Emissions fix available for 09-16 Sprinter model year coaches.

WinnieView1

Has any one had the recall done and did it effect drivability.
Ours was completed last Friday but have only made two trips totaling 40 miles; we didn't notice any changes in driving, the quiet and smooth powerplant, perhaps a slight smell of some of the new exhaust components when coming to a stop.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I have my 4cylinder at dealer right now.
All that is listed is new Nox sensor and software update.
Don't expect much difference.

Bone Head

2014 LTV Unity MB
Mines scheduled at my dealership as soon as they get all the parts in. I guess parts just started to arrive at the dealership last week.

Bob

JoePhoenix

2016 Unity TB
Anyone know what the fuel mileage implications are for this new device/set-up? How bad a hit are we going to take if we make this change?

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Anyone know what the fuel mileage implications are for this new device/set-up? How bad a hit are we going to take if we make this change?
So far the few members who did modifications are coming with very nice reviews, Engines run smoother, cooler. Transmission shifting got adjusted to lower rpm, what might explain some of the above, but so far nothing bad.
Hard to beat 4 years warranty, especially when you have vehicle with 267,000 miles.
The dealer refused to do my modification becouse I have small leak on flex pipe.
I read all the papers and don't think they have the right to do so, so I am going to other dealer and I am going to play hardball with them.

WinnieView1

We were one of the first to have ours completed two weeks ago but have not driven enough miles to have any comparison. There are many others who have had theirs completed but we have yet to hear from them if there's any noticeable difference.
MB does state that the vehicle could use more DEF but that has yet to be determined as well.

ddoright

I just got my notice yesterday. Keep reporting your drivability observations after the fix, as you get more miles on it. I am especially interested in reports of those who live in the Rockys as to any loss of power climbing hills at elevation, and fuel milage differences.

WinnieView1

We've only put 50 miles on so far with another 50 planned for the weekend (it's a motorhome and the weather is still reasonable in our area) ;)
We probably won't be climbing any 6% or more grades for another couple of months.

ddoright

Got the recall done yesterday. Here is my experience:

Each Sprinter is tested and only certain repairs are done on each vehicle. My 2016 Unity TB on a 3500 Chassis, only needed new NOx sensors and a computer update. Maybe it was the dealer and the Tech getting his rhythm down but I was at the dealer for 5 hours with an appointment. Service writer said that was typical for that recall ( The letter said11/2 hours is what to expect.) Because of Covid restrictions in CA I had to sit outside. They would have taken me somewhere but I live 50 miles away and most of the restaurants, movie etc are still locked down.

Performance wise I noticed no loss of performance driving 56 miles back home, including city driving and climbing 6000' to my home. I could still run 65 mph up a 6% grade. It does shift at a lower RPM into 2nd from 1st and other gears are also about 300 lower RPM shift point unless you push it. This may change as the computer learns and adjusts to my driving style.

So far I am pleased with the result.

The service writer told me not to file the rebate paperwork as they will do it for me and it only confuses Mercedes. I will wait a month and If if don't see a check from them I will file on my own.

WinnieView1

Got the recall done yesterday. Here is my experience:

The service writer told me not to file the rebate paperwork as they will do it for me and it only confuses Mercedes. I will wait a month and If if don't see a check from them I will file on my own.
Interesting (new) commitment from the service writer.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I am not sure if that is dealer testing, or MB is not letting dealers mess with the system and puts computer programs who tell them what to do.
When I ask 2 separate SA what the modifications will cover - they had no clue.
Only after the mods the SA was able to access the computer and give me actual drawings (coming form MB) what parts need to be replaced.

mikeme

2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6

This is interesting, (interesting in the I do not believe this to be true sense) because I do not think Mercedes is involved in the administration of the class action suit.

It is also not clear to me how your service advisor has the required information, or how he could sign the release for you.

I would think it best to go ahead and file.

1617922639387.png

ddoright

Kajtek1, I could not get the SA to tell me what exactly needed to be replaced before the test either, or a timeframe of how long the recall would take. The post service form shows that the catalyst passed and did not need replacing or any addition. Halfway through the visit the SA came to me and told me what needed replacing. It not a blanket part replacement.

Mikeme: I have read the letters and claim form and am skeptical too. He said things have evolved since the letter was written and less of a burden has been place on the owner. Time will tell. I have not thrown anything away and ready to provide the proper documentation way before the deadline. I would encourage others to follow the instruction in the letter to insure proper receipt of the money due in the settlement. I just added my experience as an interesting side note.

mikeme

2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6

See post number 134

On our first trip since the AEM installed, Noticed improved feedback on the instrument panel display regarding cruise control.

Last edited:

Bone Head

2014 LTV Unity MB
170 miles since AEM modification on a leisure trip through the drift less area of South Western Wisconsin in rolling hills and valleys. Mostly at 55 MPH where possible but often down to 45 MPH due to terrain. 19.9 MPG with no drivability issues. I filled up before and after the trip at the same station using the same pump for consistancy. Hardly noticed any difference other than I now have a cruise control setting indicator on the instrument cluster which was never there before.
I do run a scan gauge on my rig and it is telling me that I am getting about 30 MPG which is now false. I may need to re-calibrate it but haven"t yet looked into it. The scan gauge has always been close to accurate previously so I will look into it.

Bob

WinnieView1

Ours has the new CC indicator as well.
So besides the sticker under the hood and a web search you now know when driving a Sprinter if it has the AEM.
Just a piece of eye candy from the engineers.

Sawdoff

170 miles since AEM modification on a leisure trip through the drift less area of South Western Wisconsin in rolling hills and valleys. Mostly at 55 MPH where possible but often down to 45 MPH due to terrain. 19.9 MPG with no drivability issues. I filled up before and after the trip at the same station using the same pump for consistancy. Hardly noticed any difference other than I now have a cruise control setting indicator on the instrument cluster which was never there before.
I do run a scan gauge on my rig and it is telling me that I am getting about 30 MPG which is now false. I may need to re-calibrate it but haven"t yet looked into it. The scan gauge has always been close to accurate previously so I will look into it.

Bob
Bob, out of curiosoty, was your 19.9 mpg from the gauge on your instrument cluster; or did you do the math after your return fill up?
Bob Sears

Last edited:

Top Bottom