

robwhittey

Recent MOT failed due to hazard lights, all direction indicators and windshield wiper not working. Sure enough, fuse blown for both indicators and wiper motor (No. 6 and 9 on FB1). New fuses in, I checked the wipers and left indicator and they are worked fine. BUT, Right indicator blows fuse for wiper motor and hazards blow fuse for indicators. After putting in a bigger fuse for the wiper motor (25A instead of 20A), Right indication doesn't work for the rear and every now and then, flashes at double time, brighter.
I have begun the search for the faulty wire(s). stripped the dash, looking for faults and coming back empty handed. Am I right in thinking that the problem is the indicator wire for the rear is coming into contact with the wiper motor circuit? For instance, a bare indicator wire in the rear that comes into contact with the van body should not blow the fuse for the wipers, right?
This is a converted van and I am not keen on removing the cladding that I have put over the wiring to the back. Any guidance will be very much appreciated!

Thank you

Rob

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I would wonder about the multi-function switch ... it's a pile of plastic and metal bits that bring those gadgets (too close?) together.

You don't mention your model year, but the wipers and lights in the US models should apply to yours, too.
Latest T1N service manual, schematics are section 8W: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2006-VA-SM.pdf

The attached file is the turn (and hazards) signal section from top to bottom...
(with this required correction:

8w-50-4 TurnSigsAsFound.png

--dick

Attachments

robwhittey

I would wonder about the multi-function switch ... it's a pile of plastic and metal bits that bring those gadgets (too close?) together.

You don't mention your model year, but the wipers and lights in the US models should apply to yours, too.
Latest T1N service manual, schematics are section 8W: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2006-VA-SM.pdf

The attached file is the turn (and hazards) signal section from top to bottom...
(with this required correction:

View attachment 177556

--dick
I should have mentioned that I put in a cheap replacement column switch to test it and it has the same results. Year of van is 2002 411 CDI

Last edited:

Oilburner

2004 2500 140"cargo l/r x 2
I had similar problem, turned out, that rear door "check" was touching wire inside the cavity. Open the rear doors and look with flashlight if there are no wires shorted.

Pull the electrical connectors from both rear light assemblies. If the symptoms change you may have a rear light unit problem.

It is probably unlikely being that the wipers seem to be involved, but it's an easy enough test to do.

:2cents: vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
There's always the possibility of rodent-chewed wires allowing circuit-to-circuit cross-overs.

But if your inspection of the rear door circuits seemed to affect things (swapped sides), i'd get back there again (how could the wipers be involved??) and look for stuff like a poor ground connection.

--dick

Top Bottom