Who here has owned both a VW bus and a Sprinter?

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis
Second picture San Felipe for sure!

I had too much fun in the bus to remember what the tools are...

autostaretx

Erratic Member
OK, I'll bite: I think #1 is for a splittie engine lid lock. #6 possibly for the flywheel nut? #4 slipped over a crankcase
stud, engaging the flywheel teeth while using #6? Been awhile...
Michael
Wrong on #1 (hint: it fits only *one* item, but it's an item common to non-automatic Beetles, Busses and Fast/Squarebacks)
Correct on #6 (it also fits the rear wheel axle nuts)((mine is wearing a 1/2-to-3/4inch drive adapter))
Correct on #4 (flywheel lock ... two different tooth spacings. I wonder if it would fit the Sprinter?)

#3 makes people *sooo* jealous... (hint: they're magnetic)((and there's a reason i have two)).

:thumbup:
--dick

calbiker

Second picture San Felipe for sure!
Yeah, San Felipe in 1988 was a very nice quaint town. I wouldn't stop there anymore these days. We went to Papas & Beer in Ensenada to watch the Bears - Eagles playoff game on that trip. The game turned into the Fog Bowl. Still remember that game.

Camping near Hearst Castle at Arroyo Laguna Beach. Those were the good old days when you can camp right off HW1. Had to jump the barbed wire fence to get to the beach. The pasture always had some huge black angus bulls.

Gol478.jpg

Last edited:

chipsterguy

1970 VW Bus, orange, was my first vehicle. Purchased in 1988 and drove it to college in Rochester, NY. Was fascinated by the slant shift pattern. Disassembled the engine the following summer to rebuild / replace the top end of the engine. Really fun vehicle.

Pictures of my Sprinter and friends bus to illustrate size difference...View attachment 176779View attachment 176780
Your post #20 pictures confirm that we were actually looking down on the VW Type 2 that we paced with in the Miami area. It definitely put older vs newer needs in perspective. We did fine with our 1966 VW wagon. Now that we've been spoiled by our T1N Sprinters there would be no going back.

:cheers: vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
POP QUIZ!!!

Identify the tool and its purpose:

View attachment 177049

I rate #1 , 2 and 3 the hardest....
hints: #1's square hole is 7.5mm wide, #3 is sized 17 mm
OK....
Number 1: was for removing the square-headed grub nut that held the shift rod (coming from up front) into the nose of the transmission.
Number 2: A centering tool for the shaft sticking out of the rear (engine end) of the transmission.
(When assembling the clutch on the engine's flywheel, one would use a spare tranny shaft to center the clutch during assembly)
Number 3: Remember the two upper engine mounting bolts? The ones you needed a thin arm to reach as you kept them from spinning as your helper secured the nuts (by reaching around the fan housing above the engine)?
These were magnetic wrenches ... you ducked under the car and put one on each upper bolt. Then *you* could be the one who reached in and secured the nuts.
Number 4: the flywheel lock
Number 5: a wrench for reaching the brake bleeders ... the odd shape reached around the wheel and into the restricted space
(i even left a hint with the straight American slotted wrench next to it)
Number 6: the afore-mentioned socket (with 3/4-to-1/2 socket adapter) for the engine gland nut (and beetle rear wheel axle nuts).

--dick (they have now been returned to the crypt)
p.s. one day i forgot to remove the magnetic wrenches from a beetle ... which drove off. I had to call them the next day and arrange a (re)visit to the shop so i could retrieve them (a week later).

the dude

'71 van . Replaced windows for jaulosie that would flap at speed . Rebuilt motor after trip though Jackson , Missippi . Drove 48 hours straight back to Long Island , NY doing 45 miles an hour . Used a Porsche 356 Zenith carb on a plenum manifold . Did a lot of fiberglassing of floors . Drove well on the sandy beaches of south shore LI . It ran well in all later years . Only the shift rod linkage should have been replaced which made me decide it was time to move on . I wish today I'd have it back to complete the replacement .

3Play

"These were magnetic wrenches ... you ducked under the car and put one on each upper bolt. Then *you* could be the one "

I have never heard of, or seen those, makes me want to go back in time and start all over again!
This reminded me about having a street legal rail type buggy in Az and the accessibility of everything hanging out in open space......, but I would have gone to great lengths to get those wrenches if I knew about them...
Who made them? Hazet?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
"These were magnetic wrenches ... you ducked under the car and put one on each upper bolt. Then *you* could be the one "

I have never heard of, or seen those, makes me want to go back in time and start all over again!
This reminded me about having a street legal rail type buggy in Az and the accessibility of everything hanging out in open space......, but I would have gone to great lengths to get those wrenches if I knew about them...
Who made them? Hazet?
The raised name on the tool is "Stahlwille Uno" ... tool # 1024, made in Germany.

I totally forget *how* i found them ... it could've been on the Snap-On truck, but i tended to keep my eyes open for such beasties.

--dick

The raised name on the tool is "Stahlwille Uno" ... tool # 1024, made in Germany.

I totally forget *how* i found them ... it could've been on the Snap-On truck, but i tended to keep my eyes open for such beasties.

--dick
Didn't those bolts change over to a 1/2 round indexed type [D head] that were held by the casting?

vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Along the flavor of this thread ... the current "how i changed my horn" topic reminds me that, when i "test tooted" my test-drive Sprinter's horn, the VW heritage was solidly (if quietly) re-affirmed...

--dick (who broke out laughing sooooo many times during that first test-drive)

Last edited:

3Play

Most of my VWs had the captured D heads, but I don't know if they were original trannys to the vehicle.
The 72 Fastback that got the Mazda 13B Rotary engine, spit out the first clutch 2 days after the conversion.
It came out in tiny carbonized chunks... had to get a 2800LB custom Kennedy Engineering pressure plate.
I remember the D heads becaue the Rotary was so small that I could unbolt and rotate it in the engine compartment
and change the clutch in about 40 minutes....

bored

1954 Oval Window Bug Rag Top Semaphored
1957 Oval Window Bug
1983 GTI
1984 Scirroco Rag Top
1966 Mustang
1997 Eurovan Camper
Other Cars (daily drivers or when a girl convinced me to buy something practical)

Current Toys
1997 SS Camaro (Built by SLP) only 56 made
(2) 2005 C5 Corvettes
1946 Chevy Truck Dually Flat Bed
1966 Cadillac Deville
2005 Sprinter T1n

The VW's were the first cars I owned and thats when I realized how much I loved building cars

Top Bottom