outside temp not working

Drew.eight

Hi all,
I have a 2005 cargo with 325,000 miles. When I hit the button to switch from time to temp, my temp shows 3 dashes ---. I'm also getting code U0423, U0423 Invalid Data Received From Instrument Panel Control Mod. Would this be a problem with the cluster or do I need a new temp sensor?? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Drew

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Check the connection behind the front license plate first. While you're there, check the resistant value.

Drew.eight

Hey Sikwan,

I'm not the best with electrical stuff...I do have a multi tester, and according to the instructions the sensor has a resistance of 6000 ohms. The connection looked good and I sprayed it with electrical contact cleaner, but still does not work. Would anyone have a part number for this sensor in case I need to get one.
Thanks,

Drew

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I attached the part number for the sensor. #3 is the one I believe.

Before you run out and buy a sensor, attach it to the multimeter, put a hair dryer on it, and see if the value changes. If so, I would check the wiring that goes back into the cab. There might be an open. I believe it goes straight back behind the gauge cluster (I haven't checked).

Check the schematic in the service manual, and if it's a straight connection from the bumper to the gauge cluster, then disengage the connector at the cluster, short the terminal at the sensor (sensor remove), and see if you can measure a short that you just created in the line.

Attachments

Drew.eight

Well, it's not the sensor (new sensor). About a 2 years ago my condenser fan quit working and the dealer said the wire must have shorted. So, they ran another wire from the firewall and fixed it. I'm guessing that it has now worked it's way through the temp wires. Should I just find the wire at the firewall or from behind the cluster? Does anyone know if there is a spot on the harness where these tend to rub??
Thanks,
Drew

Last edited:

Drew.eight

Ran 2 new wires from the firewall to the sensor, and I took the cluster out and checked all the connections. Temp still does not work and now the SRS light is on:yell: Unless someone has anything else for me to try, it's going to the dealer... yeah!

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Why did you run two wires?

Anyways, looking at the schematic...Blue/DarkGreen & Brown/DarkGreen are the wire colors to check.
ic.JPG

1. Unplug both ends of the wires; temperature sensor and instrument cluster.
  2. Pick an end, doesn't matter which, and measure (DC volt setting) Blue/DarkGreen to Chassis GND and Brown/DarkGreen to Chassis GND. You should measure Zero. This is to check a short to 12V or any voltage value.
  3. Pick an end, doesn't matter which, but this time set the meter to ohms (Omega setting) and measure the wires to Chassis GND. You should measure OL (Open Loop) and not zero. The is to check if any of the wires are shorted to GND.
Did you do the above 1-3 excercise already?

As for the SRS, did you disconnect something and turn the key to ON? If the SRS light is on, you really have no choice but to take it to the dealer to have it reset.

Drew.eight

Finally got time and someone good with electrical problems. It ended up being a break in one of the wires. Thanks to SIKWAN for the diagram and help.... now, how much do you think is fair to pay the dealer to reset the SRS.
Thanks,
Drew

renchr56

Then what would it be if there is no short in the wiring. I have the same problem. I did all of those procedures and it came out as should be so I replaced the sensor and still have the problem. I did notice that when the door is closed and the instrument cluster light goes out and I open the door back up the temp displays but only for a second then goes back to ---

hillis24

Chattanooga, TN
I have done all the checks (1-3) and my SRS lights are on.

Took it to the dealership for a fuel pump and when I got the van back the U0423 and SRS were there, and the fuel gauge reads wrong (3/4 on gauge is full and low fuel light comes on at half tank). They told me to bring it back and they would do another ticket and find the problem, but it would not be a free fix. When I took the cluster out I noticed that the cam lock on the white plug had been broken off and only one side of the cam is there with just enough of the arm part to lock the plug into the cluster.

I have driven the van 42k miles with it like this.

Now I am driving with expired tag because emission will not give me pass due to code.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
When you picked up the vehicle y ou should've mentioned it before leaving the dealership. You have to no choice, but to return as they have the means to reset the SRS.

Unless you have someone close by that is willing to reset it with their DAD unit. You could have a bad cluster, but you need to fix things one at a time.

hillis24

Chattanooga, TN
UPDATE: (still driving the van with P0423 and srs tc lights ons) I finally found someone in my area that knows a thing about sprinters. He scanned it and this is the report he printed for me.

2359 boost pressure/possible boost leaks
1482 glow plug module incorrect timer/possible gp module
2822 fail to start
5193 brake pressure sensor circuit
5515 CAN communication error
55f5 partimetrization error
567d same as 55f5
will need to be left for research on ABS codes

I could not see any of these codes with me pocket scanner.
I will be checking all the hoses and connections for leaks.
I have already checked the glow plug fuse block and also ohmed the glow plugs. 1 plug is very near the limit range.

Any suggestions on the 5515 can comm code?

This is the estimate for labor I was given.
DIAGNOSTICS FOR LEAKS AND OR LOSS OF PRESSURE $168.75
DIAGNOSTICS FOR ABS BRAKES $168.75
CHECK GLOW PLUGS AND WIRING / REPLACE AS NEEDED $168.75

knockarama

Hey, Hills
I have some of the same issues as y'all. Glow plug, ambient air, brake lights all coming on. The beast runs like a champ.
I unwittingly had plugs replaced �� though..... Still get code.

I have added information that can maybe help.

I'm not sure how to present this information so I'll tell a short story.

I had the emissions flash done. This cuased the check engine light to come on. They wanted to change ecu. Ecu was checked and it is good. Monitors stay open. Mechanic found short.(I Ned to find out which wire was shorted)When fixed he says the monitor closed and the air sensor code went away. I drove ~80 mile without those codess. Took to a smog place he plugged his omb2 reader in then stated the vehicle..... and all the codes popped back up upon start... Days later. Now while driving the U0423 pops up I clear it... It comes back. I also am driving on expired tags due to this issue. Any help would be great. My mechanics out here don't seem to want anything to do with this problem.

Last edited:

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Is a plausible ambient temp displayed on the instrument cluster?
Does it change when you hit it with a hair dryer or an ice cube?

U0423 is a communication error between the instrument cluster (IC) and the engine module, so if the ambient temperature is displayed (IC knows the value to send) I would confirm that the canbus plug on the cluster is properly seated, BUT: The IC pulls the selected gear from the canbus, so if the gear is displaying and updating the canbus signal is not likely to be the problem... in that case it’s more likely that the Ambient Air Temp value is implausible and confusing the ECM enough to store the fault code.

-dave

Top Bottom