Carpet slide out

Robbob

I'm looking for some advice on removing the carpet under the slide-out on my '06 View 23J. Does it even come out? I've spent a fair amount of time with it and have come to the possible realization that it doesn't come out, that you make the best of the situation by trimming and pushing the carpet out of the way to allow the vinyl floor planks to be pushed under the slide as much as possible.
I also need to know what the purpose of a black, square, metal, hook is that's bolted to the rear end of the slide out floor. I bought the vehicle used, it had nothing attached to the hook and the carpet is wedged under it. I can cut the bolts and possibly remove the hook (and carpet wedged beneath) but I'd like to know what its original purpose was before doing that, once its removed it ain't going back.
Thanks

WinnieView1

I'm looking for some advice on removing the carpet under the slide-out on my '06 View 23J. Does it even come out? I've spent a fair amount of time with it and have come to the possible realization that it doesn't come out, that you make the best of the situation by trimming and pushing the carpet out of the way to allow the vinyl floor planks to be pushed under the slide as much as possible.
I also need to know what the purpose of a black, square, metal, hook is that's bolted to the rear end of the slide out floor. I bought the vehicle used, it had nothing attached to the hook and the carpet is wedged under it. I can cut the bolts and possibly remove the hook (and carpet wedged beneath) but I'd like to know what its original purpose was before doing that, once its removed it ain't going back.
Thanks
Can you post some pictures of what you are referring to?

Alphacarina

2006 Itasca Navion 23H
The carpeting was installed before the slide was put in - If you wanted to recarpet, the procedure for doing that involves getting the slide out of the coach, sitting on a pair of sawhorses and then you can staple the new carpeting to the floor, just like the original was installed. Hopefully since you want to do away with the carpeting, you can cut it back far enough under the slide so you won't need to remove it

I think all these coaches came with a strap to fasten the slide when it's fully retracted and that may be the hook you're referring to. Mine is on the forward end, just behind the drivers seat. Like yours, the actual strap was missing when i bought mine used

Don

Robbob

The carpeting was installed before the slide was put in - If you wanted to recarpet, the procedure for doing that involves getting the slide out of the coach, sitting on a pair of sawhorses and then you can staple the new carpeting to the floor, just like the original was installed. Hopefully since you want to do away with the carpeting, you can cut it back far enough under the slide so you won't need to remove it

I think all these coaches came with a strap to fasten the slide when it's fully retracted and that may be the hook you're referring to. Mine is on the forward end, just behind the drivers seat. Like yours, the actual strap was missing when i bought mine used

Don
The hook does look like a strap attachment point and it makes sense, but to what does the other end of the strap attach?
Now, if I can just get the hook attachment removed (the bolts are too long to just pull out underneath and will need to be cut) as well as the wrench that disappeared under the slide while unbolting the hook.

WinnieView1

The hook attachment is an odd thing to see there. We recently removed the couch bed from the slideout of our 24G to replace it with a reclining loveseat and there was nothing like that.
We lost a small wrench in the engine bay of a family member's car months ago while doing some work but didn't have a strong enough telescoping magnet to retrieve it, only we know it's there. ;)
But we would not want to leave something like that under a slideout.

Alphacarina

2006 Itasca Navion 23H
Yeah, that hook isn't the tiedown point. I have no idea what it was used for - My 23H doesn't have anything like that either. All of those bolts were installed before the slide was put into the coach - Even if you take the nuts off, there may not be room to get the bolts out from under the slide. Maybe, if you cut them off flush with the top of the wood??

Don

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis
It is a "latch" attachment for a childs car seat. I have a build post or thread on here somewhere where I pulled the carpet and put down vinyl.. Ummmm, thats my picture! Find the thread, I'll answer what I can.

The hook to keep the slide in is a chrome bubble type thing in the front with one on the wall too... has a "T" shaped cut out. I just cut the carpet back as far as I could, there is a 1x2" trip piece on the front of the slide floor, I pulled that and cut further to the angled pine piece mounted to the coach. I tried some fancy thin vinyl floor trim pieces and glue them down but they all snapped off with use.

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis

Forest

Here is how I pulled mine out. I wanted to get it out because we live on a dirt road but you really don't need to.
Before I did this pull I loosened the staples for outside underneath. You have to pull the gasket back from the top and use a flat bar. then I latched on with the two C clamps and some 1X4. The recite strap wasn't strong enough so I used it to transition from the come a long to the C clamps.

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom