VS30 monitoring: UltraGauge MX/EMPlus vs Torque for OM651?

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
Hi,
1. is anyone using an UltraGauge on a VS30? Which engine and which UltraGauge (MX or EM Plus)?

2. If I'm going to have an Autel MX808 (or whatever cheaper model supports VS30 in the future), is there any point to have the Readiness Monitors on the UltraGauge EM Plus (not avail on MX)? Are these useful during normal driving, or just when there's a code thrown?

(The Performance Functions look like they're just for timing 0-60 and braking speeds, afaict)

3. Is there anything the Torque App (std or Pro version) does significantly better than the UltraGauge?
I have a spare Android phone, but leaving it on the dash full-time is not wise from a security perspective, and I'd probably forget to put it back on every trip.

from https://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/support/ultragauge-mx-FAQ.htm
"How is the UltraGauge MX different from the EM plus?
The EM Plus and the MX are identical, except that each provide the following additional features:

Ultragauge MX: Ability to access manufacturer parameters, if manufacturer codes are known.
Ultragauge Plus: Readiness Monitors & Performance Functions

The additional features in the EM Plus are not available on the MX, and the MX feature is not available on the EM Plus."

See also https://ultra-gauge.com/ZC/

Thanks!

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I used Torque on several cars and when it can be good deal money-wise it takes some time to program and then you have to observe battery draw on your android.
Those things + GPS can suck lot of power and having USB plug on my van - it is using all cable power for running, so it is not charging the battery.
When using android on battery power - it is getting pretty hot
Also check static draw on OBD plugs. I know that ScanGauge can be left on permanently and it is having static draw close to 0.
Had monitoring dongle left 1 time and it killed my battery overnight.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
BTW I went on Ultragauge site and it is NOT supporting V6 Sprinters at all. Only I4 models for my MY
At least I think it does, as it says 2.4l.
Not the manufacturer I would trust.

Last edited:

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
BTW I went on Ultragauge site and it is NOT supporting V6 Sprinters at all. Only I4 models for my MY
At least I think it does, as it says 2.4l.
Not the manufacturer I would trust.
Yeah, their site isn't very clear, which is why I've posted this thread.

Re power, devices can put themselves to sleep if they're well-designed, but I don't know which ones are.

45Kevin

A lot of the info you get from the Torque app is available through MBUX if your van has that option.
I can show a screen that shows HP and torque, or various fluid temps and pressures.
I haven't explored the full range available though.
I don't know if boost psi or EGTs are available.

Top Bottom