2003 T1N Rebuild

wannasurf

Hi I've got a T1N low range 4x4 2.7 L that has a seized engine with 180,000 on the clock. I was going to get it rebuilt for around $10,000 but the guy stuffed me around. There is a 2nd hand engine on Ebay 288,000ks for $3,650 I'm considering going that route but by the time I've paid for install and freight (presuming around $2000)? Im close to the cost of the build. I had an offer of $35,000 but the guy wanted an auto. Anyone know of someone in South Oz that would rebuild it? regards phill

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
Auto 4x4 T1Ns don't actually exist AFAIK. Only manual and occasionally SprintShift have ever been seen in the wild, and you don't want SprintShift.

For that price difference a proper rebuild sounds like the best option. The 5cyl is usually bulltproof, do you know what happened to yours?

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
@wannasurf Phill, did you ever get it running again after cleaning out your black death last year? And if so what did you do with your dismantled injectors, did you get certified rebuilds or...?

I also notice your mileage has dropped 10,000 km in the last year, have you been fiddling with the odometer :laughing:

Keith.

wannasurf

Auto 4x4 T1Ns don't actually exist AFAIK. Only manual and occasionally SprintShift have ever been seen in the wild, and you don't want SprintShift.

For that price difference a proper rebuild sounds like the best option. The 5cyl is usually bulltproof, do you know what happened to yours?
I didn't think there would be an auto. Kinda makes sense to outlay a bit extra. Thanks for the feedback. ✌

wannasurf

well im pretty sure th e number one injector had been leaking for about 18 months without my realizing. I had the injectors rebuilt and i fitted them with new thicker seals after recutting the seats. It ran fine for about 5 weeks then went into limp mode 9ne day lost all power then developed knocking. The mechanic i took it to initially said he couldn't even turn the crank with breaker bar!

wannasurf

@wannasurf Phill, did you ever get it running again after cleaning out your black death last year? And if so what did you do with your dismantled injectors, did you get certified rebuilds or...?

I also notice your mileage has dropped 10,000 km in the last year, have you been fiddling with the odometer :laughing:

Keith.
haha i just guestimate (bad memory sorry). I had them rebuilt and fitted myself with thicker seals as recommended by diesel injector place.

wannasurf

I forgot to mention there was sand on the intake side of the air filter but none on the engine side. I did miss a couple of service (fuel filter only i did oil and oil filter myself). Im convinced it was the injector that did the damage however the turbo seemed to be getting very hot and making cracking sound when cooling.

Eric Experience

Wanna.
It is not possible to rebuild Sprinter injectors, plenty claim they can but it always ends in a broken piston, yours is probably just another case of bad work. A new piston and injector may get you going. Eric.

Top Bottom