Planning the upcoming year long XC trip

haukan

Hey all,
New to the forums but looking forward to learning more!

Pandemic year has been crazy to say the least however one silver lining for my world is that my work has officially gone fully remote to the point where I can work wherever I have internet service (in the US technically/legally). I'm in my mid 20's and have no other obligations and incredibly fortunately my parents have an 05 sprinter with a RoadTrek buildout (with just over 80k) they're willing to lend me. I've decided/realized that this is too good an opportunity to pass up so I'm going to hit the road and see the country/sites/friends and family for a year or so if all goes according to plan!

I'm sure I'll have more specific questions as we move along but general things that have been on my mind;
  • Has anybody else done anything similar i.e. worked on the road for an extended period of time? If so what did you find helpful?
  • What would you recommend doing to prep for an extended trip (apart from making sure the van is all set and everything is running as it should)
  • What internet have you had success with?
    • Satellite looks pretty darn expensive although it would be amazing to have internet anywhere I roam.
    • Thinking my best bet at this point is going to be a verizon hotspot + a cell booster which I've heard good things about
    • Which places have the best wifi you can mooch off of?
  • What resources would you recommend checking out in terms of places to stay? Recently stumbled upon harvest friends
  • How in a pre-COVID (and hopefully post) world how'd you go about meeting new people where you were going as to not get super lonely?
Goals are to spend a lot of time in the out of doors and see a bunch of national parks and places I wouldn't otherwise take the time to see or have thought to go for example Arkansas. Will probably have my decade old hard tail stumpjumper with me or newer trail bike when I'm in the areas that would lend themselves to the gnarlier single track riding i.e. the states west of and including CO.

Less ideally I'll be running a 2wd set up w/ not much in terms of winterization, not at all to complain but it means I'll probably stay in more temperate climates/with friends and family during the middle of winter and not too far off the beaten path.

I'm familiar with audi forums, you all seem much more chill than those folk right off the bat but if there are other resources I should be looking at before pestering y'all feel free to let me know!

Much thanks

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
Hi, you won't get cell data in some (many?) national parks, including Yosemite.

Plan to get Starlink as soon as they support mobile use. As of this week, you can now change your location at will, but they don't have full coverage yet.

Gear:

Top Bottom