Ex Ambulance Transmission Fluid.

Weaver123

Hi New to the forum. I have an ex Ambo Sprinter
VIN WDF 903 6622A 9*****
Auto (R 901 271 00 01)
My issue is with the transmission and need advice.
My cruise control failed while highway cruising.
I stopped and switched off.
On restart the van won’t change up through the gears at all. I limped home at 30kmh.
On cool down 4hrs later van changed through gears to 60kmh ok but obviously box was slipping on initial take off forward and reverse.
Now I have the van On car stands I can see clean drip transmission fluid leak.
I thought I might change the fluid as a first step to a resolution. Is this the right thinking?
I have purchased a Meyle filter gasket kit 014 027 2102 MHK0005 and Pentrote Multivehicle fully synthetic ATF BMV fluid.
I hesitate to change the fluid because ...
Is it the correct Meyle kit?
I cannot get a definitive answer on the correct fluid amount - can I pour in in the non existent dipstick channel?
Do I need to and Can I drain and refill the torque converter as I’ve heard mention of?
Does Anyone with first hand experience and knowledge have some advice for me. I am just North of Brisbane and have three days until I need the van for work again.

Weaver123

Hi - New here and need some transmission fluid/parts advice.
I am just North of Brisbane & have an ex Ambo Sprinter as a work vehicle.
The issue manifested thus;
My cruise control failed while highway cruising.
I stopped and switched off.
On restart the van wouldn't change up through the gears at all. I limped home at 30kmh for an hour and a half.
On cool down 4hrs later van changed through gears to 60kmh ok but obviously the transmission is slipping badly on initial take off forward or reverse. I assumed it is a fluid issue as now I have the van on car stands I can see a clean very slow drip transmission fluid leak.

The vehicle is
VIN WDF 903 6622A 9*****
Automatic Transmission no - R 901 271 00 01

As I don't have a dipstick to top up accurately if I just tighten the pan I thought I might change the fluid as a first step to a resolution.
Is this the right thinking?
After purchasing a Meyle filter gasket kit 014 027 2102 MHK0005 and
Penrite Multi-vehicle fully synthetic ATF BMV fluid,
My issues are -
I hesitate to change the fluid just yet because ...
The Supercheap & Repco staff seemed totally confused about what they were about to sell me and I have not been able to get any good advice phoning around locally.
My questions -
What IS the correct Fluid?
What IS the correct amount?
Can I pour in in the non existent dipstick channel?
Is my Meyle kit correct?
Do I need to, and can I drain and refill the torque converter as I’ve heard mention of?
Where is that TC bung?
Does anyone with first hand experience and knowledge have some advice for me or know who I can call here?
I have three days until I need the van for work again.
I'm not in love with doing the work myself and would happily pay for a reliable fix/assistance.
Thanks
Paul

Last edited:

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
Agree. You need to fix the leak. The "bushing" kit for the electrical connector is reasonably priced at the dealer. It will stop ATF wicking up into the TCU under the drivers seat, where it causes havoc. Clean the TCU with electircal contact cleaner if thats whats happened.

Yes there is a torque converter drain plug as well. Should get about 7 to 8 litres out of that and the pan combined.

Yes you need a small funnel and fill through the dipstick tube. Dipstick can be bought off eBay. Must be at 80 deg when filling for the correct level.

How much did you pay for that ATF? I always use Fuchs Titan 4134 that you can buy locally at Bursons for about $15/l. Its the easiest to find officially MB approved fluid here in Oz.

That filter kit looks ok, 722.6 filters are pretty much all the same.

Last edited:

Weaver123

Thanks for the info - that's another bit of the vehicle I know a bit more about now.
I thought I'd post a quick update. I got it dissembled and drained no worries with no damaged bolts or tools.
That Meyle filter is a loose fit compared to the MB genuine.
I did find a few larger bit's attached to a very very furry magnet so will give her a much larger injection of cash and I expect to pick up a fully recovered patient in a week or so. It was nice to spend a bit of time on the dirt under there dodging showers of rain.

Attachments

Eric Experience

Paul.
Yes that is the remains of a sprag clutch, I hope the person rebuilding your unit has good Sprinter experience. Eric

gs850gx

Had the same floaties in my transmission and injection of cash worked. Remanufactured transmission in my case. Interestingly transmission worked pretty good with the floaties, but would drop into limp from time to time. Went to do a fluid change and knew it was cooked.

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
Those metal floaties will stick to the magnetic speed sensors and cause limp mode. I had the same on my 722.6 in my ML270. Had to swap it out with a good used one.

How big are those roller bearings? if they are tiny, like 4mm long then they are likely from the thrust bearing, which is a "Hard part" which makes a rebuild very expensive. If they are bigger then its a sprag like Eric said, thats not a hard part so rebuild is cheaper.

Top Bottom