Anyone replaced front struts with bilstein b6?

rafski

Can the front shocks be installed with a simple swap, like the rear ones? Or do you need to install a whole new bracket for them?

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Can the front shocks be installed with a simple swap, like the rear ones? Or do you need to install a whole new bracket for them?
If you mean the front struts, it’s quite a bit more involved, which is why I haven’t got around to installing the B6‘s sitting in my garage yet. Alignment needed after as well.

bazar01

2008 Dodge Sprinter 2500 170 extended
I replaced my 2008 2wd front struts with Bilstein B6 and top mounts without needing an alignment.
You have to get suspension measurements using the top of brake rotor position relative to the frame rail (x) and fender lip (y) before disassembly to preserve the alignment with the steering wheel straight. I reused the strut bolts but if you get a pair of eccentric camber bolts it will be much easier to duplicate the measurements. It's been 18k miles and still tracks straight and tires wear even.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
I’m also thinking it might be a good idea to replace the upper mounts at the same time, since I’ve seen video and reports of the mounts failing.

Albush1

Hello, I just installed the B6 struts in my 2020 4x4 2500 and used a bubble balance and was able to get it in spec. My Sprinter has 11k miles on it and using the assumption that the alignment was in spec before disassembly , I used the same degree camber on the new struts. I brought it in for an alignment and it didn’t need it. Was a relatively simple job, took only 1 hour for both sides from pulling into the driveway to taking it for a test drive using a floor Jack, axle stands, a 20V Dewalt 1/2 impact gun and 12V Milwaukee 3/8 ratchet. Used the following: 1/2 drive sockets - 24mm, 19mm, 21mm and a 21mm wrench. 3/8 drive socket : 13mm. Also a Torx for the floor trim, T20 I believe It was to help give access to the upper strut mount bolts. I use Bilstein on all my cars that they make them for, the best bang for the buck out there for shocks/struts IMO. Drives a lot better now! Here’s a pic of the bubble balance that I used…
1677579901630.jpeg

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Hello, I just installed the B6 struts in my 2020 4x4 2500 and used a bubble balance and was able to get it in spec. My Sprinter has 11k miles on it and using the assumption that the alignment was in spec before disassembly , I used the same degree camber on the new struts. I brought it in for an alignment and it didn’t need it. Was a relatively simple job, took only 1 hour for both sides from pulling into the driveway to taking it for a test drive using a floor Jack, axle stands, a 20V Dewalt 1/2 impact gun and 12V Milwaukee 3/8 ratchet. Used the following: 1/2 drive sockets - 24mm, 19mm, 21mm and a 21mm wrench. 3/8 drive socket : 13mm. Also a Torx for the floor trim, T20 I believe It was to help give access to the upper strut mount bolts. I use Bilstein on all my cars that they make them for, the best bang for the buck out there for shocks/struts IMO. Drives a lot better now! Here’s a pic of the bubble balance that I used…
View attachment 249953
Thanks for posting this and listing the tools needed. Impressive that you did it all in 1hr. ????
Happen to have a link to that bubble balance tool?

Last edited:

bazar01

2008 Dodge Sprinter 2500 170 extended
It's important that the bubble level reading must be at the same control arm vertical position before removal and after the new strut install to preserve the alignment because the rotor surface camber changes with suspension travel.

Top Bottom