Replacement Low Profile Rooftop Air Conditioner Options

onemanvan

Always great to have alternatives, and the promise of being able to keep the cabinetry as-is is tempting. A couple of reasons why I will probably still go with the RTX 2000:
- smaller company compared to Dometic so spare parts could become a problem
- the need to work with an HVAC shop to get the lines filled
- if there is a leak you can't just return the unit
- concerns about heat development near the compressor. The refrigerant gets hot when compressed. How hot will the compressor get from that? The line going from compressor to condenser unit can/must be insulated, but not sure about the compressor itself.
It would probably be necessary to add a 12v mushroom air exhaust vent/fan on the roof ( adjacent to the vent for the holding tanks ) and a fresh air intake louvered vent on the rear fiberglass wall to exhaust the heat generated by the compressor.

Another advantage to this approach is that it free's up space on the roof for solar panels. In theory if you could get 200 watts of solar from the area where the Kerstner A/C was mounted, 200 watts from solar panels mounted on the 'nose cone' of the roof AND 200 watts of portable solar then this A/C could run off solar power alone. IE: 600 watts divided by 12 volts equals 50 amps... Obviously that's under an 'ideal' solar gain scenario!

Just thinking outside the box:)

K.C.

I have one on order at nomadic cooling. I'm hoping that a honda 1000 generator and my victron inverter will power it if I need to run it all day for some reason. Mainly it's useful for sleeping When driving or stopped for 8 hours overnight on cross country drives at night.
Did you ever get yours mounted? Thinking of ordering one.

Bernd Pfrommer

Did you ever get yours mounted? Thinking of ordering one.
I'm currently converting our westy for the rtx 2000. Here's a picture of how the new hole relates to the old one. You can see where I covered up the old hole with temp board, right before laying down the fiberglass. I have measured several times and the new hole should be good, but I really only believe it when it's actually installed and running.
Notice that I closed the two vent holes because I did not want to move the AC off center, and the vents were colliding with the RTX 2000 which is much shorter, but in turn wider than the original unit.
I tested the RTX 2000 on the ground to make sure it works. It draws close to 50A when running full power. In "eco" mode it draws about 20A and is really quiet. We should finish the conversion no later than end of next week at which point I'll post more pictures and details of the install.

Attachments

K.C.

I'm currently converting our westy for the rtx 2000. Here's a picture of how the new hole relates to the old one. You can see where I covered up the old hole with temp board, right before laying down the fiberglass. I have measured several times and the new hole should be good, but I really only believe it when it's actually installed and running.
Notice that I closed the two vent holes because I did not want to move the AC off center, and the vents were colliding with the RTX 2000 which is much shorter, but in turn wider than the original unit.
I tested the RTX 2000 on the ground to make sure it works. It draws close to 50A when running full power. In "eco" mode it draws about 20A and is really quiet. We should finish the conversion no later than end of next week at which point I'll post more pictures and details of the install.
Thx! Looks at this but concerned about it all fitting into the cabinet space to reuse the original vents. Are you doing this too?

Bernd Pfrommer

Thx! Looks at this but concerned about it all fitting into the cabinet space to reuse the original vents. Are you doing this too?
Nope, the plan is to cut out the center part of the AC cabinet, or replace it completely. Installing the RTX means major surgery, no doubt.

MNBrad

2020 170 4x4
I think I'm giving up on a the rooftop A/C. I'd consider below the van. I don't have the space up top with my solar and my fan. And I don't want to give up headspace in my van being 6'2". So... I'm now thinking 2 fans might be enough for me. One on intake with one blowing out.
Anyone else work that angle and care to comment on it's efficiency in keeping you cool enough in high heat?

grozier

We do not camp in particularly hot weather, but the two things that help tremendously is a fan in the bathroom and, when you arrive on site, open the hood to let the heat out. The latter is a game changer.

Bernd Pfrommer

This looks like another viable alternative. Cost is about $2.6k but currently out of stock. I never heard of the company before but I believe they are better known for their marine stuff.

Top Bottom