Swivel seats with extra battery / espar

otisdog7

The latest DOG states that you can have the additional battery in the swivel seat base as opposed to the engine bay....will I have room for an espar heater in the swivel base for a heater, as well? I assume the (occasional) heat produced by the espar be less than the continuous heat from the engine if the extra battery would be mounted in the engine bay? Thoughts?

jjmcclure

2020 HR 144 4x4
There are a couple posts about successfully installing the espar next to the aux battery, but I have not seen one with the low pedestal swivels. From the pics, it seems like it would work.

erik.wahlstrom

I have an Espar with the battery in the seat. I built a bracket to slightly offset the battery. No drilling required. My swivels are not factory though but I suspect you can make it fit.

Revik

Just installed an Espar in a factory swivel without issues. It did not have a spare battery under the seat but I have done it with aftermarket swivels and battery without issue. So I would say yes you can.

rob cote

I wish that it was more common to use nomenclature more specific than the brand name. Espar makes several models of heater, so it's hard to say definitively.

The S3 D5E I installed gets kinda toasty, but for reasonably short periods. The duty cycle is very low. It seems like it would probably be okay in the battery compartment. Although I'm sure the battery would prefer it not in there.

A consideration - I installed the heater inside the engine bay. I think it's where the auxiliary battery used to go? I'm not certain. It's on the passenger's side inner fender, near the firewall. Just want to throw that out there as an option because it works. I know it's tough to find places for things because so much stuff hasn't been tried on these vans yet. Or at least hasn't been well documented.

rob cote

I don't have any great pictures at the moment but I'm working on it. I've only JUST finished up the system installation.

We may be talking about different heaters though (this is why only using the manufacturer name is problematic) because the S3 D5E only makes hot coolant. This is routed to and from the passenger compartment via (2) 3/4" coolant hoses. A water-to-air heat exchanger inside the van produces the hot air. Hopefully that makes sense!

Top Bottom